• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Net Treasures

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Net Treasures #2 doesn't have much to do with writing, which is why I post here in Chit Chat, but it's one of my favorite net treasures. It's Andrew Rogers' guitar tab collection, strictly for you old folks and anyone with a bit of musical nostalgia.
http://marcdashevsky.com/Ace/
Andrew Rogers' Guitar Tabs

Rogers published his tabs in the golden age of the Internet, back when it wasn't really monetized and people were eager to share. He created tabs for hundreds of songs and simply posted them for the benefit and enjoyment of other musicians. His tabs

And for just a taste of how appreciated he is among musicians, https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/remembering-the-tablature-king-andrew-rogers.1805203/

I learned SO many songs from his tabs in the 90's. Still have a few of them printed out in folders around here I'm sure. :)

Ahhh, I miss those days skip. Altavista, Netscape, Angelfire sites, the Geocities "neighborhoods", web-rings, early online game rooms, fandom sites and really, the best of the internet all before big money took over. Rogers' tabs were a treasure to many musicians and open mic-ers.

And I saw recently that Lycos is STILL around!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>the best of the internet all before big money took over
Yep. In my own field of history, there was a flowering of projects with professors putting all sorts of academic materials online. Few of those have survived, but Paul Halsall's Internet Sourcebook persists at Fordham, and De Re Militari has managed to do more than just survive. Many others have vanished with the retirement of their founder, or have been scooped up by quasi-commercial entities at put behind paywalls. *sigh*

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Net Treasures #1b
Pilgrims have traveled to Jerusalem since at least the 4th century, and have been recording their experience ever since. A number of these accounts have survived and were collected by a 19th century group called the Palestine Pilgrims' Text Society. It makes for a huge collection. Here is just a sample, the account written by Felix Fabri in the 15th century.
The library of the Palestine Pilgrims' Text Society : Palestine Pilgrims' Text Society, London : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
If you look at the bottom of that page, you'll find links to other accounts. Some of these are thin and dull, others quite colorful. Reading medieval texts can be a chore, but for those willing to do a bit of wading (and maybe a few deep dives) you'll find much that is rewarding in this huge collection.

BTW, it's #1b because it's a sub-set of the whole Internet Archive collection of texts. I'll have a few others down the road.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yeah, it's been a while, but I haven't forgotten! Here's a lovely, obscure treasure. Admittedly this is going to be of interest only to a very few, but if you're looking for something like this, where else ya gonna find it?

'From keel to truck', a marine dictionary in English, French and German : Henri Paasch : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

A dictionary of ship terms from 1885. With lots of illustrations. Cool, right? But this one has the nautical terms in English, French and German!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie