• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ouat

Addison

Auror
Okay we're closing in on the end of the season. And I gotta say I hope they finish it with a bang, take a well-deserved, long overdue vacation, and make their fifth season as good as the first.

They're kinda losing me. (Spoiler Alert)

In their most recent episode they had one element which I found interesting. Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold winds up in the hospital after having a heart attack. Why did he have the heart attack? Apparently being magically-evil and going through such emotional trauma delivers physical damage. I also found it interesting, and ironic, how Rumpel can send people to all other realms but none of these methods are to this world.

The part I didn't like? You guessed it, Zelena. SERIOUSLY!? That was reaching! Dead is dead, unless you're in the Marvel or DC universe according to my brother. It's like they realized that to keep the story going they needed Rumpel to have some leverage on Regina and realized all the players who could do it were either in Storybrooke already, or were killed off. That doesn't mean they had to invent a story for their idea to make more sense.

Instead of this they could have revealed that, in fact, Robin and Roland were in Storybrooke but were prisoners. Or maybe, while in Manhattan, Robin was either unable to get the elixir or was arrested and the elixir returned, so in fear, anger and his own personality, Gold used his natural cunning to keep Robin in jail and, as consequence, Roland would be taken away as Marian has no job history and so forth. The threat of Robin losing his son, and losing a second son, would compel Regina to do as Gold says.

The Enchanted Forest story was nice. I could see how Robin and Marian were and such.

The title of the next episode is catchy "Sympathy for the DeVill". It looks promising, mostly because Cruella isn't a fairy tale character like Snow, Cinderella and such so it will be interesting to see how they pull her off.

But I gotta say I'm kinda seeing how the episode "Lucy" will play out. After the "DeVill" episode Emma and Regina leave Storybrooke to save Robin and in their quest Lucy pops in and helps out, or makes some appearance which triggers the final events, and they all head back to Storybrooke.

Horowitz! Kitsis! Please! You did the same thing in LOST. No repeats, new show, please! Get back to the roots, those dramatic, enticing, entertaining roots! Thank you. :)

Addison

Auror
Oh-kay. I love the show, the character connections and everything, the mix of fantasy, drama and modern world.

It's taken a dark turn as the Savior turns dark. :shudder:

But seriously guys (Kitsis and Horowitz) what-the-heck. I stated in an earlier post that they didn't have to do Lily's character. They could have shown how Emma got so good at finding people, got her super power etc. Besides, they've left one question still unanswered. If you recall in season 1, Snow White had a little necklace bottle of Dark Fairy Dust. They could have made how she got the dust as her dark revelation and maybe what they did to avoid her end of that deal as another darker turn.

But they kinda screwed up. Lily was given the potential for great darkness. The potential, not the destiny. Like Regina said, we make our own destiny. So far Lily has only lied and stolen, to survive and keep those she cares about. That doesn't scream daughter of the Mistress of Hell.

I am trying to make an update without spoiling. This episode started, went and ended on a bubble so, it's up to you guys. The storylines are good and leading to a great finale. I just hope their fifth season gets back to basics. And, if Emma does go dark or dies or whatever then it could make a great fifth season. She was who people counted on for a Happy Ending. They've lost focus and inner strength to realize what they had before in the Enchanted Forest. The power to find their Happy Endings on their own.

Addison

Auror
Okay, the promo and recently released sneak peek has given me hope.

In the promo we see an evil Snow White almost rip out the pure-hearted (possibly bandit-queen) Regina. The promotional photos had me going back and checking things. Like Zelina in a wedding gown with Robin at the altar!? I'm really hoping he's the best man. Or Regina's date to the wedding.

In the promo we saw Emma locked in a tower, then we see her with a sword fighting the knight, Rumpelstiltskin? So it looks like the Author was an actual author before he was recruited.

As for the sneak peek...I have a suspcion. We saw Snow White accompanied by David and she snarled at Regina that she was responsible for Snow losing her true love. As I saw David right there I thought that either the author did some serious rewriting or the man we see is actually James, David's twin brother. And Snow is controlling him as an eye-candy of sorts as her true love Sheppard is dead.

That's just a theory anyway.

Also, Regina using a sling shot it cool, but if the villains are supposed to get their happy ending....why isn't she a queen with Snow locked in a dungeon or something? Guess we'll find out this Sunday.

Addison

Auror
The finale has replenished my faith and love in Once Upon a Time.

I loved Henry's huge involvement in the plot from the beginning. The universal flipping of the rules was interesting and exciting. Evil Snow was scary, she could give Evil Queen a good battle.

I am trying very hard not to give spoilers because you seriously have to watch this episode.

The only things I'm saying next are great cliff hangers. The challenge with Regina-Robin-Zelina still exists but Regina is taking it as a Hero. Then there's Henry's new job and the transfer of power for one character, a clean slate for another and a mystery for another, which could help that person find balance in their life.

Okay I am ending this post before I blab. Happy Writing! :)

Addison

Auror
My previous post said my faith has been replenished. The comic-con promo of Dark Emma has restored it more. I'm curious and excited to see what Kitsis and Horowitz do with the King Arthur legends.

