• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Place/Character Name Generator

evanator66

Minstrel
I have a lot of trouble with naming stuff. Titles are hard, but I can skip that until I have finished. On the other hand, I cannot skip names (without annoying myself anyway). Do you know ay good name generators for places and people, or any particular way you come up with names?

Aspasia

Sage
I have the same problem! Seventh SanctumSeventh Sanctum - Welcome To The Page Of Generators! is a wonderful resource, a great collection of generators. For more realistic names, I use Behind the Name Behind the Name: Meaning of Names, Baby Name Meanings all the time. I'm currently writing a story based on Ancient Greece, these name lists have been invaluable. Chaotic Shiny has a great collection of generators too Chaotic Shiny - Writing and RPG-Related Generators , ranging from all kinds of name generators to plot, city, population, even weather generators! This one I was introduced to through this forum.

Other than generators, I also keep a list of names on Excel. Maybe a combination of letters will catch my eye and I think of a great name based on that--into the spreadsheet. Sometimes, while trying to give a character the perfect name (a quest I mostly don't bother with now, as the "perfect name" is often so elusive) I come up with a bunch of names that don't fit--into the spreadsheet. It's great for those times when you just need to name someone, but none of the generators quite have the feel you're going for because someone else came up with those names. It helps me out a lot.

I still have issues naming people and places, especially with cohesive names. It's a bit of an overkill, since I write very short stories usually, but I've also considering making a naming conlang to deal with these problems, or for types of names I frequently use.

Tom

Istar
One I frequently use is Rinkwords' Fantasy Name Generator. You can choose from several pre-set basic options, or use the advanced option to set the algorithm for specific qualities you want in the name. It's helped me a lot, especially with my Kirithian culture, which uses mostly vowels and liquids such as 'r' and 'l' to construct female names, and has a strict limit of three syllables maximum for names of both genders. Hard to maintain a variety when you're working with such a limited palette!

To come up with my own names, I play with sounds I like, or look for different languages for inspiration. Welsh, I've found, has an otherworldly sound and structure that's well-suited to fantasy. When thinking up people- or place-names meant for a single culture or area, I keep an eye out for certain sounds/structures that can be repeated to create names that are individual but clearly related.

SeverinR

Vala
For human names, I like using period names.
Medieval Names - List of Medieval Names

I look in SCA herald archives but could not find a link to quickly to offer. But these seem to be authentic.

Kymme(female) popped for me, that would be old spelling of Kim.

Severus Snape(Harry Potter) and Severin are names of olde, based on Pope Severinus. (Harry Potter did not influence my pen name. Didn't realize his first name until after I had picked it.)

Mythopoet

Auror
Severus Snape(Harry Potter) and Severin are names of olde, based on Pope Severinus. (Harry Potter did not influence my pen name. Didn't realize his first name until after I had picked it.)

I have a son named Severian and a lot of people assume he's been named after Severus Snape. Actually he's named after Severian from The Book of the New Sun whose name comes from the old Latin name. :)