• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Nook HD and HD+

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm an advocate for the Nook product line. Anyone else hyped about the new Nooks? You didn't hear about them? What? Check it out here

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Looks nice, and I like Nooks, but I confess I'll probably go with the Kindle Fire HD (in fact I'm already planning to purchase one).

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Did you know that the Kindle doesn't come with a charger ($20) and has ads on it? You have to pay, yes I said PAY, $15 to remove the ads from the Kindle HD

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I have ads on my e-ink Kindle. They only come on during the lock screen. Same for the new version. So they're non-intrusive, and I've actually found them useful a few times (like an ad to get $5 off a new case or something). In other words, that doesn't bother me.

And I have half a dozen mini-USB chargers already, and it does come with an mini-USB cord you can charge from your computer. The actual wall charger is $9.99 if you order it at the same time, and $19.99 separately. But again there are three mini-USB chargers in my bedroom at this very moment, and a handful of others in drawers elsewhere :)

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Oh well, I tried. I need to start a Nook revolution and you're not helping.....

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Oh well, I tried. I need to start a Nook revolution and you're not helping.....

I love the Nook, don't get me wrong. But I have an Amazon Prime account, and further my book is published through the Kindle Select program, so it makes sense for me to stick with that platform I think.

srcroft

Minstrel
I think like Walmart, amazon will destroy B&N eventually. Because B&N has overhead--in this economy hurts them. I dunno, I love my nook, but Im going to get a basic kindle.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Barnes & Noble has two conflicting interests, the Nook and the brick-and-mortar stores. I don't trust that as a business model. I'm not the only one - there's been a steady slew of reports and speculation that the Nook will eventually be a separate entity. But the two seem at odds to me, and I'd rather go with a company that's "all-in" with ebooks. That's Amazon.

You're making something of a long-term commitment with it, so choose carefully.

I think like Walmart, amazon will destroy B&N eventually. Because B&N has overhead--in this economy hurts them. I dunno, I love my nook, but Im going to get a basic kindle.

I've gone to B&Ns all over New York City, and half of them have shut down. But destroy? There's a market for bookstores that Walmart and Amazon can't really fill. I think the weening has already happened; Borders fell, after all, and they weren't the only one. I think if B&N made it this far, they'll whether through it for quite a while longer. And if they fail, I think it'll be because someone found a better model for a bookstore that works in the new atmosphere, and not because there are no longer bookstores.

Last edited:

srcroft

Minstrel
Agreed. Nook sales are terrible for indie--but good for published works. Maybe I will ebay My hybrid nook touch, it was 299$ got leather case, reading light, tons of books (classics mostly), and orange custom back. Anyone want dibs? Before it goes to craigslist or ebay heh -- obviously would be set way cheaper

Ankari

Hero Breaker
FYI:

Nook HD and Nook HD+ now have Google Play. Previously, you could only download apps through B&N Apps store. If I'm not mistaken, the Kindle Fire HD still restricts you to the Amazon App store, correct?

autumn_dragon

I've had Nooks since the first one (still have them, actually). I recently purchased the Nook HD+. I had thought about a Kindle, but after doing my research, I stayed with the Nook. I do not want to have to pay extra to remove ads, I do not want to have to pay extra to get a charger, and I prefer the Nook because it can be expanded with an SD card.

I convinced my best friend to sell her Kindle and replace it with a Nook :)

Any other fellow Nook owners here that would like to be Nook friends? I have a a decent library that has many of 'Lend Me' options.