• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Post Nuclear Armageddon World

Urethule111

I have seen the idea before, most notably in Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks, as mentioned above. However, it hasn't yet become a "Common" route to take in world building and it seems to me that there is a great deal of room for new angles and ideas. I would personally recommend the Emberverse series, again as mentioned above. Though S.M. Stirling's world is not technically Post Nuclear War, it is certainly Post Apocalyptic. His sense of detail and realism within a Medieval Tech world is currently unsurpassed. I have taken a great deal from his books, if only to think about the practicalities of my own.

I hope to see your story on a bookshelf one day.

Kaellpae

Inkling
I hope to see it on a bookshelf as well. That'll be a long way off, but it's a dream. Even if I only self publish and pay for a few copies to sell locally and those books were bought and enjoyed, at least I'd have had fun writing it and brought an adventure to someone else.

fcbkid15

Scribe
I was bored once and came up with an unusual apacolyptic setting. It's when these aliens have a star system full of rich and vibrant planets, full of life. But they wish to conquer the whole universe, and need slaves to be workers and build up their empire. So they come up with a super virus, that can turn a planet into a barren wasteland, and they amplify it and send it across our galaxy first.

So Earth is a wasteland, but the aliens come down and offer us a new life on their lush planets. Of course they are lying and only mean to make us slaves, but some will go and some will leave.

Empire of the East by Fred Saberhagen is a post nuclear war turned fantasy...a bit. It is the same world the books of swords are in, as well as his gods series. Magic does exist, as well as deamons (nuclear explosions turned sentient).

Another armageddon like series that deals with the results of highly powerful mages pulling the earth apart is the Death Gate Cycle, by Wies and Hickman. Although, you only find out about what happens later on in the series of books.

Empire of the east would be worth a read if you want to see a unique slant on it.