• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Religion in the lands of Orkasen

Orkasen1022

Scribe
This is just the start of my religion related creations for my Orkasen project. Let me know what you think below. Thanks.

Religion in Orkasen:
The Ancients of Orkasen in the First Cycle were very close to the Ethos which gave them free and powerful use of Ethosense. They had seldom but strong direct contact with the Ethos. High Priests could channel Ethosense into liquids of the earth and see the Ethos themselves and speak with them. They could also use Ethosense to communicate telepathically with the Ethos. It was because of this direct contact that the old peoples of Orkasen led a highly reverent and humble existence. These values faded as The Ethos became less and less present in the everyday lives of Orkasians. They allowed themselves to fade into the background of the peoples lives because they wanted independence and true freedom of action and will for all beings. Many Orkasians lost sight of The Great Virtues because of the absence of any real proof of The Ethos existence despite many of the elder's claims. This led to a complete lack of faith in any but one Etho, Omnis in the minds of the believers who chose His part of the world to live in, and even so, they called him many different names and worships varying forms of him which bred numerous and long lasting Holy Wars between peoples of differing beliefs. The Ethos argued amongst themselves a long while before deciding not to interfere again with the doings of the Orkasians. They concluded that they had given the people enough chances to act according to The Great Virtues and it would be their own willful doing if they were to shun what they had been given. Despite widespread disbelief and quarrel between believers, a growing number of Umbrinites have regained the wisdom of the ancients and stay true to the beliefs of their ancestors, slowly restoring The Ethos presence in Umbrin.
Though The Ethos are the true “gods” and creators of The Sphere, the minds and beliefs of the people within it are their own and many have developed their own views on how and why things came to be.

Ethism
The majority of Orkasians who believe in the Ethos claim belief that The Ethos, as a group of equals (save for Uthos being the most revered) created The Sphere and the life within it so that the virtues of The Great Spirits may have a place to put their essence into action. This belief is called Ethism and is practiced widely throughout Umbrin.

The Tamrel Order of the True Mother
The religious order of Tamrel holds to the belief that Amra is the greatest and most powerful of The Ethos because is it was her Great Virtue alone that gave life to all that have it. The refer to her as True Mother Amra, or simply Mother Amra. There are multiple sects of the Tamrel for the different realms that claim this Amra-centric belief and each sect provides a slightly different view on Amra and creation that can be tied back to the overall beliefs of the Tamrel as a whole.

The Order of the Red Eye
The most controversial of religious orders in Umbrin is that of The Red Eye. This is an order of like-minded people who believe that their worship should be devoted to the true creator of their world and the giver of life to their oldest ancestors, Orkasen, The Dark Master. The Order of The Red Eye believes that this member of The Dep is the one true God of their home and they are not misguided to claim this as true. It is fact that Orkasen created the world they live in as well as the very first life that inhabited it. Many claim however, that because the first Orkasians turned against their dark creator once they learned of his plots to make mindless slaves of them for Entheroll's bidding, The Dark Master was to be seen from then on as an evil force to be despised and resisted. Due to their worship of this being of shadow and servant of Entheroll, The Red Eye is met with disdain and it is because of the widespread hate of their order that they were forced to continue their movement underground and keep it a secret so as to not incite an uprising against them.

Al'eeren'nelherod, The Citidel of Ages and It's Religious Background:
The oldest remnant of The Cycles of Old in Umbrin is the antient tower, Al'eeren'nelherod. Erected in the ancient city of Mela'a'Kharanon in the 2nd Cycle, the citadel was first built as a shrine to Uthos. An Age after its construction, the high-priest of the temple was assassinated by a radical faction of the Alán Tamrel. After their overtaking of the citadel, The Alán Tamrel used the place for their worship of Amra. This sect of the Tamrel held Al'eeren'nelherod for many Ages through the 2nd and 3rd Cycles until the secret and violent activities of their officials were uncovered and they were driven out by their own followers.
For a long period after the Alán Tamrel were driven out, Al'eeren'nelherod was left vacant. People believed the temple to be cursed after being held so long by a corrupt organization. Especially being that they claimed to serve The Ethos. Superstitious Umbrinites claimed that the place was haunted by the souls of those who died at the hands of this dishonest sect of the Tamrel. It was not until the 5th Cycle that the temple was to be used again, this time as a watch tower during The War of Ages that battles were fought over due to its exceptional view of the Borsank fields where much of the war was fought.
After The War of Ages, Al'eeren'nelherod had been all but destroyed by the battalions that marched on it. From the last Ages of the 5th Cycle to the present day, the temple, now known as The Citadel of Ages has stood slowly crumbling. Although a fallen temple on the outside, the ancient citadel has a labyrinth of catacombs underneath its surface that run miles long and host the carcases of those who died defending it during the War of Ages and as far back as that of the high-priest who was the first murdered within the temples walls.
Spiritual life now dwells in the lowest levels of Al'eeren'nelherod. There are many theories as to why and how they came to be there, including that they are the unfulfilled souls of those who were killed there in the days of the Alán Tamrel, but no one truly knows the origin of these entities.

Asterisk

Troubadour
Wow. Wow wow wow. This is more detailed than I ever go with religions! I love the names, the ideas, and the uniqueness. Your hard work is very impressive. Good work!

Orkasen1022

Scribe
Thanks so much! I'm really glad you like what I've got. There's loads more about Orkasen on this forum if you're interested in more. I always like feedback and I'd be happy to check out anything you've got as well.