• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[Reading Group] May 2014 VOTING OPEN

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I don't suspect anyone else is going to chime in at this point, but I'll give it until early Saturday morning. If there's no word, we'll go ahead and pick the one with the most votes.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I already had The Warded Man in my Nook library, so I downloaded The Name of th Wind. Skimming through the reviews, this is a highly regarded book. I can't wait to dissect the writing style. Many insist it's the best writing they've encountered.

monyo

Scribe
I'm not casting a vote - being new here I don't want to skew it in case I lose interest and drop out halfway. But following the above post by Ankari, I am kind of excited it seems you guys have picked Name of the Wind. The Kingkiller Chronicles managed 18th place on NPR's Top 100 Sci-fi and Fantasy list, which judging from the other books on it seems pretty darn prestigious. I have a minor goal of making it through all the ones on it eventually, so already ordered a copy for myself and plan to follow along, even if I don't comment much.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
OK, The Name of the Wind is our choice. I've actually read about 70 pages of it before. I know some people love this book a lot, so I'm going to go in with lowered expectations (since I get excited about every book I read). I remember liking the style a lot, but I wouldn't say it's the greatest writing I've ever come across. I guess that distinction for me would go to Frank Herbert or maybe Cormac McCarthy. There are probably some literature folks I'm excluding (like John Milton or Shakespeare), but as far as somewhat modern writers, Herbert and McCarthy impressed me the most with their style, content, everything.

Ophiucha

Auror
I could see one arguing he has the best writing style of contemporary (2004-2014) fantasy authors. My tastes lean more towards Valente and Mieville in that category, though.

Been an age since I read this book, so it should be fun. :)