Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Flemming Hansen, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

2. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Svrtnsse likes this.
  3. Svrtnsse

The barista at one of the coffee shops I write at asked if he could use one of the promotional quotes for Lost Dogs for a tattoo. I'm both flattered and scared. I told him I'd be honoured, but that he ought to read the book first.
    The promo quote is this one:
    IMG_20180626_195009_199.jpg
    I'm not holding my breath for him to do it, but it's still cool that he even asked.

4. kennyc

kennyc Grandmaster

I finally got two new collections of poetry together - one traditional, one prose poetry/microfiction.
    This had been on my goals list for two years now. Yeah for me!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Laurence, Rhizanthella and Malik like this.
  5. Rhizanthella

Rhizanthella Mystagogue

I finished my fifth draft of my debut novel a few months back and just recently finished making my list for agents. 9 years ago, I finished the first draft of this book and my friend mentioned an agent to me. A freshman in high school, I had no real idea what that meant. Now, after accidentally falling in love with writing, completing the first draft of the whole series, and editing and revising the first book until everyone started screaming at me to publish, I'm here. I'm actually about to seriously talk to agents about starting my career for real. You can imagine my nerves right now.

I'm smiling back at my fourteen year old self who had no idea what she was doing, and looking forward with only a little less of one. XD Wish me luck!

Laurence, Demesnedenoir and kennyc like this.
  6. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

I'm not really high-fiving me, I'm high-fiving Eve of Snows, heh heh. Since the book has no hands, I had to do it.

My initial goal while watching KDP was to see days of 500 page reads... basically making it a book's worth of pages per day. The first 10 days of the release were full of wild swings with the best day 1011, and down as low as 64 and 111 on the 4th of July. But on the 5th it went into the 500's, 6-8 went to 8 & 900's, broke 1200 on the 9th, broke 1k again yesterdayt, and already this morning over 400... So, Eve should see a week straight of 500+ page read days.

Worthy of a little "woot!"

7. Rhizanthella

Rhizanthella Mystagogue

That is so exciting, Demesnedenoir! Congratulations! Woo!

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  8. Malik

Malik Shadow Lord

Laurence, Rkcapps, Chessie2 and 4 others like this.
  9. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

Malik, you are always very informative.

Malik likes this.
  10. Svrtnsse

Gratz! :D

Malik likes this.
  11. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Staff Article Team

Wow! Congratulations! That's awesome. :D

Malik likes this.
  12. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Way to go, Malik! I hope the second book does phenomenal as well. :)

Malik likes this.
  13. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

Congrats on the big 10k!

I never heard it couldn't be done, but it is still a feat.

And yeah, I have to agree with most of what you've said, although I am many moons behind you in release.

I think the 30 and 60 day cliffs are created by the books and promotion strategies, or lack thereof, not the algorithm per se. Sales are sales, and Amazon reacts to them the same no matter what, far as I can tell. I've seen nothing in particular happen at 30 & 60. Just passed 60, will hit 500 sales in the next week or so and be well over 100k page reads by the end of September/90 days. Page reads trends up, sales just clip along with spikes during promotions. Nothing different to my eye.

There are a lot of myths and half-truths out there when the data necessary to really understand what's going on is hidden behind proprietary walls, LOL.

Rkcapps and Malik like this.
  14. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

I also have to say, to agree with something more specifically... with the caveat that things will be different for different books and genres...

But I experimented with a "sale" at $2.99 and! I can sell just as many copies at $5.99, most of the time, and at worst, sell enough at $5.99 to cover the difference in quantity sold due to profit per sale. Hell, some days sold more at $5.99. But sales are, for the most part, comparable. Now, this is a 500 page epic, which is part of the caveat, LOL. People willing to spend $2.99 seem mostly as willing to spend $5.99. 2.99 might even make some people anticipate junk. I know I'm that way. Now, $16.99? My apologies to writers and publishers everywhere, but there are about 3 writers in the world I will spend $16.99 on for a digital copy of a book, LOL. It's been a while since I got to pick on Sanderson, SO! kiss off to $16.99 for a digital book. Nope, ain't gonna happen.

A 0.99 sale on a countdown deal is another story all together. That price point is a bit more magical.

kennyc and Malik like this.
  15. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Mystagogue

That's super, Malik! Congrats!

16. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

Funny thing about milestones, you hit 'em, cruise on by and start looking at the next... Eve of Snows hit 500 digital and paperback sales a couple days ago, staring at 100k page reads now, LOL. And over 1k page reads per day average overall, which feels good considering the slow start at launch.

kennyc, Chessie2, Malik and 1 other person like this.
  17. Writeking

Writeking Mystagogue

Turned my book idea into a screenplay, almost done with the first draft of the screenplay. Yay.

Rkcapps and Malik like this.
  18. Writeking

Writeking Mystagogue

Finished the first draft of my screenplay at 143 pages. Progress, Yay.

Demesnedenoir, kennyc and Malik like this.
  19. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Dark Lord

One day short of 3 months, and 100k page reads on KU for Eve of Snows. Not huge! But it feels like something. Now to get that to 100k per month, heh heh.

Next step... Bookbub.

Malik likes this.
  20. DragonOfTheAerie

DragonOfTheAerie Valar Lord

Submitted every good poem I have to contests and magazines. (About 18 poems in total.) Now we wait.