• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
whole bunch of writers on another board that shall remain nameless apparently forgot to tell my fans that self-publishing a decades-encompassing "masterpiece" work that got passed over multiple times -- and then only writing one book per year -- is stupid because no one will ever buy it.

Congrats!

We have, or rather had, another member here, now a successful author, who adopted a similar strategy: one novel a year, plus a few short stories, all set in the same world - a sort of role-playing game gone real, with a lot of crude humor thrown in. As I recollect, he does much of his promotion on social media.

Malik

Auror
Congrats!

We have, or rather had, another member here, now a successful author, who adopted a similar strategy: one novel a year, plus a few short stories, all set in the same world - a sort of role-playing game gone real, with a lot of crude humor thrown in. As I recollect, he does much of his promotion on social media.

Thanks. There was a noticeable shift this year in the attitudes of the attending professional writers toward the indie authors. They seemed really receptive and supportive, which was a one-eighty from my experiences in previous years. It might have helped that I got some people's attention with that line of fans at my signing session. Other authors were stopping me in the hallways to shake my hand and introduce themselves after that. One author who shall remain nameless, but whose work I enjoy, said he has a labor of love manuscript that his agent won't touch, and he wants to Skype and pick my brain about self-publishing. I was floored.

Russ

Istar
Thanks. There was a noticeable shift this year in the attitudes of the attending professional writers toward the indie authors. They seemed really receptive and supportive, which was a one-eighty from my experiences in previous years. It might have helped that I got some people's attention with that line of fans at my signing session. Other authors were stopping me in the hallways to shake my hand and introduce themselves after that. One author who shall remain nameless, but whose work I enjoy, said he has a labor of love manuscript that his agent won't touch, and he wants to Skype and pick my brain about self-publishing. I was floored.

Great stuff. Very pleased for your success. There is nothing more fun than a successful book signing.

I totally agree that the indy v traditional silliness is settling down with far less hostility and condescension in the past. My wife runs a high end writer's conference every year and they are including more and more indy writers and programming all the time.

I really have to read your book now.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
HOLY ASS, DRAGON'S TRAIL JUST GOT A BOOKBUB. I came back from the gym and found the email waiting for me. May 6th, worldwide outside the US, so UK, Australia, India, Canada. And that's fine. I'll take it.

I may have to go back to the gym.

Nothing but blue skies ahead!

C

Chessie

I swear I'm not stalking you, Malik. But it's super cool to see how well you've done--this business is TOUGH. And my mind just keeps going back to how poorly you were treated by our fellow authors about the 1 book a year thing. I don't believe in luck, just hard work, and you've definitely done that. I like seeing my fellow fantasy authors succeed, too. So congratulations a second time. Rubbing it in people's face ain't cool, right? But shit, they were wrong. LOL

Russ

Istar
HOLY ASS, DRAGON'S TRAIL JUST GOT A BOOKBUB. I came back from the gym and found the email waiting for me. May 6th, worldwide outside the US, so UK, Australia, India, Canada. And that's fine. I'll take it.

I may have to go back to the gym.

I look forward to seeing it in my in box!

Malik

Auror
I swear I'm not stalking you, Malik. But it's super cool to see how well you've done--this business is TOUGH. And my mind just keeps going back to how poorly you were treated by our fellow authors about the 1 book a year thing. I don't believe in luck, just hard work, and you've definitely done that. I like seeing my fellow fantasy authors succeed, too. So congratulations a second time. Rubbing it in people's face ain't cool, right? But shit, they were wrong. LOL

I said it back then: "I could be wrong about this, but I'm not."

C

Chessie

It just goes to show there are many ways to do this writing thing. And since this is shameless self-appreciation thread, lol, one of my books made it into the top 100 of the free list on Amazon last week (made it to 89). Nothing really to brag home about, but without promotion, I thought that was pretty cool.

It just goes to show there are many ways to do this writing thing. And since this is shameless self-appreciation thread, lol, one of my books made it into the top 100 of the free list on Amazon last week (made it to 89). Nothing really to brag home about, but without promotion, I thought that was pretty cool.

That is nothing short of amazing, in my book, especially since it happened without promotion from you. There are obviously other people out there spending their time promoting you, such as by word-of-mouth or reviews or tweets or maybe even advertising (that you don't have to pay for!), and that's a sign someone other than yourself loves what you're doing. Doesn't get any better than that.

Malik

Auror
As I type this, DRAGON'S TRAIL is:

#3 in Epic Fantasy in the U.K.

#1 in Fantasy (overall) in Canada.

#6 in Fantasy (overall) in Australia.

I can check "Become an international bestselling author" off of my bucket list.

18268202_442189079469635_1995498029120439941_n.jpg

Canada-Best-Seller-05-06-17.png

Canada-Best-Seller-Fantasy-Overall-05-06-17.jpg

australia-Fantasy-number-6-1024x576.png

As I type this, DRAGON'S TRAIL is:

#3 in Epic Fantasy in the U.K.

#1 in Fantasy (overall) in Canada.

#6 in Fantasy (overall) in Australia.

I can check "Become an international bestselling author" off of my bucket list.

18268202_442189079469635_1995498029120439941_n.jpg

Canada-Best-Seller-05-06-17.png

Canada-Best-Seller-Fantasy-Overall-05-06-17.jpg

australia-Fantasy-number-6-1024x576.png

That's so cool! Congratulations! The feeling of achievement must be glorious.

Malik

Auror
It is pretty goddamn cool, yes. It's a pizza and champagne night, my wife and I are sitting here on our laptops drinking and checking my rankings, clinking our glasses whenever it goes up a notch. It's now up to #2 in Fantasy in Australia, and well under the Top 100 Paid overall in both Canada and Australia. This night just keeps getting better.

Rkcapps

Sage
Well done! I'm in Australia so will check it out after I finish my current book. See if we can change that 2 to 1!