Then I saw the kick-butt archer with the wild red hair.
Please-god-NO! I love the movie Brave, my sister does, even my beebee gun toting brother. But seriously they said that the last part of seven four and on would be them getting back to basics. Making their renditions of fairy tales. Brave was a rendition of lore and legend, now they're hinting that they'll being doing another rendition of a rendition. Seriously! Please have them cut it, or just have the character's looks inspired by Merida but the story completely different.

Seriously the brothers Grimm wrote more than three hundred fairy tales and legends. Then there's Hans Christian Anderson, Christopher Perrault, not to mention more material in Wonderland, Oz maybe, 1001 Arabian Nights and the lores and legends across the world. Millions of inspirational tales NOT from Disney or Pixar or Dreamworks.

{Deep breath, happy thoughts} Okay, I'm looking forward to the season five premier. Come on Kitsis and Horowitz, don't let us down!

Addison

Auror
Sorry for my absence guys.

Okay season 5 is going well so far. The premiere was amazing (Zelena has problems...Regina should have her on a regular schedule with Archie) For those of you who have not seen the episodes yet I'll be as clear and spoiler-free as possible. I apologize in advance if anything slips out.

From what I've seen in camelot Emma has...had...was putting up a great fight against the darkness. Sadly the Darkness seems to be like the Enchanted Forest's version of Venom with a touch of Carnage. The thing learns from past experiences, building its repertoire of magical knowledge and, because it used to be in Rumpelstiltskin, it knows Emma and it knows how to trick her, to get under her skin and into her heart. It almost succeeded, luckily her family arrived. Then they met the heroes of Camelot. My favorite part in the premier, it was a close race, is that Kitsis and Horowitz stuck to mythology when they revealed Merlin.
As Hook said, "You mean to tell me the most powerful wizard in all the realms is stuck inside a bloody tree?" True to mythology, thank you boys. It almost makes up for you bringing in Merida. Please know that Merida is one of my favorite Disney princesses but it took me back to season 4A, they made a rendition of a rendition. True "Brave" was based on several lores (I'm sure it's on one lore but I can't find my Celtic Lore book), but the boys didn't NEED to bring in Merida, they could have made their own character to show Emma's first test.
The end of the premiere was jaw dropping. Another curse, with the odds tipped toward evil as the curse was made without a savior being thrown in, and we got to see Dark Swan. And what she did to Sneezy, eep. We saw how tough and powerful Emma was against evils, now she's evil. Her friends and family clearly felt the chills that their past enemies felt before Emma kicked their butts. Worst is Emma has embraced the darkness and has her dagger. Ooh, and she erased the memories of everyone's time in Camelot so they don't remember what went wrong so they have no idea how to fix it.

Addison

Auror
Episode two started with the usual test of the town line. Let's review real quick . During the first curse, before Emma broke it, anyone who tried crossing it had something bad happen to them. Granny's heart attack, Cinderella's car and labor, Catherine abducted etc. After the first curse was broken crossing the line costed memory loss, reverting to their cursed selves. Zelena's curse had people abducted and turned into flying monkeys. The ice wall attacked anyone who tried and, after it fell, once someone crossed they could never come back.
Now if someone crosses they get turned into a tree. Emma seems to be a little more creative with her curse than the others. Putting the residents in the same prison on Merlin, the one person who can stop her.
With Emma evil and a forest of Camelot natives, people are looking for answers, a savior and excalibur. Yeah Arthur, his men and family are there but his sword is gone. Robin gives Regina a confidence boost after she has a tense banter with Emma during which Emma says something is coming that only a savior can stop. We soon realize what that is when the thing abducts Robin. Even with all the good Regina has done she doesn't believe in herself that she's good enough to be a savior. (Shocker, neither does Snow)
After going to Emma (who's partially responsible for the abduction after being tricked by the darkness to use magic to save Robin only for the cost of that magic to bite Regina in the butt) Emma proves, in my opinion, that she's still in there when she tells Regina that if she's really the savior, if she really wants to save Robin and the town to step and do what needs to be done.
Regina does so, giving herself to the evil in Robin's place. Then Snow comes and offers herself, then Charming, Leroy and so many others that the Fury leaves. Go Light!
The evil Jimmy Cricket that is Rumple's Dark ghost is still whispering in Emma's ear. (It occurs to me that he wouldn't be there if she's embraced the darkness so that furthers my belief that she's still fighting) In the end as we follow Emma we find Excalibur.

Ooh, on a cute sub-plot, Henry has a crush on a camelot girl Violet, who seems to have the same feelings for him. I did hear that the fifth episode is going to be very Henry so maybe he'll do something for his mom(s) and show Violet just how much of a knight and hero he is. Who knows, can't wait. The only thing I haven't figured out is if this season is going to be one whole season based around Emma's being the Dark One and Merlin destroying the darkness? Or if season 5 will be split like the last two, and if it is then what's in store for season 5B?

Addison

Auror
Just read an article about the show and the season. So it looks like the season will be broken but not so severely as the last two seasons. The 100th episode will show the middle and the switch. So the only fun guessing part will be what the switch will be about. So the first half could be Emma's going deeper into darkness and the second is her coming out. Or the first half could be Emma's embraced Darkness and the other could be an inner battle as the others get closer to getting Merlin. If you think about it he can't really destroy the darkness and save Emma if she's welcomed it inside her. Only when there's friction, a clear difference between Emma and the Darkness would he be able to save Emma and destroy the Darkness.

