• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Hooray, DotA! Rejections are part of the writing life. It was a rejection letter from Galaxy Magazine back in the 1970s that finally inspired me to get serious about writing. I had kept it all these years, and about ten or fifteen years ago, my wife found it and simply put it on my desk one day. A switch flipped and that was that.

One thing I know: you just never know.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Congrats! I recall my first rejection back in High School. I was pissed/hurt, then since I hadn’t read it for a while, went back for a perusal: Yup! They were right. Then it was screenplays, where I got some of the nicest rejections! LOL.I’d almost rather hear “you suck” instead of heaping praise on the work before saying, “BUT, it’s not for us.”

Rejections and bad reviews make for good conversation after success: ask Brandon Sanderson, and many others. LOL.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
How to start a morning right for Eve of Snows.

It took over 3 months for the first review in Australia, but it was worth the wait and from a Top 500 Reviewer:

"Wow this book was amazingly written. Once I started I couldn’t put it down till I was finished. This book has twists and turns you don’t know what’s happening. will they all get there happily ever after or will it all go wrong. To find out what happens go buy the book. You won’t be disappointed I wasn’t."

And then back in the US, EOS got another 4 star review, but it was one of those 4 star reviews that sounds more like a 5.

It was a back-patting kind of morning, LOL.

Tom

Istar
Got my acceptance letter for my (latest) first choice school today! It's a good, solid university in my home city, with a graphic design department known for its commitment to innovation and involvement in the local arts scene. I don't know why I didn't make them my very first choice instead of the nightmare school I'm currently at. Oh well....live and learn, I guess. In a few short months this craziness will all be put to rest, and I'll be able to look back on my disastrous one semester here and laugh. Hopefully.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Tom, that's awesome! I hope you are much happier in your new school! Live and learn, yes, sometimes painful but at least you come out the wiser. :D

I'm proud to post that I received my very first one star review for sexual content on one of my books. Hell yeah. I have arrived.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Damn girl, I’m proud of you!

When you get 1 star for lack of sexual content on the same book, then you’ve got the cherry on top!

Tom, that's awesome! I hope you are much happier in your new school! Live and learn, yes, sometimes painful but at least you come out the wiser. :D

I'm proud to post that I received my very first one star review for sexual content on one of my books. Hell yeah. I have arrived.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
The funny part is that scene is literally 2 paragraphs long. She might have passed out reading my other books that go on for pages, lol.

Tom

Istar

Thanks, Chess! I really hope so too. Ultimately, I think my...eclectic...college education will end up helping me in life. I feel it's forced me to become a more adaptive, hardworking person than I would have if I'd stayed at one insitution for four years. I've definitely learned to land on my feet, and to make the most of a bad situation while refusing to resign myself to "just sticking it out". Being proactive is an important skill to learn early.

Congrats on that one star! Print it out and frame it. Treasure it. You truly have arrived.

Omg thats great

Reactions: Tom

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Last Thursday, Eve of Snows kicked to #1 in the Norse Fantasy categry in Australia, and it’s mostly been there since. It’s bounced between 1 & 2, but stuck at #1 all through Sunday down under. Amazon is opaque, but it’s obvious that Amazon did a promo after I kicked some ad money in. It was a FB ad for $2.50 per day which I started after getting the first native Aussie review, and it was a beautiful review from a top 500. Once hitting #1 I dropped more dollars, averaging about $15/day, which not only has taken profit but held the #1 slot.

As a starting point, when I dropped the first ad money in, EoS was sitting at 180k overall, it topped out at 500 and is now slotted fairly stready for a few days in 1000-1500 overall.

How much credit can 1 review get? Sure, EoS has way more reviews overall than when previosly advertised in Australia, but it really is the only major difference I’m aware of.

Malik

Auror
FWIW, this is the first time in my life I've ever bought a new computer for writing. I've always made do with a <$500 cheapie rocking last-gen technology.

I went with the new Zenbook 14. No stately, universe-crushing graphics card; no detachable screen; just a slim little workhorse with a big SSD, a shitload of RAM, and a military-grade ultralight chassis, all of which I hope will last me another 5-6 years. It arrives on Saturday.

