• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Returning to my novel after two weeks. Tips?

Due to external circumstances, I was unable to write for the specified time period. But that's neither here nor there.

To make a long story short, I was on a roll with my book up to that point. I was meeting up with my daily goals, keeping up momentum, and feeling the story in my head. Unfortunately I had to leave off writing for a while, and coming back to the story, it feels alien. I'm slowly making progress, just yesterday I finally wrote my daily goal of 2k again, and as of today, I've written half of that. However, I've had to force my self to sit back down and write.

I decided to rewrite the last three chapters I'd been working on because I took a wrong turn storywise. And I've rewritten one part of my outline to better suit the current version of my story. Yet it's still a struggle.

I'd chalk this up as Writer's Block, where it not for the fact that I'm just starting my Final Act. The last time I finished a draft, I recall that being the fastest and most exciting part of the writing process. But the slog I'm getting now is insane.

Now, I don't believe this is hopeless. I'm sure that if I continue to force myself down long enough, I'll get back into the groove. But I'd like to know if there's a way to make the process easier. My writing muscles haven't been stretched in a while. And it's showing in my work now.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Been there. Done that. No quick and easy from my perspective. I do what you've been doing, reread the last few chapters and try to use that to springboard.

Maybe try a quick brainstorm session and scribble down different ways you imagine the story unfolding from this point on.

That's the painful part! :D

Rereading early chapters consists of reminding myself of all the foreshadowing I did that I no longer remember. A tragic experience, as it feels like someone else wrote the words, but then the reality seeps in.

Only I have written those words. And only I can finish them.

Doesn't mean I won't suffer in the process... :happy:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
You have my sympathy. It does indeed happen to all of us, and every time it's unique. What worked last time doesn't work this time. At least, not for me. I have to approach the thing from every angle I can think of until something clicks. I try just dogging through it. I try going for walks and consciously not thinking about it. I try freewriting. I try revising. I try dice and chicken bones. I try walking away and pretending I don't love it any more. I try glaring at the pen.

Every RL interruption is different from the last, and anyway *I'm* different from the last time. And it's a different story, or simply a different place in the same story. Everyone's advice is useless and so is mine.

And still you'll keep trying. We'll cheer you on.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Reread what you've written in order to reconnect with your characters. Try making the writing about getting them where they need to go in order for it to feel like they are taking care of things themselves.