• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Stories That Matter (Tor)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
My post isn't about stories that matter but about blogs that matter. Thanks, Steerpike, for the reference. I read the essay. It wasn't really about worlds that matter, it was only a personal reminiscence, as an introduction. I thought, okay, you didn't tell me much, but you promised something.

Then I looked at the date. July 31. Today's August 22, and no new essay. I left and didn't bother to bookmark.

Only after I closed it out did I reflect on my behavior. It was just a quick reaction; I wasn't following some sort of personal rule about following blogs, but I bet I'm typical. If you're going to introduce something, you'd better follow through. I'm guessing most of us have a blog of some sort.

I'm taking this as a personal guideline now. When I start my Altearth blog, which I'll begin in late October, I need to make sure that there's a new post at least every week. If I go longer, then the one post needs to make a promise about a specific date, and then I need to keep that promise. I need to treat my readers' time as being at least as valuable as my own.

I suppose that can apply to stories as well. If I promise (implicitly) something in one scene, I need to deliver. If I keep my literary promises, my reader will keep reading. Maybe all the way to the end!