• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Main Character Name Potential Problem

musycpyrate

Scribe
I have finally found that hidden motivation to get my next novel written after a three month break. Urban/fantasy. However, I am stuck on whether or not to stick with my MC names. The boy main's name is Ryan and I love the nickname his partner in crime is going to give him, which is Ryry. The girl main's name is Riley. So, now I have the whole 'R and R' potential mouthful. Do you think I should change one of these names that are meaningful to me? Or am I overreacting?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I can only speak on what I would do, not you. However, in my opinion, I'd change one of them.

I think they're close enough to confuse the reader on occasion. Generally, I strive for a varied set of names for my cast.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'd change Riley, but then I wouldn't have named a character Riley to begin with. I hate that as a name, especially a girl's name. That's just my opinion though. ;)

Reilith

Sage
I agree with the others, I'd change it. Probably the girl's name, although I do like it. It makes her sound tomboyish at first glance (I don't know if that was your idea to begin with) and it does make a conundrum of things, especially if they share a lot of scenes (presuming they do if they are both lead characters).

K.S. Crooks

Maester
I like the name Riley because it is tomboyish. It could also be a last name that she goes by more often than her first name. Although this may be too close to Ripley, as in Ellen Ripley from Aliens. Still, Ryan is the one for me that seems plain.

Definitely change one. Character confusion like that (even between minor characters, and I don't think these are) can undermine a story in ways no amount of good writing can fix-- any editor will tell you that.

But that doesn't mean you have to forget the names. You could save one and use it for your next story (the classic answer for any plot device that Just Doesn't Fit). Or one name (probably Riley's) could be a last name or a first name that's immediately replaced by a nickname, if you're very clear from the start. In fact, two characters with such similar names would have to immediately notice it, and be grateful the nickname means it doesn't matter. And all of these are still less polished than just changing one.

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Another vote here for changing one of them. It's a good rule of thumb to give every speaking character a name with a different initial, if at all possible. And when the two names not only begin with R, but have a y in them as well, plus Riley is not an obviously feminine name... You could possibly get away with Ryan and Rachel (say), but Ryan and Riley would have me struggling, for sure.

It's not that readers will toss the book across the room because of it, but it adds a possible area of confusion which will make the book fractionally harder to read. You want the reading process to be as smooth as possible, with no obstacles.

Well if the character's interact closely, like say they're twins, or if they think alike or even completely disagree at times there's a sort of good passivity to the naming for mind play I think. Repetition, alliteration, is also a tactic in writing. I think that something like that would be a nice fit for poems as well where you're heavy on those writing tools.