• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Operating system of choice?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
This thing came with Win7, and I see no reason to upgrade.

And yes, now that you mention it, I do a lot of gaming. :)

Yeah, at the current upgrade price I don't think it is worth it. At the beginning of the year, when the upgrade was really cheap, I think the performance improvement made it worth doing. But for $119 you might as well stick with Win 7 until you get a new computer down the road.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I'm using Windows 7 on an SSD - running well for me. I also have Ubuntu running on an older laptop that used to have XP, to give it a try.

Personally, most of it is just familiarity and knowledge - I know more about Windows, so I'm more comfortable navigating and troubleshooting it when I need to.

I've played around with Windows 8 for work stuff. I DO like it, but only on touch-screens. The controls are designed for touch, so they're not very intuitive through mouse/keyboard.

GeekDavid

Auror
Yeah, at the current upgrade price I don't think it is worth it. At the beginning of the year, when the upgrade was really cheap, I think the performance improvement made it worth doing. But for $119 you might as well stick with Win 7 until you get a new computer down the road.

I am seriously looking at the Microsoft Surface for a more mobile computing solution than my current laptop... but that'll have to wait till I either get another day job or make enough off Librarian to afford to make writing my day job. :)