• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Yup. Something that says...hey be careful, if you are not cautious we could end up in something like this.

Your story seems to have two levels of cautionary messages.

1) Hey this is repressive, we should strive not to live like this.

2) Make sure whatever is underneath the crappy system you are about to remove is not worse. The law of unintended consequences should be respected.

Hmm. Well...I still don't know about that definition. You could get some "don't do this" lesson you can apply to real life out of any story. For example, Romeo and Juliet:

1) Don't marry someone you met eight hours ago.

2) When you find your lover apparently dead, wait 24 hours before committing suicide.

Russ

Istar
Hmm. Well...I still don't know about that definition. You could get some "don't do this" lesson you can apply to real life out of any story. For example, Romeo and Juliet:

1) Don't marry someone you met eight hours ago.

2) When you find your lover apparently dead, wait 24 hours before committing suicide.

The purpose of a cautionary tale is to warn the audience of potential dangers. IF you think was the purpose of Romeo and Juliet then you are perfectly welcome to think of Romeo and Juliet as a cautionary tale.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
So I have yet another new story idea swimming around in my head. I have the very basics of political dynamics between three kingdoms written out, physical descriptions of natives versus immigrants from other nations, etc; and I know my MCs' genders and orientations as well as their relationship with each other (mostly).

The one thing I don't have? The aforesaid MC's names! *headdesk* Or their kingdom's names, for that matter. They're just A, B and C for now. The MCs are Princess A and Princess B.

Coldboots

Scribe
So I have yet another new story idea swimming around in my head. I have the very basics of political dynamics between three kingdoms written out, physical descriptions of natives versus immigrants from other nations, etc; and I know my MCs' genders and orientations as well as their relationship with each other (mostly).

The one thing I don't have? The aforesaid MC's names! *headdesk* Or their kingdom's names, for that matter. They're just A, B and C for now. The MCs are Princess A and Princess B.

I know what this is like. I'm perfectly fine at coming up with names or have plenty of resources to rely on if I'm not feeling great about naming them. It's just a pain when you're introducing characters left and right in the middle of writing or brainstorming.

My main character in my new story [Oeuyia] has the potential to turn into a world destroying-purifying 'super' being, but I already did that in my last story, and I'm trying my darnest to make sure both stories are equally unique.

Don't I know this!! I have a character in Red Nights who I called [guy's name] because I couldn't think of a name for him. He's still [guy's name]. And I still don't have a name for him. Also I have lots of places named City Name, etc, etc...

^I have two baby name books at my house. If I am totally stuck for a name and nothing's coming to me, I'll go from A-Z until the best names jump out at me.

I have one in which I have all my favorite names highlighted. Half the back cover is missing, the front covers been taped back on, pages are falling out, the whole book broke into two halves when the binding came loose so it's been taped back together several times, and recently I spilled water all over it so it's water damaged. I need a new one but I've grown so fond of this one. :p

Yes, I did, actually. Although so far her name has only been mentioned once in the entire story :cool: Her 'back-up' name [if I ever want to change her name] is Shion.

The main antagonist of my new story, Mio, was unceremoniously labelled 'this character' for days.

Yes, I did, actually. Although so far her name has only been mentioned once in the entire story :cool: Her 'back-up' name [if I ever want to change her name] is Shion.

The main antagonist of my new story, Mio, was unceremoniously labelled 'this character' for days.

I like Oeuyia better. It's cool.

My friends mostly know my MC as "my MC" because, y'know, I hate admitting that my MC is literally named after a SAT vocabulary word.

I only just realized that without her heart, Oeuyia will die. That's definitely an important development that came out of nowhere. She will forthwith collapse dramatically in the next scene and have to be carried back. :p

Don't I know this!! I have a character in Red Nights who I called [guy's name] because I couldn't think of a name for him. He's still [guy's name]. And I still don't have a name for him. Also I have lots of places named City Name, etc, etc...

Oh I totally do this only I usually use letters so it's something like "She went down to H street" or "That's X, he has family ties to the mob." or "Z is lovely this time of year. We should plan a trip."

Man i need to start using this so I can go ahead and write instead of freaking out

Just make sure you Find & Replace when you're done :)

I had to start doing this after I spent about 2 months obsessing over what to name the antagonist (I started out with the same name as a protag in another book I was writing and when I made the connection I couldn't let it go ... I needed to change it for my own benefit ... but to what? [Thus was born the Character X habit])

First drafts are already hard enough to get through without getting caught up in issues like what to name minor characters. A name usually comes to me within a couple chapters of the characters' introduction. By that point I have a better grasp of who the characters & settings are which puts me in a better place to decide. Write now, name & edit later.

Just make sure you Find & Replace when you're done :)

I had to start doing this after I spent about 2 months obsessing over what to name the antagonist (I started out with the same name as a protag in another book I was writing and when I made the connection I couldn't let it go ... I needed to change it for my own benefit ... but to what? [Thus was born the Character X habit])

First drafts are already hard enough to get through without getting caught up in issues like what to name minor characters. A name usually comes to me within a couple chapters of the characters' introduction. By that point I have a better grasp of who the characters & settings are which puts me in a better place to decide. Write now, name & edit later.

Yeah, names are easy to get hung up on! I'm really picky about names, so I'd get stuck for a day or a week every time a new character came in if I tried to name them something permanent. Thus the [guy's name] thing...