• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Style Choices... So many...

Butterfly

Auror
I am at the stage where I am thinking about the overall style and presentation of my WIP. There are a couple of issues that I am indecisive on, for some reason that I haven't managed to identify yet.

Chapter Headings... are the main choice problem.

I am currently using this format — Chapter Number Worded: Title (POV character) =

Chapter Twenty-One: Retribution (Dan)

All the chapters one word summaries of what happens in each chapter, or where it is taking place, who it is about, or what the conflict is ultimately about. (Sometimes it’s a bit difficult to work all this out).

The issues are:—

Should the O in One be capitalised or not?

But, I can’t decide if it’s better to use numerals instead of the words. (By better, I mean easier on the eyes).

Which would make it...

Chapter 21: Retribution (Dan)

Also, I can’t decide whether or not to drop the POV character from the headings. I initially put them in in brackets to help with the structuring of the novel. The plan was to delete them when I came to the end of it. Now that I’m getting close, I’m wondering if it’s worth keeping them or deleting them and leaving the reader work out who the POV is. They are all named pretty close to the beginning so context should not be a problem, but I am thinking that perhaps it’s a little extra help, or is too much help?

This would reduce it to...

Chapter 21: Retribution

I am actually veering towards the second option at the moment. But I’d be grateful for outside opinions on the issues.

I also can’t decide on whether one word chapter titles are useful. I’ve tried to remain consistent, but I don’t like some of them, so they need rethinking on occasion. Would it be better to be inconsistent and to have 2 or 3 word titles scattered throughout it, or try to expand them to all 2 or 3 worders?

Or does none of this really matter in the end? (I haven’t decided if I’m going to go the trad or self-pub route yet).

Also, what about dropping the Chapter and making it...

21: Retribution

Or do I not even need numbers..?

Retribution

So many choices.... and only one edition...

Addison

Auror
I know how decisions like that can be sanity-testing. Personally, from reading experience, this is my opinion. Writing "Chapter 21" or just "21" is good. Writing out the number, not so good. Giving the chapter a title, also good. But you don't have to tell the reader which POV. They'll see who it is in the first paragraph.

A question though, do you plan on making the chapter title (number and actual title) all one line? Or do you plan on putting the chapter and number centered on one line and the name centered below it?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Consistency is important because inconsistencies are distracting. So whatever you choose, stick to that model. Sometimes, giving the POV in the heading can ease transitions from one to the other. This can help when dealing with a lot of POVs.

There are many ways to handle chapter headings and it's really just up to what you want if you're self-publishing. If you're going for traditional publishing, don't worry about it at this point.

For my tastes, I'd much prefer chapter numbers to number values written as text:

"Chapter 21" just reads easier than "Chapter Twenty-one".

As far as using one word descriptions/hints or titling as the POV, what are you trying to accomplish with the header? Are you more interested in informing your reader about what is coming or are you more interested in telling the reader who the next POV is? Is it important to do both? That should rule your decision.

Chapter 21

Chapter 21: Retribution

Chapter 21: Retribution (Dan) *I'm not a big fan of parentheses here.

Chapter 21: Dan

Dan

Dan - 6 (even though this may be chapter 21 overall)

Dan 6: Retribution

I threw in the last three as other options. If you have multiple POVs and you merely wish to inform the reader on who the next POV is, "Dan" can work fine on its own. Or, you could tell the reader that this is the sixth time Dan's POV has been told (Dan - 6). Likewise, you could combine title and POV in the last design. This tells the reader it's in Dan's POV, it's the sixth "Dan chapter", and hints that there will be some revenge type elements in the chapter.

Last edited:

OGone

Troubadour
This is the format I use without the POV:

Chapter 21
Dan - Retribution

I would scrap either the POV or chapter name though. I personally don't think you need the name of the POV because it should become apparent in your writing pretty quickly. If you're using first person it might become a little more difficult to distinguish the POVs though (unless you use really distinct narrative for each character) in which case you could scrap the one word chapter name instead.

Butterfly

Auror
So many more....

Thanks all.

Addison... yes all going to be on one line (at the moment).

T.Allen... so many more choices. I'm more concerned about summarising what the chapter is about.

OGone... another choice. Hadn't thought of centring.

I think I'm going to go with numerals, and title, and scrap POV. Will have to think hard about the size and centring though...

Filk

Troubadour
If you are going to have a title for each chapter then you shouldn't spell out the number of the chapter. If you don't own a style manual (Chicago, Words into Type, and Copyeditor's Handbook) I would recommend purchasing one at this point. I use CH personally, but having the other two around can't hurt and if you look around I am sure you will find more style manuals.

Whatever you decide, put it in your style sheet. If you don't have a style sheet then you should probably create one. All of your stylistic choices should be consistent; you can even break rules if you do it consistently. Other things you should include are your choices concerning the dreaded possessive s' vs. s's, whether to spell it grey or gray, etc. If you are planning on spending a lifetime writing, it may even be a good idea to establish such rules early on and stick to them throughout your career.

Good luck with your tough choices!

Nebuchadnezzar

Troubadour
My own entirely personal preference is:

1. Chapter numbering with numerals. Roman if the work is short, regular numbers if long (because it's hard to immediately figure out Chapter XXXVIII for some people and it's kind of unsightly too.

2. No chapter titles, for the same reason Seal doesn't include lyrics in his album releases. Let the reader decide what the chapter means for them, rather than insisting that they take away the message you think is there.

3. Include POV character names if it switches from chapter to chapter. Otherwise the reader will automatically & unconsciously start reading from the POV of the previous chapter and will have to reset once they figure out the new POV. Even if they figure it out in one or two sentences, it can break the flow for them.

All of these are my preference and much better writers than yours truly take different approaches.

Stupid question, maybe, but isn't this the sort of thing determined by your editor when the book is published? (Unless you're self-publishing, of course . . .)

Butterfly

Auror
Haven't decided which way to go yet. (I said that somewhere up there^^^)

Last edited:

Addison

Auror
An editor doesn't make the design choices....I don't think. It's still your work and they'll know you have an idea to what it looks like and they take it out of respect. They'll listen and work to put it into the finished work.