Although it raises a question. If Merlin is "the most powerful wizard in all the realms", having enough power to send the Snow Queen to our world and even himself to Emma then how come he didn't just kill the Darkness instead of binding it to a person? My theory is, as the writers are reaching into the mythology, that the Darkness is the soul of either Mordred or Morgan. Even when worlds are at stake there's a hesitancy when it involves killing family.

Addison

Auror
Heck of an episode!

Rumple is awake which is both good and bad. Good because he's not dead, Belle is happy and his wisdom and past experiences can help the team help Emma. Bad because Emma brought him back for a reason. We know what for- if her plan pans out- and there's no clear vision of how Rumple will lead his life with his clean slate. True he doesn't have the Darkness in him, he doesn't have those powerful temptations, but after hundreds of years with that magic teaching three powerful sorceresses he doesn't need the Darkness to use magic. He knows how to use it. So with his knowledge will he go back to the Magical Arts, if so will he go back to his dark ways or will he be a magical hero, like what Emma needs?

And wow with the twist in the Camelot tale. I got a sense about Arthur at the second episode when he and Guinevere were at the round table but I had no idea...I mean yikes. I think we're going to see a rude awakening around the message of "wrong thing for the right reason is still the wrong thing". I'd like to see just who slugs his senses and how.

I loved how the episode was very David/Charming centered. He hasn't gotten that much attention and opportunity to really show his stuff in a while. Which is a shame because there's great depth that hasn't been fully explored. His growth, fulfillment and renewed strength and determination, I hope his presence and part in future episodes stays strong and grows.

I gotta say there is still an enticing mystery to Merlin's prophecy and Merlin himself. We saw in the premiere that someone -undoubtedly Merlin- talked to a young Emma and warned her against pulling Excalibur from the stone. So either he projected himself from inside the tree or the tree thing happened after the first curse in which case Camelot was not affected. Although that last part is clear anyway.
But his prophecy said that the savior will free him from the tree. So it begs the question really with the present story line: Was he freed and left in Camelot so he wouldn't interfere in Dark Emma's plan? Will Emma regain control of her heart and fight back enough to grasp her light powers? Or, taking a deeper look, was Merlin referring to the Savior-born (Emma), or the Savior-made (Regina)?

Something that has been bugging me for a long time (Sn 2 is) about the dagger. It's purpose is to control the Dark One. But if someone is putting up a fight and winning as Emma did then the Darkness is a separate entity almost. So Regina could have used the dagger to forbid Emma from using the new dark magic and only use her light magic. Or even command the Darkness to write out its history to give them a leg up. Also if the dagger can control the Darkness is the immediate time, in the short run, like Anna, Zelena and Regina have, then why not the long run? From all the talk whatever someone says/commands while holding the dagger must be done. If a person commanded that every five years the Dark One must go to a special cave and destroy any walking dead types then that command will stick forever. So why didn't anyone ever command that the Dark One can never kill anyone? That the Dark One can not use their magic in moments of anger, vengeance, or pleasure of pain?

Speaking of the Darkness I strongly believe Savior Emma is still in there and fighting. As we saw with Rumple's history he sought the Darkness to save his son from dying in battle. Then he spent centuries pursuing the prophecy that he would be reunited with Bae in a land without magic. But if you think about it, Rumple was kinda along for the ride. We've seen that he is (Rumple in his own head, not the Darkness) is a wise and clever man. So how could he not notice after the first century that he was to be reunited-alive-with his sone -also alive- in a world without magic when BAe is not immortal? He'd realize what world he'd been taken to, hop over and be reunited sooner maybe. The Darkness was using Rumple's light, his pure desire, to cause its own mischief and chaos.
Now it's doing the same with Emma. I mean come on, if parents and family (all heroes in their own right) swore they'd free Emma of the evil and failed I'd be pissed, hurt, disappointed, betrayed. But I'd still care for them, for the people I love. I'd want to get my family back, to fix what the parents couldn't. The Darkness is using that same desire to cause its own chaos and Emma has the natural power and traits it needs to get it done.

....I'm now seeing just how epic this season will be, and we're still in the beginning.

Addison

Auror
Sorry for the the length of the last post. I had a lot to say and was excited. Today I realized I forgot one important item:

How the heck is Lancelot in Camelot?! Either he's a ghost clinging to the earth because of what's happening or the writers are doing a bit of reaching. Cora killed him, as we'll remember form season 2. She killed him, took his place and tried to trick and use the heroic group. Zelena's "resurrection" was a stretch (seriously was there no better way to test Regina's dedication to Light and Robin?) but this? Oh boy if Lancelot is in fact living flesh and blood there better be a really really good and valid story behind it. From what I've seen of the magic and world that makes believable sense, the only one who can die and come back is the Dark One. If the dead person is not the Dark One then dead is dead with no exceptions.

I've seen some photos of "Broken Kingdom". I think we'll be seeing Guinevere (or Violet, I couldn't really tell) in battle gear next to Lancelot so we may be getting a glimpse of Camelot before the Storybrookers arrived at a time when the love triangle was in full swing and -what may be- a vacation Rumple took to Camelot in his dark days. Like seriously Dark, it may be the lighting but he looked really evil in the photos.

