• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Referencing Other Authors: Is it Okay?

Mindfire

Istar
This has happened to me once or twice. I'll be chugging along in my writing when i come across a part of my story that makes me think of a line I've heard used somewhere else (movie, book, random conversation, etc.) that would fit the scene perfectly! Is it worth the potential backlash to use the line? Of course, I'm not sure what role copyright plays in all of this.

One solution I had thought of would be to include the quotes as "proverbs" or attribute them to an unnamed "poet". That would be an un-intrusive way of admitting that the line itself is not original I think. You could even include a short list of the references at the back so as not to be accused of plagiarism.

Any opinions?

The generic writer's advice: "It depends." As a general rule, you shouldn't consciously quote from other works unless you include attribution. Citing some anonymous "poet" is misleading--it gives the impression that you created the quote because it comes from a character you've created.

Anyway, it's your job to be creative! Take the sense of the quote you wanted to use and create your own quote. Maybe somebody will want to quote you one day.

Lines that are too well-known can work against you if you use them directly. Referencing them indirectly is okay and is usually seen (by those who are familiar with the line) as funny or pleasant -- "Ha ha, I get it!" is the feeling.

I've got a couple of subtle references in THE QUEEN OF MAGES to other works. I wonder if anyone will catch them ;)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
If your story takes place in modern times, I think this is fine as long as you attribute it correctly. John Ringo does this in a lot of his novels, and it doesn't bother me too much (though he sometimes takes the fanboy stuff a little far).

If your work takes place in an entirely made up place, I don't think you should use such quotes at all.

If your story takes place in modern times, I think this is fine as long as you attribute it correctly. John Ringo does this in a lot of his novels, and it doesn't bother me too much (though he sometimes takes the fanboy stuff a little far).

If your work takes place in an entirely made up place, I don't think you should use such quotes at all.

You can if you are meaning to be funny - as long as it's done well.

And the definition of 'done well'...

JBryden88

Troubadour
It depends how. If you read the Song of Ice and Fire saga by George RR Martin, you'll actually see he makes fun of Batman and Robin quite alot.

"As useful as nipples on a breastplate."