Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Flemming Hansen, Jul 13, 2012.

1. kennyc

kennyc Grandmaster

Good for you. I'm about to go on a submission spree myself. :D

2. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

#1 in Canada, Nordic Myth and Legends! Total chance I even saw that, I don't have much in the way of ads in Canada nor a sale going... but totally cool. #31 in Epic Fantasy.

3. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Valar Lord

Obtained first rejection (by a magazine.)

Demesnedenoir, Malik and kennyc like this.
  4. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

Hooray, DotA! Rejections are part of the writing life. It was a rejection letter from Galaxy Magazine back in the 1970s that finally inspired me to get serious about writing. I had kept it all these years, and about ten or fifteen years ago, my wife found it and simply put it on my desk one day. A switch flipped and that was that.

One thing I know: you just never know.

DragonOfTheAerie and kennyc like this.
  5. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

Congrats! I recall my first rejection back in High School. I was pissed/hurt, then since I hadn’t read it for a while, went back for a perusal: Yup! They were right. Then it was screenplays, where I got some of the nicest rejections! LOL.I’d almost rather hear “you suck” instead of heaping praise on the work before saying, “BUT, it’s not for us.”

Rejections and bad reviews make for good conversation after success: ask Brandon Sanderson, and many others. LOL.

Malik likes this.
  6. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

How to start a morning right for Eve of Snows.

It took over 3 months for the first review in Australia, but it was worth the wait and from a Top 500 Reviewer:

"Wow this book was amazingly written. Once I started I couldn’t put it down till I was finished. This book has twists and turns you don’t know what’s happening. will they all get there happily ever after or will it all go wrong. To find out what happens go buy the book. You won’t be disappointed I wasn’t."

And then back in the US, EOS got another 4 star review, but it was one of those 4 star reviews that sounds more like a 5.

It was a back-patting kind of morning, LOL.

Chessie2 and skip.knox like this.
  7. Tom

Tom Istari

Got my acceptance letter for my (latest) first choice school today! It's a good, solid university in my home city, with a graphic design department known for its commitment to innovation and involvement in the local arts scene. I don't know why I didn't make them my very first choice instead of the nightmare school I'm currently at. Oh well....live and learn, I guess. In a few short months this craziness will all be put to rest, and I'll be able to look back on my disastrous one semester here and laugh. Hopefully.

8. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Tom, that's awesome! I hope you are much happier in your new school! Live and learn, yes, sometimes painful but at least you come out the wiser. :D

I'm proud to post that I received my very first one star review for sexual content on one of my books. Hell yeah. I have arrived.

DragonOfTheAerie, Malik, Tom and 2 others like this.
  9. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

Damn girl, I’m proud of you!

When you get 1 star for lack of sexual content on the same book, then you’ve got the cherry on top!

Chessie2 likes this.
  10. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

The funny part is that scene is literally 2 paragraphs long. She might have passed out reading my other books that go on for pages, lol.

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  11. Tom

Tom Istari

Thanks, Chess! I really hope so too. Ultimately, I think my...eclectic...college education will end up helping me in life. I feel it's forced me to become a more adaptive, hardworking person than I would have if I'd stayed at one insitution for four years. I've definitely learned to land on my feet, and to make the most of a bad situation while refusing to resign myself to "just sticking it out". Being proactive is an important skill to learn early.

Congrats on that one star! Print it out and frame it. Treasure it. You truly have arrived.

Chessie2 likes this.
  12. DragonOfTheAerie

Second rejection!

This was actually yesterday but whatever I kinda forgot about it.

Wait, shit, I forgot, this is actually my third

Whatever I am submitting stuff :D

Demesnedenoir and Malik like this.
  13. DragonOfTheAerie

Omg thats great

Tom likes this.
  14. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

Last Thursday, Eve of Snows kicked to #1 in the Norse Fantasy categry in Australia, and it’s mostly been there since. It’s bounced between 1 & 2, but stuck at #1 all through Sunday down under. Amazon is opaque, but it’s obvious that Amazon did a promo after I kicked some ad money in. It was a FB ad for $2.50 per day which I started after getting the first native Aussie review, and it was a beautiful review from a top 500. Once hitting #1 I dropped more dollars, averaging about $15/day, which not only has taken profit but held the #1 slot.

As a starting point, when I dropped the first ad money in, EoS was sitting at 180k overall, it topped out at 500 and is now slotted fairly stready for a few days in 1000-1500 overall.

How much credit can 1 review get? Sure, EoS has way more reviews overall than when previosly advertised in Australia, but it really is the only major difference I’m aware of.

Malik likes this.