Addison

Auror
While King Arthur isn't the deepest character to be in the main group I really hate him. I mean come on! Could someone tell me one or two words that can describe someone who is: obsessed, manipulative, lying, controlling, greedy, ignorant with a healthy dose of narcissist?

The episode had zero Storybrooke story. It focused on Camelot before and during the Storbrooker's vacation.

In the past we see that Merlin is in the tree. Since-and most likely before-Arthur started his journey. Merlin, from the tree via dream, told Arthur he would pull the sword from the stone and be king and all that good stuff. We see that Arthur and Guinevere have been friends since they were kids and Guin has supported Arthur since day one. Jumping ahead in time a bit we see that Arthur, now king, is obsessed with making excalibur whole. Guin and Lancelot, fearing for Arthur's well being (psychologically) use Merlin's Gauntlet to guide them to the dagger. From there we see the development of the love triangle and how Rumplestiltskin got the gauntlet. We also see Arthur's steps toward being a world class jerk. In exchange for the gauntlet Rumple gave Guin some of the Sand of Avalon, which can apparently enchant a person to see something broken as whole. Basically mass hypnosis in a bottle.

So Guin returns, Arthur through spyglass sees a tender (non kissing) moment between Guin and Lancelot as the latter leaves Camelot. She gets to the tower and says that they found the dagger. Arthur tears through her bag and she's ready to use the sand but can't bring herself to it. She has such faith that the man she loves is still in there. She tells Arthur, at his sniping, that there's nothing between her and lancelot but she will leave if he doesn't make the right choice. Arthur decides to have his cake and eat it to. Using the sand on Guin she forgets and he continues his plan with her full support. But I don't think it's really support if it's not genuine, you know?

In Storbrooker's Camelot we see the scene from the sneak peek, Emma following the voices, finding the dagger and nearly blasting Hook. But effects of the darkness plus using magic take a toll though. Emma collapses and Regina, Snow, Hook and Henry are right there. Charming arrives after a discussion with Arthur who tells him about the dagger and the relation to excalibur. (I have a feeling that he already knows the dark one is Emma) David says Arthur can help, Snow says they can't trust him. Regina and the others leave, Henry takes the couple to Violet's stable from which they go on a romantic horseback ride. Then we see a fight between the royal couple.

Cut back to the round table, Charming tells Arthur Lancelot is alive. In comes Guin and she's not happy at the news. David reveals that he brought the dagger, showing the box it's kept in. But when he opens it, no dagger. Snow swiped it and has met with Lancelot at Granny's. He then leads her to the vault where they proceed to hide it. Only Arthur has followed them. He threatens Lancelot's life, but Snow gives him the dagger. In a small monologue we see just how messed up Arthur's wiring is. He'll make excalibur whole, command Emma to free Merlin. When Merlin is out the first thing he'll apparently see is excalibur-before Arthur runs him through with it. Then he'll snuff out the darkness. He raises the dagger and summons Emma, but she doesn't come. Snow tricked him, it's a fake. Then we see that David followed, hearing everything. It was all part of the plan.

The three (four with prisoner Arthur) go to Granny's to try to figure out how to make excalibur whole so they can use it to help Emma. Only Arthur's soldiers are right outside. Through the back comes a few men, and Guinevere. Lancelot lights up only for his heart to visibly break when she frees Arthur and kisses him. She takes Lancelot's sword and excalibur before he's marched away. David says they can't lock them up cause their friends will know. Arthur says they won't, as he's hoping they'll help him. Uh, big fat no...until Guin approaches with the sands of avalon.

Cut back to the castle and we see Regina "wearing out the masonry" as Robin put it. Apparently she gets antsy when she doesn't know who to hate. Hmm. Then in come Snow and Charming, under the sands power, saying Arthur can be trusted and they should give him the dagger. WE take a trip to the dungeon and see the nice meet and greet between Lancelot and Merida. Now why does Arthur have her locked up?

I don't know, but in the sole Storybrooke scene we're in Emma's basement. She's holding a pink rose, the kind young Arthur gave young Guinevere. Rumple is tied to the gate behind her, telling her he remembers how the darkness felt and she doesn't have to give into it. He asks to be set free but she says no. He's just a dull knife and she knows how to sharpen him. She walks through a tunnel, we see her car and hear a strange noise. Merida is tied to the bumper. She spouts that she should have trusted her gut when they met, that Emma is a witch and she should have killed her. Emma agrees, saying she should have crushed her heart, then proceeds to rip it out. Has Merida get her bow and arrows from the car and tells her "there's a guy I know, you wouldn't like him, he's a coward. I need you to make him just like you. I need you to make him brave."

So now that we got a History of Camelot I'm hoping the next episode will focus back on what Emma's up to and all that. I mean we can see now how she got Dark. Enchanted parents were tricked to give Arthur the dagger, dagger made whole, Arthur goes evil king and we get Evil Emma. Or something along the lines, otherwise Emma's dagger wouldn't be separate. But I have a feeling this new curse is all Arthur's fault.

Addison

Auror
Sorry about the long post before. Had a lot to say.

Just came back to say-shortly- that I found some photos of season 5. Looks like a little happiness may be coming to Storybrooke, as it looks like there's a block party. So Henry just might get the girl. Maybe, via the sneak peek, having Emma help him find Violet's horse-and her happy ending, will put a little more light in her heart and have her fighting again.