I think that using proceeds to purchase things that you'll use or see, especially things you'll use or see when writing--knickknacks for your desk, a new keyboard, whatever--is tremendously motivating. You sit down to write, and realize that this thing, this little R2D2 action figure or whatever, is the first thing I bought with my first $3.42 royalty check (I do not recommend blowing all your money on stuff; this is a business, after all. But treat yourself, for God's sake. You've earned it. And mementos go a long way.)

I have had a great couple of years, as some of you know. I've been able to build an office in my garage with my receipts. Even so, the principle is the same: I sit down in here and look around and realize that even the paint on the walls is there because someone, somewhere, bought my book. It helps get the words on the page for the next one, because you remember how hard the last book was, and now that effort has become this thing.

FoS-Crop-sm.jpg

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
A not so serious self-appreciation... In salute to Organic Also Boughts!

Meliu, Book 1.5 of Sundering the Gods has Brandon Sanderson’s Oathbringer as an aso bought... This might not seem a huge deal, but compared to how BAD I screwed up Eve of Snows’ also boughts, it’s just flat out cool, LOL.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm so tired of success stories. Do tell us how you screwed up! <grin>

Srsly, I only barely understand Also Boughts--other than that they appear on the page--so I'm interested to know how the author himself can affect what appears there, positively or negatively.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Screwing them up is much easier than anything else, LOL. Giveaways are the #1 screwer of the also bought, my Goodreads giveaway created a pile of “awful boughts” and “ugh boughts”, and I’ve mostly gotten rid of the awful boughts over time via targeted advertising. A $0.99 Countdown Deal or other 0.99 is liable to also ad a couple oddballs in your list, but those are easier to get rid of than the storm of a goodreads giveaway.

Now, here is the problem, for those not in the know: Amazon uses your also boughts as a guide for their email promotions, so if your book is lumped in with a bunch of nonfiction in their ads, you can imagine that it puts a dent in your sales. But, this can also happen by a nonfiction book having bad also boughts... I’ve received emails with a single nonfiction in the middle of an otherwise fantasy promo... AND if that one book has a cross-appeal, and therefore gets sales along with the fantasies, it can then show up in the fantasy book’s also boughts, and create a marketing link you don’t want. So, Awful Boughts can be A) Self perpetuating via Amazon promos and/or B) kill your sales and convince Amazon to stop running your book in promos.

The most obvious way to positively effect your also boughts is to use AMS ads where you target authors and their books... BUT, AMS ads pretty much suck pond water. You could get a bit more likely to draw also-boughts to another author using bookbub ads, but you could probably achieve a very similar targeting system via FB ads and pay less per click. With FB, you can also target some book series, like LoTR & ASoIaF, and others, I’m sure. So, now that Meliu has that one Also Bought, I might be able to go to a FB ad and target Stormlight Archive... if Sanderson fans hit the click and take the time to notice Brandon in the also boughts... you could begin to reinforce that also bought.

Now, this also bought is relatively organic. I target Sanderson fans on a regular basis with ads and do well with clicks, but who knows how many buy. This is the first hard evidence of that sort of direct line connection.

Another contributor here COULD BE that I ran a Sanderson giveaway on Amazon, and those people had to click on “Follow L. James Rice” in order to enter, and then of course, they would get an email from Amazon when I have new releases... So, doing giveaways targeting specific authors could also be a benefit.

ADDENDUM: Being KU will also, almost undoubtedly, diversify your also boughts... see all the sci-fi, thriller, and mystery books in Eve of Snows’ also boughts. KU readers download things all the danged time, and many I know read just about anything because hell, they’re free after your monthly fee! This is true with cash purchases, also, but I’ve no doubt from the list that targeted ads draw in more genre appropriate also boughts. Though I don’t really mind the thriller, sci-fi, and mystery books for the most part.

I'm so tired of success stories. Do tell us how you screwed up! <grin>

Srsly, I only barely understand Also Boughts--other than that they appear on the page--so I'm interested to know how the author himself can affect what appears there, positively or negatively.

Last edited: