• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Seattleite

Seattleite

Acolyte
Just here for the worldbuilding, maybe put up some setting-centred stories and such here and there outside of that. Nothing to see here, move along.

Anyway, seriously, I did really come here for the worldbuilding. I was referred by a member on Chronicles who goes by Psychotick, don't know if they're here too. But the thing is that I have two big universes to write in, and they're... Well, not quite what I get the impression this site is about.

One is predominately scifi with one or two fantasy-ish elements mixed in here and there. Even those fantasy-ish elements aren't really fantasy, and the whole setting has a very secular outlook and the "magic" gets analysed to death until you realize there really isn't any magic in this setting. That includes the entire world that is disguised as a fantasy world, but is really post-apocalyptic and even the natural "magic" gets its inner working revealed later on. (Like a detailed explanation of how fire nagas can shoot fire from their hands, right down to giving the chemical formula of the burning fuel they're projecting out of their "spell nubs". It's mostly C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]6[/SUB]O, if you're curious. Sometimes minor additives like a small quantity of Fe[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB] with Al[SUB]2[/SUB]. Translation: It's ethanol, sometimes with additives like small amounts of rust and aluminium.)

The other is a tried and true fantasy with a huge amount of very real magic, but still not quite what I think you're expecting. It's an RPG universe with widely varying settings, and no traditional fantasy world in there, like, anywhere. At all. Ever. It ranges from "rock and bone" to "hyperalloys and lasers" and even the settings towards the middle aren't normal fantasy fare due to a combination of bizarre lore, different themes, odd sets of technologies and alien environs that make it so far removed from traditional Tolkein/D&D roleplaying settings that it's pretty clear that's intentional.

Either way, what I'm writing will probably be quite different from what you're used to here or anywhere else. I just hope that's not a problem.

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Seattleite
I think I am dimly aware of the name...
Leap on in when you have half a mind...
And you would be surprised at what passes for normal around here... and no-one even bats an eye...

Seattleite

Acolyte
Well the goal isn't to be normal. Quite the opposite, even. But some places don't like that, so I had to make sure. I'll probably post something later today after I get some sleep, can't say what yet.