• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Substitute for the cross

Gurkhal

Auror
Ok, so I have come to the point that I am finding my Teron setting somewhat uninspiring and rather than risk getting bored or burned out with it I decided to switch to a new setting for my short stories. Thus Manskland was born. Its pretty much a low-magic fantasy version of Scandinavia from the Bronze Age to the High Middle Ages.

But there is one thing which I have so far been unable to fix. And that is what kind of symbol shall be used by my version of Christianity. So does anyone have a good idea for what can be used instead of a cross? I had one idea to use a spear and say that the Christ-figure was impaled rather than crucified. But I am totally open to other suggestions.

If people would need some more info to make a good suggestion just ask and I'll answer as well as I can.

GeekDavid

Auror
Brent Weeks, in his Night Angel trilogy, has his Christ-figure executed on a wheel, so the wheel became the symbol.

Other than that, you could use just about any symbol of peace... a dove, a shaft of sunlight breaking through clouds, a lamb... the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
A Trident has been used as a Christian symbol, probably because of the double image of the Holy Trinity and of a fisherman. I also think there is a bit of a pagan hangover in there as well... but this is really not my area of expertise.

GeekDavid

Auror
A Trident has been used as a Christian symbol, probably because of the double image of the Holy Trinity and of a fisherman. I also think there is a bit of a pagan hangover in there as well... but this is really not my area of expertise.

That's a possibility too.

Bottom line, whatever you choose, as long as it makes a reasonable amount of sense, should be accepted by most readers.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
A fish has been a symbol of Christianity since long before the cross ever caught on. The ancient Greek word for fish, ichthys, doubled as an acronym about Jesus. I CH TH Y S = Iesous Christos Theou Uios Soter, which translates to "Jesus Christ, God's Son, [our] Savior."

Pythagoras

Troubadour
I think that your symbol should depend on what is focused on in your version. So the question becomes how different your version is from the real version.
Pagan ideas would have held on as well, as has been said. What I find interesting is the fact that Odin hung from a tree for nine days with his side pierced by a spear so he could learn the wisdom of the dead... sounds awfully similar to someone else, doesn't it? Anyway, symbol aside and speaking of pagans, do you have a pagan culture in place for the times before the coming of your 'christianity'? Because that too is important in figuring out the way in which this religion shapes the people.

Queshire

Istar
I was going to suggest a spear for the odin connection that Pythagoras already mentioned. Hmmmm.... I would suggest focusing less on what the symbol itself is as what it means. The meaning of the cross is pretty common knowledge so I don't really think it needs to be repeated here, but in addition to something like the cross you could have some symbol representing one of the key lessons of the religion, or a particularly important belief. For instance, a religion that features a coming golden age might have a sun rise for a symbol.

Hi,

I was going to suggest the fish like Ireth as well. It is one of the oldest icons for Christianity around - though while I've also heard the translation theory for why its used, the one I favour is the simpler one that its related to a biblical story. Jesus said to James (I think - it's a long time since I went to Sunday school) Come and I shall make you a fisher of men.

However this site may give you more to work with.

Christian Symbols - ReligionFacts

Cheers, Greg.

Gurkhal

Auror
Brent Weeks, in his Night Angel trilogy, has his Christ-figure executed on a wheel, so the wheel became the symbol.

Other than that, you could use just about any symbol of peace... a dove, a shaft of sunlight breaking through clouds, a lamb... the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

I agree about imagination, and that kind of the trouble. There's some many things that could work that I am positively overwhelmed by the sheer amount of possible choices.

A trident could be pretty cool

That's a possibility too.

Bottom line, whatever you choose, as long as it makes a reasonable amount of sense, should be accepted by most readers.

I agree with this.

A fish has been a symbol of Christianity since long before the cross ever caught on. The ancient Greek word for fish, ichthys, doubled as an acronym about Jesus. I CH TH Y S = Iesous Christos Theou Uios Soter, which translates to "Jesus Christ, God's Son, [our] Savior."

That's a good idea but I would think that I would want an object instead.

I think that your symbol should depend on what is focused on in your version. So the question becomes how different your version is from the real version.
Pagan ideas would have held on as well, as has been said. What I find interesting is the fact that Odin hung from a tree for nine days with his side pierced by a spear so he could learn the wisdom of the dead... sounds awfully similar to someone else, doesn't it? Anyway, symbol aside and speaking of pagans, do you have a pagan culture in place for the times before the coming of your 'christianity'? Because that too is important in figuring out the way in which this religion shapes the people.

I imagine that my Christianity will not be all that different as its a fairly obvious stand-in for the real thing. Its both about compassion for you fellow man as well as a growing militarism as a hard world makes itself felt, and the religion's alliance with the worldy powers of the kings and lords makes pacifism far from desirable. One thing of course is also that I am thinking of making my god more Old Testament and based him on Baal, while the Christ figure is more of a compassionate person who died for mankind and acts as a kind of intermediate between the imperfect humans and the more distant and unforgiving god.

In regards to Odin I agree that there are superficial similiarities but there are to my knowledge so many differences from the two things that they are very different things.

In regards to the pagan culture I do think that I have a fairly good grasp on it. It will basically be a Norse and Celtic polytheistic traditions which goes from animism to hierarchical and wealthy priesthoods with a smaller number of anthropomorphic "Great Gods" and a number of lesser gods who serve the great and may or may not be understood as aspects of the Great Gods. I have kind of narrowed down the general development of this religion but not the details of it.

I was going to suggest a spear for the odin connection that Pythagoras already mentioned. Hmmmm.... I would suggest focusing less on what the symbol itself is as what it means. The meaning of the cross is pretty common knowledge so I don't really think it needs to be repeated here, but in addition to something like the cross you could have some symbol representing one of the key lessons of the religion, or a particularly important belief. For instance, a religion that features a coming golden age might have a sun rise for a symbol.

Totally agree with this, but I think that with a cool symbol I would be able to hammer out some good things. For example the spear, which I am now leaning against, is kind of the thing which would allow me to keep pretty close with Christianity and thus give me what I am looking for.

Hi,

I was going to suggest the fish like Ireth as well. It is one of the oldest icons for Christianity around - though while I've also heard the translation theory for why its used, the one I favour is the simpler one that its related to a biblical story. Jesus said to James (I think - it's a long time since I went to Sunday school) Come and I shall make you a fisher of men.

However this site may give you more to work with.

Christian Symbols - ReligionFacts

Cheers, Greg.

The links looks good. Will take a look after some good things.

Gurkhal

Auror
Ok, after some searching and thinking on the issues I have decided that I will use the spear as the great symbol, while mace, lightening, rain, scale, lamb, shepherd's staff etc. are other symbols that are in use.

robosnake

It might be worth considering what stage of development the 'Christianity' of your setting is in. Over time the primary symbols have changed, as discussed, from the first things like the anchor and fish to later the cross, and then even the sword. A lot was also borrowed from late Roman political symbols - for example, the dress of Bishops after the conversion of Constantine, and some of the terminology. Anyway, you seem to already be thinking about historical development for the various societies in this setting - just something else to throw into the mix.