• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Main Character name Dilemma

071095se

Acolyte
As you can tell from the title I'm currently in a little bit of a Dilemma. I'm currently in the middle of writing a fantasy novel of which I haven't come up with a name yet (any suggestions for that would be great) However recently I found that my main characters name, Lilith, is also the name of the main character in a Norwegian writers fantasy trilogy. I then went on to do a little more research and found that the name Lilith is used everywhere (even the Borderlands games) So my dilemma is, do I keep the name and risk the wrath of copyright, or do I change it now with a name I don't like as much

Chilari

Staff
Lilith is a common enough name. Dates back to the Bible I believe. Using the same name won't get you in trouble. I doubt many people would even notice the connection, or if they did, would consider it for more than a second. If it was a made up name like Frodo you might experience trouble, but calling a main character Harry won't get JKR's lawyers down on you, unless he's a boy wizard off to a wizarding school. As long as your character is sufficiently different in personality and key recognisable traits you're fine.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Yes, Lilith is a common name, usually used in fiction as a reference to the first wife of Adam, which for some mare her the mother of all vampires etc.

You could - if you are really concerned with using the 'same name' as another author - use a spelling variant. If you have surnames, using a suitably different one will do the trick just fine.

Amanita

Maester
Lilith is a mythological name, so this shouldn't be a problem. You should note that Lilith is often either used as the represantation of an evil woman or as a feminist icon depending on the person writing/talking about her. If you don't want such associations, you might want to use another name.

WyrdMystic

Inkling
Strangely, names tend to suit people. Same for characters. I've got a feeling you'll know whether your character is a lilith or not by the time you're.finished. same goes for the title of the story.

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
I think the only thing you need to worry about in this instance is using such a popular name instead of one of your own creation.

That, and what Amanita pointed out. Make sure the name fits the character.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Lilith is a beautiful name, but it is, as was previously stated, usually refers to a dishonest, or evil woman. If you like the sound but want to change it, maybe try something similar. I used the name Ayleth in a book, and that's an Alglo-Saxon name I think. It's medieval English anyways, dating to 1300. There are loads of name sites you can use to find something similar, but different if you feel uncomfortable using Lilith. But if you love it, I say stick with it. It's a pretty name.

Chilari

Staff
Lilith is a beautiful name, but it is, as was previously stated, usually refers to a dishonest, or evil woman. If you like the sound but want to change it, maybe try something similar. I used the name Ayleth in a book, and that's an Alglo-Saxon name I think. It's medieval English anyways, dating to 1300. There are loads of name sites you can use to find something similar, but different if you feel uncomfortable using Lilith. But if you love it, I say stick with it. It's a pretty name.

I have an Ailith in a short story I'm currently working on, which is set in Dark Ages Britain.

Personally I'm fond of using very rare or made up names for major characters. Somehow it just feels odd to me for the long lost wizard king from Bondalaria to be named Bob. ;-)

Of course, Terry Goodkind does just fine with a main character named Richard, so what do I know?

WyrdMystic

Inkling
Personally I'm fond of using very rare or made up names for major characters. Somehow it just feels odd to me for the long lost wizard king from Bondalaria to be named Bob. ;-)

Of course, Terry Goodkind does just fine with a main character named Richard, so what do I know?

What's wrong with Bob? I love Bob? Bob's a cool guy!

Totally agree, I would add the caveat that it depends on the story. Sometimes a Bob is just what's required.

The thing you should do right now before you go any further is ask your character what their name is...

I'll wait...

Yes, it sounds silly but they often have their own names, ones you might have misheard or ignored while using a placeholder name. If you know the character well enough, you can always just ask and see what they say. I had that happen to me, 56k words into my novel and whispered in my ear that I heard her wrong.

Now, I am a big believer in using name science for character creation, so I'm always down for finding the right name to fit the character. Sometimes the name doesn't fit, and there is a reason (whether you believe in name science or not).

For now, just relax, ask, and see what they say.

Frog

Scribe
I basically agree. Lilith's a solid Talmudic (not Biblical) name with a lot of demonic connotation. If you've got a character that is in any way involved with demons, I say go for it. Heck, even Kramer's ex was named Lilith.

If you're really set on having something original, just tweek it a bit. Lilyth, for instance. Or Lylith. Lhilith. Same sound, different spelling. Or you could go full-bore Welsh and change it up to Llylydd, but that's just my knee-jerk.