• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[Reading Group] December 2014 Voting

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Not much discussion in November for obvious reasons (NaNoWriMo, a book that I felt probably wouldn't get much attention unfortunately) so we're on to December. This is another month I suspect may not get too much discussions due to holidays, traveling and such, but let's hope we get some discussion any way.

I'm listing a couple of books that Steerpike mentioned in the other thread to see if there is any interest. If one books stands out to you, feel free to vote on it.

Dragondoom, Dennis L. McKiernan
Ready Player One
Abercrombie's Half a King
Daggerspell, Katharine Kerr
Feast of Souls, C.S. Friendman
Some kind of Fairy Tale, Graham Joyce
Blood of Ambrose, James Enge
The House of the Stag, Kage Baker
1Q84, Haruki Murakami
Winterlong, Elizabeth Hand

Feel free to vote for two or three that stand out to you.

I'm picking the following:

1. Blood of Ambrose (I read some by James Enge before in a short story collection and liked his work)
2. Dragondoom (because Steerpike highly recommends it so I'll give it a try)
3. Feast of Souls (because I always loved that cover art)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Phil:

If you want to do the James Enge, I'm happy to do something I haven't read yet. I only mentioned Dragondoom since I've been planning to re-read it anyway, just to see how it holds up from when I was twenty.

Also, we have never done an indie book, and I wonder what you think of the idea of doing one. If we do, I'd like to read Daniel Swensen's Orison​. I might even be able to drum up participation for that one on Google+ (by which I mean getting people there to create accounts here and read along).