• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

7. R. Scott Bakker Discussion

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Number 7 is R. Scott Bakker, one of my personal favorites, but one I've only read one book from. Yeah, weird right? There are just too many good books in the world! His Prince of Nothing series leads into another trilogy called The Aspect-Emperor. Compared to other authors on this list, he doesn't have loads of books, but he's got some good ones, if the first book The Darkness That Comes Before is any indication. Bakker, like Steve Erikson, is one of those authors who has such a rich world and verbose style of writing, it may take a while for one to get into him. However, once I sat down and really delved into it, I loved his writing. It's at times beautiful and horrifying, a brilliant combination that Bakker achieves very well. His writing falls into the "dark" camp: he's not for the faint of heart. I'm still interested in reading more from him and he's one writer that I hope to see more from in the future.

While not easily accessible, his style lends itself to drawing you into a unique fantasy world that grabs hold and won't let go. Worth a look in my opinion.

Any thoughts on Bakker?

r.scottbakker-prince.jpg

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
He's good but in my opinion i've read work (via e-mail) by some MS members who I think is much better. I don't want to be a name dropper but....Phil Overby, R. Scott Kimsey, John Haley and Anita Howitt are extremely talented.