• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

R. Scott Bakker's The Second Apocalypse

Sarcellus

Scribe
Hi all, new here. I couldn't find a general thread that wasn't outdated.

Any fans/haters that would be interested in discussing this fantastic series (my opinion might be biased)?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm not sure which series this is, but I read the book The Darkness That Comes Before. I think that's the Prince of Nothing series? I really loved that book though. More cerebral fantasy than I'm used to, but maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Does the Second Apocalypse follow the same characters? If so, no spoilers! ;)

Sarcellus

Scribe
Originally, from what I understand, The Prince of Nothing, The Aspect-Emperor, and The-Series-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named are the sequences that make up The Second Apocalypse.

There are spoiler tags on this forum, right?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yes, you can use spoiler tags if you'd like. I can talk to you The Darkness that Comes Before, but it's been a while since I've read it.

Mythopoet

Auror
I read The Darkness that Comes Before and found it somewhat interesting. Though as I often find with newer fantasy books, I found the backstory much more interesting that the current story. I tried to read the second book, but couldn't stand it.

Sarcellus

Scribe
I read The Darkness that Comes Before and found it somewhat interesting. Though as I often find with newer fantasy books, I found the backstory much more interesting that the current story. I tried to read the second book, but couldn't stand it.

That's really unfortunate that you couldn't make it through The Warrior-Prophet. The second trilogy (which isn't complete yet) does deal with the back-story hinted at throughout the Prince of Nothing.

For a long time I actually thought that The Prince of Nothing was the whole story. But I think that Bakker's definitely intended to deal with the back-story all along.

EDIT: What stopped you reading the second book?