1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Starting Wordbuilding

Discussion in 'World Building' started by michealmurrayart, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Regrix

Regrix Dreamer

Thanks for the feedback...

Yeah, it's not a problem per se... where as I'm building the world from a particular location outward it's just a question of how much is too much I suppose. Though your advice is quite useful in the fact that there are always unknowns that need explination. Odds are there'll be plenty of gods in this new world.

--------

ALB2012: Thanks for the links, I can't wait to see what those sites can offer :)

2. TheokinsJ

TheokinsJ Troubadour

I start with a map, I draw mountains, rivers, create cities, then do research on cultures and geography of certain regions. My first map and names of places are never final, by the time I end the world building process I have probably redrawn my maps at least eight or nine times and changed names and landmarks. I then go onto building the cultures, religions and kingdoms/nations. The world is what determines everything, that's why I start with a map. For example; if my world was a series of Islands in a large ocean, this would lead me to think that perhaps the people worship a 'sea god', and therefor I can establish the religion of the world. The same can be said for magic and history, depending on the geography of the map I can determine where people came from, why the kingdoms are where they are and all these thoughts lead to other thoughts and before I know it, I've expanded my ideas and my world is coming to life!

3. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I posted in this thread and never realized the title actually says word building. lol.

Nihal likes this.
  4. Phil_js

Phil_js New Member

I find it easier to work out the histories of various countries and why they where formed, by who and by what means before I delve into anything else. Easier to build from the ground up essentially.