• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random Day/Night Length

Ghost

Inkling
My first idea was of a realm, something that wasn't a typical planet and actually had a completely random rising of the sun and moon. The sun and moon would actually be two warring gods; whoever had the upper hand at the time would have their object (the sun or moon) dominate the sky.

I think your idea is great. If you love the idea, it's worth pursuing. I don't see how plausibility matters. Things only have to be plausible within the story. When you set scenes and show how life on this world shapes your characters, it becomes believable. The way you weave it into the narrative determines whether the reader will accept it or not. A plausible idea can sound stupid or an outrageous one can make sense. It depends on how you tell the story.

Yeah, honestly, I was never really looking for a scientific reason for it.

LOL

Griffin

Minstrel
This is an idea I had recently, so I thought I'd put it up here and see what people think and, ultimately, if it's worth pursuing.

Basically, it's as the title says; days and nights are random in length. They could last for a few earth days, a week, or only a few hours (that would be the minimum). A group of people do their best to predict it but it's more of an educated guess than an actual prediction, like weather forecasting in real life.

So my question would be; is this idea somewhat plausible to you? Or is it just too stupid to bother with?

Ignoring the feud, it sounds like your idea is more mythologically based. Trying to explain it scientifically might put off readers who failed physics like myself. I do like the idea. Maybe not so random, but very similar to Alaska. "Day" can last a few hours to all day depending on the time of year.

I'd say go for it. Whether or not it's "plausible" is a different (and unnecessary) story. The idea can be plausible and does not sound stupid at all.