• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Referencing a previous event during present narration

Here's an example.

A merchant vessel is sailing to its destination, the representative of the company (the family owns the business) is standing on deck, holding a piece of parchment with the orders given by the head of the company.

So the description starts with the ship sailing on the waves, sights sounds and smells, etc. The man is holding the parchment at his side as he looks out across the water, then brings it up to read it once again.

Would a flashback be required to describe the circumstances in which the orders were obtained?

If it were a film you would have the scene on the deck of the ship, then you might have the father's voice narrating the letter, as it's addressed to the son, as the son holds it up to read it, and then a fade into the scene where the father is writing out the instructions or when the son takes delivery of the letter.

I guess I'm not sure how to have the character reading something to himself and reflecting upon what initiated the chain of events that led him to the current point in the story.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I think you still might be thinking about the story as a movie. Think about the story as a story. In a novel we have the luxury of hearing the character's thoughts. We don't need a flashback.

So he is staring at the waves, he brings up the letter to read, again. for the 20th time. Despite the fact that he has the letter memorized, his hands are still shaking. He still has a heaviness in his chest that can't be lightened, no matter how often he reads and re-reads the now smudged words on the ragged page. He curses his father, over and over, as if he were throwing stones into the waves. Maybe he does read us a line or two, and then we get to hear his thoughts on it. The inner conflict, he wants to serve his father, but not this. Never this. It should never have come to this. His first mate comes up behind him, and balling the letter, he throws it into the sea.

Ok, I have no context to your story… but you can see that you don't need a flashback. What is more important is how he feels about it right now. What does it mean to him? How does it create his goal? His inner conflict? How can it create tension? How can it keep the reader guessing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I agree with Helio. There are pros and cons to thinking about your story like a movie. But don't make the mistake that you are bound by the limits of what movies can do. Voice overs expressing a character's thoughts are usually a big no-no in movies. BUT in books, well, when you think about it, it's kind of one long voice over.

On the flip side, flash backs in movies are used all the time, but frowned upon in books. And I think this is one of the reasons why.

Good points, both of you. I think I've figured out how to portray the situation. I'll leave the backstory out completely and explain in present time the significance of the event taking place.