The rest of the photos tell a bit more of the story. Hook, Robin, Bell and Regina find excalibur in Emma's basement (wonder if her dagger's there too) so they start piecing together her plan. There's also pictures of Regina and Emma chatting outside Regina's house, and Regina is hiding a dream catcher behind her back. Fits the title.

From what I understand, back in camelot, Emma and Regina will use a dreamcatcher on the tree to find out how Merlin got turned into a tree (or trapped inside), maybe-if they succeed-we'll find out why Arthur wants to kill him. Maybe Arthur himself is under the Avalon Sands power. But the photos of Storybrooke-Camelot showed some interesting things. Snow and Charming, under the sand power, are trying to get the dagger but it looks like Regina suspects something and-while holding it in their sight-might not be giving it up. We see a little gathering of the family at Granny's then we see Emma going apparently bad ass magical. She doesn't get the sleek outfit but she's clearly bringing it all, and the watching Henry and Regina are a little anxious after the fact. The question is, who or what was Emma using her magic against? Was she freeing Merlin? (If so where is he now?) Some other monster that protect an ingredient that will free Merlin? Or perhaps a shield against the sand, which Arthur may be trying to use on them?

Like I said before, I think, maybe Arthur himself is under the sand's power. He's obsessed with making the sword whole, now it's Emma's mission. I stated before I think that the Darkness is Mordred's soul and power and Merlin got transfigured by Morgan, or possibly the reverse. Whichever one is not the Darkness is probably staying on the sidelines (as people think they're dead) to snuff out the light and bring their coveted age of Darkness. I guess we'll find out in a week. Ooh! And we'll see Hook's past, his dad and his brother. We only got a small glimpse of that in season 3. It'll be fun to learn more about it.

Addison

Auror
Sorry about the long delay guys. Been out of town on a job and apartment hunt and have been studying like crazy for a license test.

So, episode 5, Dreamcatcher.

FINALLY HE'S FREE!! Right off the bat Merlin is a likable character. We've seen the extent of his powers, both with warning Emma when she was a kid, communicating with the apprentice in season 4 and who knows what else he's accomplished from the tree. Emma really busted out her powers to get him out, and Regina brandished her fireballs nicely against Arthur and his soldiers.
While Henry was a hero a few times in this episode I don't think it was the way he intended, even in Storybrooke, although it helped him get the girl. At least now in Storbrooke the group has an idea of what Emma's up to. (I still have have an inkling that Emma's under the sand. That or it's just Emma's flesh and the original Dark One is who's really talking, with Emma hanging on deep inside. Like Venom.)

The twist at the end, when it showed what Emma did in Camelot to get the elusive ingredient....yikes. She was putting up a fight but right there she let the darkness take over. She didn't have to do that, although had to do was ask Violet to help her and when it was done she can tell Henry. Okay so the sand theory not so likely after that.

Sorry if that's sketchy. It's been a while since that episode and I didn't catch the last one. Like I said I've been busy. I'll get it off ABC and get back to the thread. Happy Writing :)

Addison

Auror
Y' know what, if someone else could jump in and maybe add more for Dream Catcher and do Bear and the Bow, that would be great. It'll be fun to get other opinions and views on the arcs and characters. Come one, come all!

Addison

Auror
A perfectly time study break allowed me to watch tonight's episode "Nimue". First, an interesting thing at the end was that the next episode(s) are the 2 hour premier, yet I thought the two hour event was the 5A finale. Hm.

We saw Merlin's origin, looks like an escaped slave who found the Holy Grail. Wow. He drank, got magic and immortality and a forest (possibly Camelot) sprung up from his touch.

So, as the title said we see the story behind Nimue. Young woman, village attacked and demolished by evil person and she got out and wanted revenge by helping a certain pink flower to survive his terror. Instant click of love. Yet Merlin faced an problem, he's immortal, she's not. Hard to grow old and die with the person you loved with that. Yet we saw a little history of Excalibur, forged from the Holy Grail after being melted by the flame of Prometheus. I had a lot of theories about Nimue and the person who put Arthur in that tree. Wow was I right, the story behind it is interesting. Nimue accompanied Merlin to turn goblet into sword and, while he was making sure they were safe, she drank from the goblet. He didn't find out until the evil who destroyed her village "killed" her only for her to spring up and rip the guy's heart out. Merlin warned her not to crush it as it would turn her dark. She was so hungry for revenge, she crushed it. Just like that she turns into a turquoise fish lady. Well now we know how and why Dark Ones get the scaly look. How did excalibur become two? Nimue broke it against the prometheus stone.

We got a look into how and why Emma went dark. Her scenes in Camelot are all good and strong. Lovely moment between her and Hook during which he gives her a ring. Not a proposal dang it. But gives her strength in direction when she and Merlin get to the Prometheus place. She calls forth the original dark one, Nimue and does what Rumple did in the first episode. Controlling her through the dark magic. Emma's got Merlin pinned (whom can only be killed by a Dark One) about to kill him when Nimue makes a mistake of saying Emma was nothing. Emma snaps, puts Nimue in her place and gets the Prometheus ember out of her spirit. Merlin asks how it felt to take the right path. Her reply "Dammed Good." :)

But the others have a harder challenge. They have to get the rest of the blade. With an unexpected assist from Zelena, although to be fair she gave honest input on their first plans of invasion. She shows them the route she found to escape, on their condition Regina removes the cuff. They go in, agreeing to remove the cuff if it's legit, leaving Snow to guard. They reach Arthur at the round table with excalibur. Problem is they actually trusted Zelena to be decent. She faked pregnancy pains which allowed her to get out and take Snow hostage. She and Arthur are in league as she uses her magic to do to excalibur what merlin did to the tip. Only now the major blade tethers merlin. Arthur summons him, has him under control. Merlin teleports the group out, leaving him with snapped Arthur and insane Zelina.

