• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

RPG/MMO style world

Queshire

Istar
I'm planing on making my world a Role-playing game inspired universe. For the people living there, it's normal, but for the main character who gets summoned from our world it's a bit... odd. (required TV tropes link: Role-Playing Game Verse - Television Tropes & Idioms )

But, I want to do it in a way that makes sense, I want there to be an explanation for why it's that way.

To start with, I've been working on the magic/technique/ability/whatever system and here's what I have so far;

Everybody has what's called a Mana Core inside them. It's like a spiritual organ or muscle. It continually produces Mana which is the fuel for magic.

The Mana is stored in a person's Ley System, sort of like the circulatory system only with mana instead of blood. Basically it acts like a gas tank for Mana. Once the Ley System is full, the excess Mana is vented into the atmosphere.

Both the Mana Core and Ley System can be damaged or not work properly just like any other parts of a person, however that's not important at this point.

Mana is just the fuel. To actually do something with it you need to use a spell/technique/ability/whatever.

Before using a spell/technique/ability/whatever you have to Realize it.

Realizing a spell means suddenly learning it in a burst of inspiration. Before Realization, a person might not have a clue about magic, while afterwards they can toss fireballs around like it's nothing. Realization can hit anytime, in the middle of a life and death battle, while training, while reading a book, in the middle of household chores, etc. Realization is my explanation for suddenly learning a new spell upon level up without any training. Realization isn't random though, what you get is based off your personality, what you do, and the situation you realize the spell in. Do a lot of fighting and you get a lot of attack spells, chores? You get domestic spells.

Spells tend to have distinct effects, modifying a spell is very hard. A spell that throws a fireball can't be tuned down to light a cigarette. I like the idea of the main character being able to modify his spells, but I don't know how to justify that in-universe... Hacking the spells maybe? Hmm.... I dunno....

Summary:
-Do stuff, gain XP.
-Realize spell/technique/ability/whatever in a burst of inspiration
-Power spell with mana produced by mana core
-Spell takes effect.

It is possible to do a spell without realizing it provided you have a solid understanding of Magical Theory, but it takes longer and has a risk of going wrong as you have to manually go through the steps of the spell that were automated during Realization. Luckily manually casting a spell is one of the fastest and most reliable ways to then Realize that particular spell. A mark of a great mage is manually developing and then realizing their own spell.

Spells can also be inscribed/imbuded in objects, but again it's not as effective as a realized spell. That said, certain Artifacts found in Dungeons have Realized spells of their own.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Before using a spell/technique/ability/whatever you have to Realize it.

Realizing a spell means suddenly learning it in a burst of inspiration. Before Realization, a person might not have a clue about magic, while afterwards they can toss fireballs around like it's nothing. Realization can hit anytime, in the middle of a life and death battle, while training, while reading a book, in the middle of household chores, etc. Realization is my explanation for suddenly learning a new spell upon level up without any training. Realization isn't random though, what you get is based off your personality, what you do, and the situation you realize the spell in. Do a lot of fighting and you get a lot of attack spells, chores? You get domestic spells.

I'm sorry, but I've got three words for you which should kind of kill this idea: Deus ex Machina. Or maybe: Just. Like. Pokemon.

When that climactic moment happens and your character levels up, I think your readers are going to be disappointed more than impressed. Alluvasudden they're throwing fireballs? What purpose does a conflict have if it's subverted so easily? While there's a lot of inspiration you can draw from video games, there does have to be a line somewhere between what can be done successfully between mediums. Any given conflict in a video game has relatively little meaning, and that gives them plenty of fight-related time to establish a system that works this way. This fight had pika-who level up, and that's cool, but viewers/players know 1) it's random and 2) it won't happen but a fraction of the time, making it awesome. In a novel, how many fights do you have to establish that phenomenon? And I'll mention, when you have a game like Baldur's Gate and a party of six people, level-ups actually happen all the time.

I can't see how it could be done effectively, but of course, that means very little. Maybe you can just tweak it so that there are consequences or limitations to a level-up. But I do think you definitely need to consider the impact your magic system will have on your readers as it's seen in action throughout your work.

Queshire

Istar
1) Pokemon is one of the greatest selling series ever for a reason, I take your comparison as a complement.
2) Having random knowledge of how to do a spell pop in your mind can be pretty distracting at times.
3) Getting spells is still pretty random. While it's influenced by who you are, what you do, and the situation you're in, there's still no telling what exactly you'll be getting. Further there's no way to tell when exactly they'll get spells. It's not so much gaining experience and leveling up (despite that being the comparision I used) as suddenly getting a burst of inspiration letting you use the new spell. How often you'll learn spells is up in the air. There's no telling if you'll get the power you need for the situation, while that HAS happened in universe, it's far from a sure thing.
4) Just because you suddenly CAN use a spell, doesn't mean you can use it EFFECTIVELY.

I've considered making them unable to realize spells mid-battle or have it take some time to process the new knowledge, but I like the other way better. Also, a system like this HAS been used effectively in the rather popular manga Zatch Bell.

shangrila

Inkling
I have to agree with Devor, it currently seems a little convenient even with the restrictions you expanded on.

That said, it could work, but you would have to keep it several hundred miles away from your plot at all times. If they started learning spells just as they're needed to overcome a problem, readers will more than likely switch off.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I have to repeat the observation I've made before. RPG game systems do not translate well at all to stories.

In D&D, for example, a 6th or 7th level fighter, with decent armor and stats could massacre as many as a dozen ordinary orcs without taking serious harm because he has more hit points than the orcs can damage. But an actual warrior, even an elite one, unless insane or desperate, would absolutely not want to do something like that, because he doesn't have 'hit points', he has vital organs.