• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Online Serial Storytelling

Addison

Auror
If it's done right it can be. Some authors who do this, whether the work is published or not, don't give a full scene. The give enough to present a character to care about and then cut off at a point where the reader goes, "Wait..what? Where's the rest? Come on!"

Nightender

Minstrel
That's not a bad thought, Addison. However, I have come to the thought that I need to find ways to clean the story up more. One of the ways I've been doing this is to develop more visual styles and social customs for the world the story takes place in. The other way, is to write actual short stories that take place in the same world. I've got one story almost ready to be sent to an anthology, and I thought of another just last week.

Addison

Auror
Like ghost plots? I read on J.K Rowling's site that she had little stories, character histories and such that she either never put in the book or cut out. Maybe writing one of these and posting can get the reader hooked.

Nightender

Minstrel
The first one I have is for a story involving a map to a secretive city. That's the story I nearly have finished and will soon be sending to an anthology.

The second story I have in mind would be more of a dark legend from the same world. It would be about demons rising from underground to attack a city.

Should I get far enough along where I have something that I don't need to submit elsewhere, I think I could post a story, if only to give a sample of what the real story will include.