The only things we see in Storybrooke are Emma's basement, Emma, Rumple, Nimue and the blade. In the end we see a Dark One reunion. The blade is reforged and, briefly, Good-Emma returns as Merlin's warning flashes through her head. Nimue and her "kids" goad her into taking it. EEp. Interesting fact though, while Emma doesn't have the scaly look, she does have the same hair-do as Nimue. I know I haven't done Bear and Bow, and it looks like no one else wanted to, so that's up next.

Addison

Auror
Bear and the Bow, a very Merida episode. A very brave spin off. Seriously guys you couldn't just make a rendition of some other Arthurian character or lore?

Anyway, in the past we see Merida and Lancelot freed from their cells. Soon after escape, and a warning from Merlin, Merida takes the magic wise Belle. As in knocks her out, puts her on a boat and takes her to Clan Den Broch. Merida instantly likes Belle when she threatens to whack her overboard with an oar. But she agrees to help Merida save her brothers, who face execution at the hands of the suitors from the movie. We see Merida's incredible bow skills, telling how great her late father was. Rest in peace King Fergus. "Always remember what you're shooting for and you'll never miss." Merida says. After seeing the impending execution of her brothers she asks Belle to whip up a potion to help. They reach her brothers, Merida states her claim to her throne. Which I stand by, a woman doesn't need a man to do her job or anything. She drinks the potion, but Belle switched it with water. "How do you expect them to follow you if you use magic? You need to prove yourself a queen." Bold move, but it works. Thanks to CGI and good acting Merida shoots three arrows - in flight with one arrow- and saves her brothers. She draws her sword, getting all the soldiers to kneel to her. Yay Merida!

In Storybrooke, oh man. Rumple sacrifices the tea cup to escape. He makes it to Belle via mine shaft realizing Emma let him escape because she's coming after Belle. Emma uses Merida's heart to sick her on the couple in the shop. They escape, Rumple driving them to the town line but Belle stops him. She walks away, maybe believing in him or just tired of being pulled around. But she walks into Merida, who has the real potion Belle made before. Cue the true-Brave-rip-off. The potion turns her into a HUGE bear. Belle tears away, about to identified from bear scat, when Rumple arrives. He says he's not running anymore and is under Merida's jaws when he throws magic in her mouth. (Magic which would have protected the couple from becoming trees), thus turning her back to human. They go back to Emma because, as Rumple said, she'll tear the town apart until she gets what she wants. They get to the basement where Rumple pushes the dark buttons of deal making to get MErida's heart and info on her brothers in exchange for him pulling out the sword. He succeeds and leaves with a warning that Emma made a mistake making him a hero. She says the darkness has faced and defeated heroes before. Rumple's confident. "Yes, but none of them were me." He's right, none of the heroes were ever the Dark One's before. I'd like to see how that plays out.

Addison

Auror
OOOOHHH!! So much to tell! Spoiler Alert!

First of all, Arthur is a stupid, lousy king. A royal jerk but that's as royal as he gets. The complete his arc through this two hour episode he tried to kill Hook, got beat (no killed) by Excalibur wielded by Emma. That's all he did for that part, but in the glimpse to the past we see that he slew Merida's Father, King Fergus. His reasons were further proof that he is a terrible king and has no idea how to be king or how/what makes a king. Fergus had gone to the Witch from the movie for magic which would secure his kingdom's future, which turned out to be a helm which, when worn, would empower the wearer to control his people. So Merida's arrow, fired form her father's bow, missed, taking a piece of Arthur's cloak. Arthur stabbed Fergus and took the helm from his body. Why then is he and his new partner Zelena back in Dun Broch after that battle looking for the helm? Fergus didn't wear it to battle. Ha! That's a real King. Arthur of course tries to kill Merida- a real ruler- for it, but fails. He and Zelena poof away. OOH, and he gets his butt kicked at the beginning! Haha! That was fun to watch...except when Arthur nearly killed a beloved character.

Good news, yet heart wrenching, is we finally see what made Emma go Dark. She saved her family and Merlin from Arthur and Zelena, pulling out some incredible magic. She confessed to Hook she's scared of letting go of the darkness because that means the future is open and waiting. Yet she wants a future with him. So sweet. That sweetness doesn't last long. In the diner Emma has the ember on high and puts dagger and blade in the ember only for Hook to fall. The blow from Excalibur, which Emma had healed, reopened and he's bleeding to death. Emma is in terror and panic. Hook tells her to finish it, put the sword together and rid the darkness. Everyone else agrees but she catches them by asking if they'd just let go if they had a chance to save their loved ones. Emma poofs off with the blades, in the clearing with the pink roses. Hook is out, knocking on death's door, if not through the threshold. Emma uses excalibur to put her darkness, some of it, into Hook to save his life. There in comes the price. For her to accomplish such a task she had to embrace it. In one act there came two Dark Ones.

