1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Random thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SeverinR, May 14, 2013.

1. So this?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Wait. Are you saying that finding humor in my victory puts me on the dark side?

3. Nagash

Nagash Sage

News of Lemmy's death left me a little shaky...

It seems your whole universe shrinks as time goes on and people you knew, loved and/or admired pass away.

4. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

People can listen for free, but at least one person liked it enough to support you with funding for it. They know that support is needed to fund the arts. Free is nice, but everyone has bills.
    So this is a call to everyone, if you like a persons work, find a way to show that support in dollars, it means more when you can get it for free but you are willing to pay for it.

5. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

The guy should have tried the mind thing:
    "These are not the seats, you seek."

6. I'm pretty much convinced that everything puts you on the Darkside if you can't be worried about your own mother that's a slave on a sandy hellhole like Tattooine.

7. Legendary Sidekick

I would reply, "I will tighten your restraints, seat-stealing scum!"

But then... he'd still be in my seat!

Damn you, Jedi mind tricks! Even when you don't work, you work!

8. That's why you shoot first. Then when video evidence is produced it will magically look like you shot second and that the other guy is a really bad shot.

9. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

I would've whispered the big moment to them as they passed, hoping that was their first viewing.

Yes, I fully embrace the dark side.

10. Legendary Sidekick

That is evil... in a good way. Wow...! I didn't even think of the leverage I had.

"You got 10 seconds to get out of my seat, or I start announcing major spoilers. Think I'm bluffing? Find out in 5 seconds, 4... 3..."

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That awkward moment when you're going through your novel to revise, and you decide to flesh out a minor character to make him more sympathetic -- and he gets an idea in his head that winds up taking over your novel. Your nearly-completed novel, which you've been working on for five years now and really don't want to rewrite from scratch... But the new ideas are so much more interesting than the old ones.

*flails helplessly*

Tom likes this.
  12. Legendary Sidekick

When in doubt, go in the more interesting direction.

I'm not sure if that's good advice, but it's what I do. My old ideas bore me, and when they bore me, there's no passion. Without passion, I write crap. (Maybe I write crap anyway, but it's different if I have fun writing crap.)

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I see where you're coming from LS... but it's taken me five years to get this far, and I'd rather keep on with the version I've got and get it ready to send within the next 1-2 years, rather than following the rabbit hole and not being published for another 6-7 years or so. I have other stories to work on; I don't want one to dominate my life for the next decade. The new ideas will work well as fanfiction when/if my novel finds its way out into the world. And if my novel isn't interesting as it is, I'll make it interesting, while still keeping certain characters reined in.

14. FifthView

FifthView Istar

Ireth, maybe tone him &/or his ideas down, plant a few seeds that can seem quirky now but can be used in a sequel later, i.e. a type of foreshadowing that will gain more shape/depth in the sequel?

Ireth likes this.
  15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I hadn't planned on writing a sequel, but then, how often does writing go as planned? :D We'll see. I'll definitely keep the ideas aside for possible use, regardless. The character in question is a King of the Fae, so it will almost definitely turn out interesting however I do it. ^^

16. Legendary Sidekick

Ireth, you've obviously still got a passion for your 5-year-old novel, so don't let the new idea worry you. If it's that wonderful, you'll use it later. If it's a distraction, it will fade as you stay the course.

Ireth likes this.
  17. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Ireth's experience reminds me of how my 10-15,000 word tale has now hit two volumes and 140,000+ words with more to come.

At first, it was, 'well, I need to better account for this.' Then it was, 'hmm, this guys backstory is both interesting and necessary.' Plus several, 'Wow, this is cool. I just gotta include it!' That was just the first volume. A lot of that stuff didn't survive the rewrites. Then I realized the story could and should continue.

Ireth likes this.
  18. Tom

Tom Istar

Going to see The Force Awakens tonight! :D

I might have accidentally spoiled Kylo Ren's identity for myself, but as I've fastidiously avoided all other spoilers for nearly two weeks, I'm sure there'll be plenty more new revelations in store to make up for it.

Also, lesson learned. Never, ever look up a spoiler-y character's Wikipedia page to see who plays them. That innocent-looking little sidebar listing their info (including, I don't know, THEIR REAL NAME)? It is not humanly possible to scroll away fast enough to avoid glancing at it.

Oops.

19. Hope you like Jar-Jar

20. Tom

Tom Istar

*spews coffee*

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY????!!!

OH, F*** NO!