• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Posting up Stories

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So...I was noticing that in the Portfolio's section, it states that stuff posted there is open to public view, and the story showcase section is kind of just a Forum post, and I have questions. Is it true that there is no place I could post a story here that would not be open to the public, and I could choose to delete it later? Cause, if I was to post story parts up, I would like the ability to remove them if in the future there is reasons to.

If that does not exist, could it be added to portfolios that stuff be viewed only by people on the site, and that I might have life time control to edit or delete a story showcase story?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Poked my nose in there. I've got a story that's been in there for about 10 years. There is an option to delete under the little dot menu.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yeah. So the portfolios are open to the public. Id like to put in a feature request to have to option to make them viewable only by members if I choose. If that is doable.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ill play with it a little. I see a button to make it private, such that only MS staff can see it, but I'd like the in between. Staff and members, not the outside world.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I don't see a way to do that. It's worth mentioning that once you let others have access to an electronic file, there's absolutely no way to guarantee that file won't make its way elsewhere. You can *think* you're limiting it, but you really aren't. Maybe that's why public forum software doesn't have such an option, as it would be misleading, at least without all sorts of disclaimers.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I don't see a way to do that. It's worth mentioning that once you let others have access to an electronic file, there's absolutely no way to guarantee that file won't make its way elsewhere. You can *think* you're limiting it, but you really aren't. Maybe that's why public forum software doesn't have such an option, as it would be misleading, at least without all sorts of disclaimers.

I can assure you, I have been on websites that do allow such things. But, they may have additional coding to them. It might be a question for Black Dragon. Probably not difficult for a coder to add. Just a button and a new function. The code to allow only Staff already exists, just copy it and add a new group to it.

And...of course, there are no guarantees. But, if the site protects it, it makes those who might take it, have to really mean it, and their lifting of it is on them (and a violation of the TOS, I would think).

If you took the Portfolio section, allowed protection to only members and allowed comments, and MS would have a functional story critique tool (no frills though). It is something kind of missing from the site.

Last edited: