• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Stages of mastery

SeverinR

Vala
In any form of art, painting, sculpting, woodworking, etc.(even writing)
I have noticed certain similarities.

Stages of learning:

1. Admirer
2. Imitator
3. Apprentice
4. Explorer
5. Master

Admirer: sees something that interests them, merely a spectator in the arts.

Imitator: Sees the art and copies it in their view. It is different by their point of view only, it is a copy of what they see in others work.

Apprentice: begins studying why they or others like the art of one or more artists.

Explorer: begins to experiment with different aspects of the art to find what works for them.

Master: Begins to find their unique contribution to the art, molding and sculpting what they have learned into their art. Takes what they have learned and created something different. The master expands the art.

So if you are writing works that are not original, that is part of learning, imitator phase.
if you are mixing Lord of the rings and Harry Potter you would be in explorer phase.
If you are seasoning your writing with numerous authors without the reader realizing it, then that is mastery.

What do you thinK?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I can't disagree with this, as it mirrors my own experience. I would place myself in the explorer phase as of right now.

How long would you anticipate each phase lasting, and do you believe it common for writers to move backwards?

Max Roe

Acolyte
In my personal opinion it would differ depending on the artist, and how hard they strive to enhance their skills. And if they choose not to enhance their skills or not to maintain them for long enough, I think one could move backwards to a certain extent.

SeverinR

Vala
I can see regression if one did not keep up thier skills in what ever the skill is.

I wrote this because I had seen a couple people upset because their work mirrored someone elses.
IMO thats part of mastery. imitator phase.

I also think people can fluctuate between phases. Like a child drops back to crawl when they aren't confident in their ability.