• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

problem with a name

Alex97

Troubadour
I found a name I liked for my main character called Alastor which was an ancient Greek spirit of vengance which fits my novel well. However I did some research and found out that there is a character in Harry potter with the same name. I haven't read Harry Potter so I didn't realise this. Should I change the name? I could change it to Alator which is his father's name at the moment.

Sinitar

Minstrel
Variations can work in your case, though I suggest a new name, if you're willing to part with the old one. For me, names are simply tags that help me identify the characters. Without a memorable character, the name holds no weight.

Anyway, the reason I suggest such change is because people will find all sort of ridiculous links between your work and Harry Potter. It's better to prevent that by tinkering with different names, preferably ones that sound different :D

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Um, no. First of all the name isn't just a Harry Potter thing. It's a name. I have a friend born previous to Harry Potter that proudly sports this name. But be prepared for some folks to wonder. Also, Alastor was called Mad Eye through most of the books, so some people may not immediately make the connection. :) I also like the similarities between the father and the son.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
You shouldn't need to worry about using the same name as a character in another book as long as the name isn't exactly identical to one that's already trademarked. I'm sure J.K. Rowling and Jim Butcher are okay with each other having a character named Harry; one's last name is Potter and the other is Dresden, so it doesn't count as plagiarism or anything. The name Alastor isn't just found in Harry Potter; it's also the name of the villain in Castle in the Attic, and is likely found elsewhere as well. I myself have used variants of the name for different characters: an evil pirate captain named Alastore, and a Scottish man named Alasdair. If your character's full name is Alastor Moody, then I'd change it, but the first name itself is fine.

Alex97

Troubadour
Thanks guys what I'm going to do is switch the names round. Alator as the the son and Alastor as the father so if people do make a connection which I doubt, it won't be as bad since the father isn't as important as the son.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Yeah you know, until Riki pointed out who he was in Harry Potter I didn't even recognize the name as a duplicate. That being said, I like the name, and if you do, you should keep it. I posted in another name thread that I have several times come up with totally unique names and thought myself very clever... only to find out it was used somewhere else and I wasn't aware of it. There are tons of stories in this world and some of them are going to overlap names, places, etc. If you like the name (which isn't hugely unusual in and of itself) I would keep it unless you feel really comfortable making the switch.

I used the name Rafe (a version of Rolf, Ralph, etc. meaning red wolf from the old German) Days of our Lives has a character named Rafael who shortens it to Rafe. Dammitall!

You will never win. Pick a name you like and as others have mentioned, as long as the story doesn't look like a rip-off, no one's going to care. (HAHA there's some I think are pretty much synonymous with their work, though and I WOULD avoid those: Skywalker, Weasley, Aragorn, etc.) but for most given names, if you can find it in a baby name book, you should be able to use it, and FYI many forms of Alastor are found in baby naming guides.

Shockley

Maester
There's even an Alastor in the Iliad. Don't worry about it.

(Don't even get me started about the cognate of the name, Alistair. There are hundreds of famous people with that name.)

Cloud

Minstrel
Stick with the name! ...but only if your want too.

If the name feels right to you - keep it - but be prepared to change it in the future. Characters evolve as you write them and you may well reach a point where they've grown out of the associations that made you chose that name.

SeverinR

Vala
They got the name the same way you did. They looked up old names for a good one.

My Pen name is from the same base name as Severus Snape.- Pope Severinus in the year 640.

As long as you didn't mean to copy it, don't worry about it. It is your character, not the same as HP.
Would you consider changing a modern day character who's name you made as Steve, just because someone else used a Steve in their work?

Alastor is hardly the highest-profile name in Harry Potter, and I think once your readers get to know your character they'll lose any connotations regarding it, they'll hopefully start thinking of Alastor in the context of your book. If you want to, use it.