• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Should you skip the ancient history of a invented world?

TWErvin2

Auror
Include historic information as it becomes relevant to the characters and plot.

There is nothing wrong with having developed the history (having it established as the foundation or structure for what is currently happening). Actually, it will help with consistency, especially if there is more than one novel set in the created world.

gumsoul

As evident here in the replies, many fantasy readers enjoy being immersed in a fully developed world, rich with unique landscapes, cities, races, creatures, and yes, history. My WIP deals with a theme of the dangers of exaggerated or misleading historical "facts," distorted through the ages, and the truth long forgotten. I am a bit of a history nut, so I obsess over timelines, and often come to blocks in productivity over these tiny details that are ultimately irrelevant to the overall narrative.

The short answer is, "no, you do not need to divulge ancient history to tell a fantasy story;" however, I believe you are limiting your own and more importantly, your readers' imagination by not at least adding some elements that divulge into ancient history.

EponasSong

Scribe
Personally I love history. It adds depth to the book. But what I don't like is a huge info dump forced downy my throat. Perfect balance? Hunks of history told in an interesting way that is relevant to the events happening in the book at that point in time. Bonus points if it sets up for future events or foreshadows events to come. It's very difficult in my opinion for a fantasy book not to have some sort of history/ancient past. How much depends on the book. So many variables...so many....