In Storybrooke that comes to light. Creepy note first, Dark Emma had sped up Zelena's pregnancy and she's in labor. Regina is torn, as is Robin. Then out comes the baby girl. (I'm thinking her name will be Morgan) Regina is happy for Robin and sweet to the child. If you remember she cursed herself so she can't have kids. Then in poofs Emma. Regina is ready to protect the baby with a fight. Emma says she's not there for the baby and poofs out with Zelena. We then see her basement where Zelena and Hook are shackled. Zelena sees the array of magic equipment and deducts Emma wants to take Zelena's power. But Emma says she's wrong. She's going to put her Darkness into Zelena. She needed a vessel and wasn't about to harm an innocent baby. Hook tries to talk her out of it but no use. She goes upstairs when Regina and her parents arrive. Her parents are ready to do everything they can to save their daughter while Regina is ready to show Emma was Dark Magic really looks like. Emma, with excalibur, freezes the trio and puts up some kind of shield. In the basement Hook uses his enchanted hook to get the wrist band off Zelena and they both escape. But Hook isn't leaving until he's found someway of knowing what happened, of someway to help her. Selena's gone, obviously and Emma comes in. Hook found squid ink so Emma's stuck. Then in walks Zelena, acting very Zelena-like and we only see shears behind her back before she plunges them into Hook's chest. She taunts hook then holds out the dreamcatcher with his memories, where he sees what Emma did. Zelena proves it by removing the glamour form Excalibur, showing Hook's name on the blade. This episode ends with the two, in possession of Excalibur, facing Emma.

In DunBroch we bounce between the time of the war and the time after Merida saved her brothers. In the past we see Merida on the front lines for the first time. Fergus gives her his bow, as he carried it into his first battle so he thought it fitting for her to do the same. Then he lands the punch that he hired a tutor to train her in the art of war. Merida attacks the trainer to show her father wrong, but gets beat. Yet she's not upset when she sees the tutor is a woman. Mulan! The two train, Mulan complimenting Merida on her fast learning and knowing that winning a battle is about wisdom, not strength. Merida goes to the shore looking for her father, who is looking at the helm. She asks, after seeing his rousing speech, how he leads men into a battle where they'll die. He says they'll follow their leader into a battle where the leader themselves is willing to die. Merida and Mulan train only for Merida to realize Mulan's keeping her from the fight. We already know how that ends.

In current DunBroch Merida is about to be fully coronated when BANG go the doors as the witch strides in. Why is it that no one in that world can get through a wedding, coronation or anything like that without being interrupted? She tells them about Fergus' magic and the lack of payment. She threatens to curse the clans, turning everyone into bears, if she's not paid by sunset. So the search is on for the helm. Merida leaves on the quest, refusing her father would use the magic, and finds Mulan. Who has taken up a job as a bully. She's shaking down brutes for gold. Merida pays her to help. They get to the battlefield where Merida finds the foul arrow and the piece of the man's cloak. They intend to use it to find the man when in comes Arthur and Zelena. But the two villains leave, with Fergus' bow. Merida rides home, saying she'll renounce her crown and do everything she can to save the clans. Milan goes the witch and encounters her guard dog...who turns out to be Red. (She apparently, thanks to Tiny's help. got a magic bean from regrown bean pants and used it to come back to find others like her) The two race to Merida where they begin the scent tracking. They find Arthur, Red knocks Zelena out with sleeping powder. The clansmen arrive to help Merida, as even the three other leaders accept her (finally) as their queen as she was willing to give up her crown to save them. Back at the coronation Merida is finally coronated and in comes the witch. But she was never going to curse them, Fergus asked for magic to secure his clans and Merida's quest to save the clans told her what it meant to lead. The episode ended with us finding out Mulan went rogue because of a broken heart and leaving with Red to help her find others like her. Merida used the witch's coronation gift, I didn't catch the name (magic ale), to summon her father's spirit. They have a warm, tearful talk and hug. The last quote is Merida saying that Arthur has no idea what he's started. Oh please let there be a showdown!

Addison

Auror
This post is just thoughts on the promo for the next episode and a few other bits.

First, next episode looks like the long-standing hate between Hook and Gold is coming to a climactic battle as they agree to "finish what they started" all those years ago. Uh-oh.

The writers had a good idea using Arthurian legend for this season (Although, as great as her character and story is, I could have done without the Disney story) but if I don't see Mordred or Morgan Le Fay by the end of 5A I'll be VERY disappointed. Seriously they were the head villains in the Arthur tales so where are they? They haven't even gotten a mention. It's like the writers didn't think they were worthy, what the hay!?

Finally I came across an article that the writers are casting, or have casted, Hercules and Meg. Please-God-no. The name Meg says they are definitely NOT sticking to mythology, they're leeching Disney again. Seriously guys get back to your skills! Hercules himself, as a mythological person, was the ideal role model of heroism. He was a proud, arrogant, not-so-smart (as he tried to shoot the sun with an arrow because it was hot) jerk who faced Hera's challenges and was a person worthy of such power. 5B is said to have the Devil in it so there's probably some soul in trouble (most likely one or both Dark Ones) and they probably won't be able to be free of the devil unless they pass challenges. Enter Hercules, who's faced such challenges, and there you have it. No Disney needed, that's all from mythology. So please please PLEASE Lords of Imagination and Creativity, go to Horowitz and Kitzis, get them out of the rut and back to the show's roots!

