• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Starting Wordbuilding

Regrix

Dreamer
Thanks so much for the link to my blog and leading me to this awesome, awesome, woohoo community of fantasy writers. Can't wait to meet more of you!

Regrix:

What exactly is your issue with the Panthenon?

What is great about fantasy writing is that we - within reason - make the rules. If you want 10, 4, 14, or 7 gods, go for it. Just be sure that each has a purpose and meaning. I will say that if you look back over world mythology, most pantheons are over 10 (but don't be limited by this average).

For example, the most well known pantheon in western civilization - and a great Pantheon to anchor your fantasy world with - would be the Greco-Roman Pantheon. It has 12 core gods (and a lot of demigods and incestuous issues following).

The Leader/God of Sky: Zeus/Jupiter
The Female Leader/Goddess of Marriage & Family: Hera/Juno
God of Sea: Poseidon/Neptune
Godess of Fertility/Agriculture/Harvest/Seasons : Demeter/Ceres
God of Wine/Celebrations/Ecstasy: Dionysus/Bacchus
God of light/knowledge/arts/healing/music/sun: Apollo/Phoebus
Goddess of the hunt/virginity/moon/animals: Artemis/Diana
The Messenger & God of Commerce/Thieves/Games: Hermes/Mercury
Goddess of Wisdom/Strategy/Defense: Athena/Minerva
God of War/Violence: Ares/Mars
Goddess of Love/Beauty/Lust: Aphrodite/Venus
Craftsman of the Gods & God of Fire: Hephaestus/Vulcan

Then, some would argue, beyond the 12 that Hades/Pluto (Death), Eros/Cupid (sex), and even Persephone/Proserpina (Queen of Underworld & Goddess of Spring) have earned rank up in that Pantheon bringing the number of definitive gods to 15.

If you're a bit overwhelmed, think of WHY people have had gods/goddesses in the past.

To explain what they cannot explain without the unseen.

The greeks had to explain life, death, the seasons, the tides, the volcanoes, the wars, the lust, the greed, agriculture, hunting, husbandry, birth, etc. because there was no outright answer.

Your world should also answer and explain the unexplainable with gods & goddesses so make a list of these "unexplainables" that your world might need to justify and go from there.

Thanks for the feedback...

Yeah, it's not a problem per se... where as I'm building the world from a particular location outward it's just a question of how much is too much I suppose. Though your advice is quite useful in the fact that there are always unknowns that need explination. Odds are there'll be plenty of gods in this new world.

--------

ALB2012: Thanks for the links, I can't wait to see what those sites can offer :)

TheokinsJ

Troubadour
I start with a map, I draw mountains, rivers, create cities, then do research on cultures and geography of certain regions. My first map and names of places are never final, by the time I end the world building process I have probably redrawn my maps at least eight or nine times and changed names and landmarks. I then go onto building the cultures, religions and kingdoms/nations. The world is what determines everything, that's why I start with a map. For example; if my world was a series of Islands in a large ocean, this would lead me to think that perhaps the people worship a 'sea god', and therefor I can establish the religion of the world. The same can be said for magic and history, depending on the geography of the map I can determine where people came from, why the kingdoms are where they are and all these thoughts lead to other thoughts and before I know it, I've expanded my ideas and my world is coming to life!

Phil_js

I find it easier to work out the histories of various countries and why they where formed, by who and by what means before I delve into anything else. Easier to build from the ground up essentially.