• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nezumi's Children: A Novel (about rats)

tlbodine

Troubadour
Treatment+4.jpg

Inside of Rocco's Pet Emporium, the animals are restless in their cages, sensing the oncoming storm.

But none feel the anxiety as keenly as the rats, whose dying prophet Nezumi has given them a dire warning: Get out, before the Big Water comes.

As the city trembles under the wrath of a violent storm, the rats of Rocco's Pet Emporium are faced with an insurmountable challenge: Escaping from the confines of their cage, the only world they have ever known, to seek shelter from the flood.

Abandoned by the humans they once worshiped as gods, the rats must now face disaster on their own.

But they are not alone.

The Wild Ones, long kept subdued by the threat of humans, have emerged to take over their rightful territory.

And they'll kill anyone who gets in their way

This is the first novel I've released (though I do have a book of short stories out in the world) and so far the response has been very good (although a few friends have messaged me to say the experience is bittersweet, because the book is a tearjerker).

In tone, consider this book "Watership Down" meets "Lord of the Flies" and you'll get pretty close -- it's a fast-paced look at the beauty and brutality of a rat's life. It's inspired by my years working in rat rescue, and I plan to donate a portion of my proceeds to rat rescues around the country as royalties start coming in.

Anyway -- that's that. By the way, if you're interested in reviewing it, drop me a line and I'll send a free copy your way.