Addison

Auror
Sorry 'bout the delay guys. My TV kept cutting out (we got a ton of snow here) so I didn't see a lot of the episode, had to Youtube clips but I got the whole episode.

Okay, the Camelot time bites Emma in the butt. It seems like, in that Camelot time, events pushed her to kinda revert to her season one self a bit. She thought the best way to protect the people she loves was to push them away. While her actions did save Hook, physically, she still lost him to the Darkness.

The Camelot Arc was kinda....flat. Emotionally is was thrilling but other than that, meh. It was very centered on Hook and Emma. I thought the moral behind them would be "Even in the greatest of Dark there is Light," as they were still in love. I believed Emma when, after turning and reuniting with her family she said, "It looks worse than it is.". Then in came the villain everyone loves to hate and hates to love, Rumplestiltskin. Poking his fingers in the right places to get Hook dark to start the plan began who knows how long (most likely since Dark Nimue died) to bring all Dark Ones back to life. Then we see that, to save Hook and destroy the darkness Emma completed Hook's curse, which he started by killing Merlin. R.I.P great wizard. Then we see her reverted self as she takes everyone's memories to "protect" them so she can take care of things herself. I blame the darkness, sure for the majority of Camelot time we didn't see Emma embracing it but, like Merlin said, the Darkness finds a place deep inside and takes hold.

Camelot is where the story really gets going. WE know, via Camelot time, what Hook is up to and we saw Hook take Emma's memories of the plan so, EEEK! Things get explained between her, her parents and Regina, who wastes no time telling her off. The group, with Rumple and Bell, gather at Regina's and talk when Hook calls Rumple out to "finish what they started". Even Henry takes a turn at Emma, calling her out for her backwards actions so Emma is not rid of the anti-magic bracelet. Emma stays behind, protected by Merida, while the group leaves to find a way to stop Hook, only for a tender moment to pass between Rumple and Bell. "I know not wanting me dead isn't the same as wanting me." Rumple says, proving just how far he's come in a short time w/o darkness. So he goes to the ship, fights Hook - who heals his leg- and they fight. At first Hook gets the upper hand, even getting a congratulations from "the crocodile" only for Rumple to use his brains and best Hook with his own ship, getting Excalibur. Instead of killing Hook- which would steer him back to the villainous path, Rumple lets him live with the knowledge that he beat him.

In a sub-plot we see what Zelena's up to. She went to the hospital, only for Regina to beat her and hide the baby. She tells Zelena off for what she's done, how she doesn't deserve the baby after how she came to have her. Zelena, true to her twisted, warped sociopath way, takes it as a compliment. Then Regina realizes the madness has to stop, and there's only one way. They go to Snow's apartment where Robin is with the baby. Regina agrees that Zelena can have time with her child, hoping that the genuine, incredible live between mother and child can do for Zelena what it did for Regina. I gotta say, when Zelena was holding her baby, it looked like it was working already.

Hook pays a visit to Emma at Regina's. Despite Emma's genuine, sincere apologies and words to guide Hook back to the light, he proves that there's no Hook, no light, as he will hurt Emma like she hurt the man she killed once he put the darkness in him.

Afterwards she finds Henry and apologizes, promising she'll make it up to him. He has a little belief, by making her prove it by saving the day. On a little Operation they find the dreamcatchers and meet everyone at the Mayor's office. Emma gives everyone their memories back and, by the look on their face, they remember and understand her turning and seem willing to trust her. Emma remembers what Hook's up to and in that instant I think I saw her Dark One look fade and Emma come out a bit.

We see Hook and Crocodile at the same lake the Fury went. With Rumple's blood on his hook, Hook dips it in the pond, opening the gate to the underworld. The episode closes with a boat straight from the river Styx coming out of a fog. The first of the cloaked figures to walk on water and get a gentlemanly hand from Hook to the surface is Nimue. They've come to snuff out the light.

Addison

Auror
Tonight's episode is apparently delayed due to Obama's speech. So I have a small opportunity to say some things before the winter finale.

First, via the sneak peeks, I think this is going to be a heart-racing, heart-wrenching episode, just on the peeks at Hook being all Dark with Rumple and Emma voicing that she will kill Hook if she must. Also, in the promo, we did see Hook slowly strangle her.
As per the Enchanted Forest sneak peek I think Hook's wine had some kind of potion in it. Seriously, think back to the Evil Queen in her prime, wouldn't she do something like a magical mickey? Although Hook is pretty cocky as a Dark One. He shows and tells Rumple what's going on. Uh, did he forget that Rumple was the longest living Dark One so he knows all about Darkness? Also, Rumple's a hero now, no powerful dark temptations, so when Hook threatened Belle (or even mentioned her) He lit a fire he will regret pissing off.

On a note on the Camelot story tie in, if I don't see or hear mention of Mordred or Morgan Le Fey, either as a hero that can help or a past Dark One I'm gonna be pissed. Seriously! They exchanged two terrific, core characters from Arthurian legend, for Merida. They chose Disney over their own power and skill of rendition. Please Muses of the World and Spirits of Writers Past, let there be Morgan or Mordred. I'm not picky.