• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Number of Arcs in One Book

YohannIan

Dreamer
Hey there guys!
So I'm putting together this first book. But I'm wondering if there are too many arcs in it. The main bulk of the story only comes in halfway through the story.
1st half: takes place within local territory.
2nd half (the plot focus): takes place outside local territory.
The arcs have relations to one another, but the earlier ones don't directly relate to the main one. Still, they play an important role in depicting the scenario of the local territory in which many future plots will take place.

Should I speed things up towards the bulk of the story? Or include the arcs that come before.? Is there really a recommended number of arcs in one book?

Please and thanks.

zizban

Troubadour
A question: are are you intending to seek commercial publication for this or self publishing it? My answer depends on what you intend to do (re: if submitting commercially your book should be as stand alone as possible).

W.k. Trail

Scribe
I disagree, Ziz. I don't think that it matters how he's publishing, because it's very important that it be highly readable no matter where it ends up getting printed or distributed.

Yohann, I think that depends very much on how indispensible the first arc is to the plot. If it's really important, then there's no question - you need to keep it. If it's not important at all, why is it there? It isn't necessarily a requirement to have the entire book moving in the same direction, but if it doesn't flow properly and the reader's interest isn't maintained on both sides of the switch, you won't see people buying Book II.

If it's important but not particularly related, try to seed the first arc with teases about the second.

My fantasy has one major arc, trying for the 3-part act here... and a lot of smaller arcs that are related to character development and other goal seeking.

Prologue?

Could you condense the information in the first part into a prologue?

Another great idea for new writers is to put up a short story on Smashwords that introduces your world and gets people interested. You can put it on there for free, and then Amazon.com will match the price. So you'd be able to introduce your world and get people interested, while saving your main story arc for more proper long-form story.

I avoid prologues, I despise the things. Personally with two fairly independent story arcs, I would split into two books.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
That's really not enough information to answer the question. But if you think the two arcs are so far apart that it might be a problem, then I suggest you look at each of them separately, see if you can add some complexity to them, and consider breaking it up into two books.

YohannIan

Dreamer
I disagree, Ziz. I don't think that it matters how he's publishing, because it's very important that it be highly readable no matter where it ends up getting printed or distributed.

Yohann, I think that depends very much on how indispensible the first arc is to the plot. If it's really important, then there's no question - you need to keep it. If it's not important at all, why is it there? It isn't necessarily a requirement to have the entire book moving in the same direction, but if it doesn't flow properly and the reader's interest isn't maintained on both sides of the switch, you won't see people buying Book II.

If it's important but not particularly related, try to seed the first arc with teases about the second.

Thanks for the responses guys!
In reply to what W.K said..
My 'grand plan' is to publish the book of course haha! But you're right, either way, the story/book has to be written well, no matter where it ends up.

The reason why I can't so easily part with the initial arcs would be that they are somehow essential to the growth of the characters. Especially the main character. It would be highly improbable that he'd survive the later arc, unless he had some sort of preparation. Bear in mind that at the beginning of the story, he starts of as a novice. I also want to develop the relationship of the characters among themselves and the connections they have to their city (where the first part takes place)

YohannIan

Dreamer
That's really not enough information to answer the question. But if you think the two arcs are so far apart that it might be a problem, then I suggest you look at each of them separately, see if you can add some complexity to them, and consider breaking it up into two books.

Hmm..information..
Ok, its like this: my main character goes to this city (which is new to him) and he has to adapt and assimilate to the city, at the same time he has to put his own ambitions to work. The first part focuses on the friends he meets, and the culture of that new place. The second half takes the story beyond the walls of the city. The two halves are far apart in physical distance, yes. Because they have to travel from one place to the next. But elements in the earlier part, and characters introduced before will retain a form of relevance and importance within the later arc.

YohannIan said:
Hmm..information..
Ok, its like this: my main character goes to this city (which is new to him) and he has to adapt and assimilate to the city, at the same time he has to put his own ambitions to work. The first part focuses on the friends he meets, and the culture of that new place. The second half takes the story beyond the walls of the city. The two halves are far apart in physical distance, yes. Because they have to travel from one place to the next. But elements in the earlier part, and characters introduced before will retain a form of relevance and importance within the later arc.

I think you have three arcs here that can be unified, as I don't think any one arc can sustain an entire novel by itself. I also think that you are missing the middle arc, traveling from point A to B, throwing plenty of stuff in their way.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Hmm..information..

A story arc would be that element which carries from one segment into the next. If you're really changing story arcs you should be moving from book 1 to book 2. Even an extreme change in setting doesn't mean you've changed story arcs and can be just fine. In my opinion, be sure to foreshadow the second half of the book at a steady pace throughout the first half to ease the transition.

YohannIan

Dreamer
I think you have three arcs here that can be unified, as I don't think any one arc can sustain an entire novel by itself. I also think that you are missing the middle arc, traveling from point A to B, throwing plenty of stuff in their way.

In the previous drafts, I did have plans for things that happened along the way. But that content was kind of tentative because I wasn't sure if the book was going to be too long. If the whole thing isn't too long, then maybe I could slot in a few things.

YohannIan

Dreamer
A story arc would be that element which carries from one segment into the next. If you're really changing story arcs you should be moving from book 1 to book 2. Even an extreme change in setting doesn't mean you've changed story arcs and can be just fine. In my opinion, be sure to foreshadow the second half of the book at a steady pace throughout the first half to ease the transition.

Hmm..point well taken. Thanks for the advice. :)

If the whole thing isn't too long, then maybe I could slot in a few things.

It definitely won't be too long, if what you're fitting in is essential.

My trilogy that I'm writing Legend of Alm - Legend of Alm home sounds a lot like your idea. My character travels around to many cities, learning new things that he applies on the road and at the next city he comes to. In between cities, he's traveling by foot or boat, things that both take some time, and it allows me a chance to have the character reflect. "In between" is the best place for your character to think, as it's natural and flowing.

YohannIan

Dreamer
It definitely won't be too long, if what you're fitting in is essential.

My trilogy that I'm writing Legend of Alm - Legend of Alm home sounds a lot like your idea. My character travels around to many cities, learning new things that he applies on the road and at the next city he comes to. In between cities, he's traveling by foot or boat, things that both take some time, and it allows me a chance to have the character reflect. "In between" is the best place for your character to think, as it's natural and flowing.

Wow, you got yours published! You've got something real going on there!
All right! I'll bear that in mind. Thanks!
But I'm just wondering if (in your story) each journey to a separate city stands out as a standalone book? Or do you have a few cities in the same book?

The cities in my story all relate to each other in that they exist in the same world. They are aware of each other, just like real cities. For example, in my life, I know about Philadelphia: Cream Cheese, Brotherly Love. Perhaps, as an example, my MC goes to Philadelphia, and learns about or deals with Cream Cheese and the Liberty Bell. Then, they discover a clue in the mystery or receive instruction that leads them to Los Angeles, where they learn about or deal with Hollywood or transvestites.

Cities are a good way to have a physically concentrated idea represented in your story. The citizens or politicians of a city usually have a distinct temperament, and so the idea of a character moving through many cities is like them moving through many worlds, learning and changing along the way.