• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Not sure if good cover...or horrible.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I like the first one, Sieryn. The second one is OK, but I don't like it as much, probably because of the face in it. Just my opinion.

danr62

Sage
Yeah, the font isn't great. Also, you want to brand your name, so make it bigger and move it to the top.

Huntress

I'd buy it! The cover for your second is great, IMHO. It reveals angst but also a strong female. I like, I like!

I don't care for too much abstract. This gives just a hint w/o overwhelming me.

They don't seem to be related. I know covers don't *have* to be related in a series, and I have not thought about this at all for my series, but the first one has a lot more sex appeal while also having the cool fade to shadow scenery bit going on. The second one seems like what somebody would have at a D&D session for their character.

Sieryn

Dreamer
yeah I'm totally scrapping the book 2 cover. I'm gonna go back to the guy I had take the photo's for the first one. Will post once re-done!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think it would be better without the person in the background and some tinkering to better frame the bleeding flower. I liked the face, but I think this is a case of an artist trying to hold on to something longer than he should (which happens all the time).

TWErvin2

Auror
My thoughts.

I agree with Devor about the person. In a thumbnail or even a smaller pic, it won't really show up too well anyway.

If you move the title toward the top, that would kill some of the dead space. Even behind the lettering, one could still recognize the knife. In this way, some of the smaller/thinner titling can be enalrged a bit.

I'm not a cover or layout expert. Just my two cents.

I like this much more than the previous iteration. I would personally shift the face SE slightly and move the dagger/rose to the right. I don't like that emptiness in the top right and asymmetry is nearly always more striking than symmetry.

first off I am an illustrator by trade.

As an artist I find it not that great and with a few tweaks it could be better. Pull the rose and sword down a bit so its not exactly centered on the cover. Put the series name at the top in small font, then below it put the title in that same large font. At the bottom -centered- put your name in large font, it is your book after all. AND IF POSSIBLE- I'd center the chin of the face next to the blade with the lips almost kissing it ( keep the eyes covered) and have blood pool over on the other side of the blade.

I think that would make for a more striking cover.