1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

POV Question...

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Xaysai, May 6, 2013.

1. Xaysai

Xaysai Inkling

Probably a dumb question, but...

So if I am writing a story from 4 different POV's, what happens when 2 characters of which I have been writing from are in the same scene?

2. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

There is nothing that says you have to include both POV's for that scene.

Another note: It sounds like you are writing again!

3. Xaysai

Xaysai Inkling

I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure.

And yes, but I'm going to attempt a more structured approach and plan the story before I start writing so I don't struggle to try to piece everything together as I go!

4. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

Yeah...this happens all the time. Just give some thought to which of the characters is the most powerful POV.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

And don't forget that you can show the same scene from more than one POV if you like. I've seen that done well, though I think there should be a good reason for it, and not merely that you happen to have two POV characters there.

6. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

I used to write isolated fragments with no idea what came before or how to continue afterwards all the time. Probably got a hundred or more of these.

These days, unless I know where it ends, I won't begin. And if I see a grreat big knot in the middle, well, I'll think long and hard before beginning.

7. Xaysai

Xaysai Inkling

Honestly, I think this is one of my biggest obstacles.

All of a sudden I get nailed with this SUPER AWESOME idea for a scene, write it, realize it has no context. Then I'm stuck with this piece that I'm really excited about but have to manufacture some lame beginning and ending for it.