• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Slap It or Save It

GeekDavid

Auror
Slap/save. Depends on the rogue and the wizard in question. Some rogues are just jerks.

Next person is watching the baseball postseason. :)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Slap. I don't like sports. Don't watch 'em.

Next poster has more than one story in progress at any given time.

GeekDavid

Auror
Slap. It takes twice as long to get anything done that way.

Next person has more than one book they're reading at any given time.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Save, I get hyped to write a good fight and I'm comfortable saying it's a strong point for me. Hopefully I'm not delusional. :happy:

The next poster writes fun dialogue.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
#shakes fist at Devor for the ninja post.

Save? I'm not sure what you mean by fun. Trying to make it as natural and (ir)relevant as real life.

The next poster started writing after reading a fantasy book and thinking "I can do that".

Last edited:

GeekDavid

Auror
Save, but it was more than one... it's probably been in the hundreds by now.

Next poster believes that the more you read the better you'll write.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I know it's against the grain, but I'll say slap on that, sorta. I think there's a mushy middle in the learning curve where reading too much hurts more than it helps and fills your head with cliches and gives you a poor impression of how your work compares. That is, I think there's a point in the learning curve where you need to flush your head of all the books you've read, figure out your own ideas and start to find your own voice, before you dive too heavily into the read-everything mentality. I don't think reading for volume does much good before you've found yourself.

The next poster easily gets sidetracked while trying to do research.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Save! Seen it at least three times. :D

(You cannot escape The Game. If you think about it, you lose.)

The next poster is going to see The Hobbit part 2 as soon as it hits theaters.

GeekDavid

Auror
(Ireth ninja'ed me!)

Slap. I prefer the books to any movie.

Next poster saves bathroom breaks for commercials on TV.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Slap. I don't watch TV. No commercials for me. XD

The next poster will share a short excerpt from their WIP that they particularly enjoyed writing.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Save. Alright. This is from the first chapter.

The song faded, and died. She leaned deeper into the shadow in an obvious attempt to avoid notice. When Alden crouched beside her, she announced her annoyance with a deep breath.

“My name is Alden. The song you’re humming, it’s a child’s song.”

She turned to face him, wincing as she tucked a length of hair behind her ear. He smiled, recognizing the woman from the battle. The scar received another application of the Anointed’s poultice. From the sharp smell, it coated half her body beneath the loose fitting tunic.

He hugged the blanket tighter against her silent stare. “You have a pleasant voice.”

“Thank you.” She leaned forward and ran fingers through his hair, tugging at his scalp when she broke up crusted hair. “You’re not injured.”

“I feel like I stood in the path of a charging bison.”

Her eyes, liquid with curiosity, found his. “You were an archer. Whose blood is this?”

“I don’t know. I can’t remember anything after the dragon appeared.”

She remained motionless, searching for something in his words. Finding it, she nodded and traced the line of his jaw. “Am I ugly.”

“No. You are beautiful.”

“Everything is beautiful on the other side of death.” She leaned closer, her flaring nostrils the only sign of her discomfort. “I want a girl.”

Blood thundered through his body at her demands. He breathed through parted lips to hide his eagerness. “Are you able?”

“I survived a dragon.” Warm lips brushed against his.

“You will have your girl.”

The next poster is deciding between writing or making something to eat (I just did and settled on some carrots).

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Slap. I'm not hungry at the moment.

The next poster wishes they could write all day with no distractions or repercussions.

GeekDavid

Auror
Slap it. My creativity runs in fits and spurts and needs other activity to jump-start it sometimes. I'm used to it by now, I dunno what I'd do any other way.

The next person builds break time into their writing time.

GeekDavid

Auror
Looks like we're fizzling out here... let's try a new round.

The next poster completely forgot about this game.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Save, but still by the alarm clock.

The next poster uses an app or extension to block distracting websites while they write.