• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Software Updated

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Just me, and it may just blend into the background in time, but I am noticing more red on the screen, in buttons, and tags. Red is the color of alarm. I wonder if they site might look more inviting if they were muted.

Phietadix

Auror
These don't necessarily count as errors, as it is possible they were intentional changes. The edit button in the chat is no longer present. Plus the color of the page that displays behind content is now displaying a bright blue, rather than the darker color it was before

First visit to the new site. Impressions: Odd, but crisp. It'd be like visiting a favorite flea market and finding it replaced by a brand spanking new shopping center, except the same stalls are there. They're just all new material, very spic-and-span.

Once I found the "Latest Activity" tab under the New Posts section, I didn't feel as lost. (It's pretty much my go-to landing zone, so there was a bit of terror when I didn't see it at first.)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
No errors found, just commentary on its function.

I am not really liking the new posts screen because it is not showing the latest thing I know is posted. I am not sure the logic being used for it, but when I reply to this thread, I would like it to move back to the top of the list.

Also, I am more usually looking for the last post in the thread and not the first. I think the order is backwards. The link on the left should be to the last post, the one on the right to the first (which is a link made with the time stamp).

Added: Yes, when I posted this, it is not visible from the new posts screen, but the latest activity screen. I like the look of the new posts more than the latest activity screen, but new posts is not as useful, as it is not really showing the newest posts.

I also dont need 'Watched', 'Search', Find threads' and such as much as I need latest activity. Those button's I would rarely if ever click on. I dont think I have ever used 'mark forums read'.

I also dont need new media, new portfolios, or new wall posts to be prominent as buttons. Not more than the buttons used for the forum section.

Last edited:

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm gradually addressing certain issues, as time allows.

I think Lastest posts should be more prominent on the selection line then many of the other options. Lastest posts is more complete than 'new posts', but its not as easy to locate

Good suggestion, pmmg. I have made "Latest Activity" easier to find, and removed some of the clutter from that particular news feed to make it more useful.

I am not really liking the new posts screen because it is not showing the latest thing I know is posted.

"New posts" was defaulting to showing only unread new posts. I changed that, as it was confusing.

The edit button in the chat is no longer present.

Thanks for catching that, Phietadix. I had to tweak some settings, but the edit button should now be visible in chat.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Would it also be possible to link images and videos again in the chat?

I'm not seeing an option for this in the chat settings, although I may not be looking in the right place. Can you explain how this worked in the old software?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I'm not seeing an option for this in the chat settings, although I may not be looking in the right place. Can you explain how this worked in the old software?
Thanks for looking. It used to be the case that there were options listed just above the textbox (same bar as the smileys) which you could click on. This would open a small pop-up in which you could paste a link to an image or video, so it would display in the chat.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks for looking. It used to be the case that there were options listed just above the textbox (same bar as the smileys) which you could click on. This would open a small pop-up in which you could paste a link to an image or video, so it would display in the chat.
I figured it out! This setting was buried in an unexpected place. Please let me know if it's working as expected.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It looks like there's one more small chat issue. It's doing a weird job of tracking who is or isn't still in the room. In the last system it listed you as being in the room only after you sent a message, and then hid you from the list if you didn't say anything for I think 30 minutes (you could still lurk). Right now it's showing 18 people in the chat, many of whom haven't posted anything in a long time. I logged in briefly as Ganondorf, didn't say a word, then logged out. But Ganondorf is still shown as in the room, and will be for a while. It gets a little confusing if you don't know who's really talking to you in the room.

It's not a major issue, but it's probably just checkbox somewhere on your end, so I figured I'd mention it.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks for letting me know. I tweaked some settings, which will hopefully resolve this. However, it may take an hour or two for the numbers to self-correct. Please let me know if the problem persists two hours from now.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Thanks for letting me know. I tweaked some settings, which will hopefully resolve this. However, it may take an hour or two for the numbers to self-correct. Please let me know if the problem persists two hours from now.

Excellent, it's working much better now.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I notice the links to the membership pages are missing. Is that intentional? I look at those all the time. It puts up all the old threads.