• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

One god worshipped by individual parts

Swordfry

Troubadour
Forgive me for the vague title, I had a hard time coming up with a good one.

In my stories, there is really only one god. However, there are different peoples that worship different parts of this god, thinking that it is another god. For example: some worship the sun and its life giving light. Some worship a water god, some worship the sculptor, representing the earth carving mastership of this god. But all the while, I will allude to the readers that there is only one god, worshipped in parts. But all the people believe there are multiple gods.

Do you think this is a good idea?

To me it would be no different than the Church of the Seven on GoT. It's one god, but 7 aspects. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

DeathtoTrite

Troubadour
Gods having different aspects pops up everywhere, Christianity, Hinduism (rl examples), Percy Jackson, GoT, etc. If you can make it work, all the power to you.

Saigonnus

Auror
I use much the same in my novel in progress. Aeshir is the name of the goddess; at least the name the principal civilization knows her by. Others call her Ushwar; Lord of Duty, or The Matriarch of Gul, or whatever else. Each culture believes in the one god or goddess, but call her by a different name and use slightly different religious rites to worship her. I think it is a beautifully simplistic way of handing a monotheism in stories.

Noldona

Scribe
The Druids actually taught that all gods from every religion are just different facets of the same god. So, if it can work for a real life religion, I don't see why it can't work for a story.

Saigonnus

Auror
I would question how whether there's just one god or thousands of gods would matter for the plot

In my story, it is implied by the Goddess herself that she has many names and many faces. Truthfully though, it has little effect on the story as a whole at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By your topic title I thought you were talking about people worshiping different body parts of the god. Like people worshiping their feet or hands. :eek2:

Saigonnus

Auror
"Oh almighty left foot, please take the lead and aid right foot to keep me on the straight and narrow."

"Wise eyes, please help me see what is before me plainly, allow me to identify friend from foe easily."

Sounds legit to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk