• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sufficiently dragonlike motivations

rktho

Troubadour
I'm writing a story about dragons who live in cities and villages. The problem is, these dragons come off as very human. I need to make their motivations and personalities more dragonlike.

(Note: my dragons are bipedal, much like humans, and have five fingers, but the physical resemblance ends there. They're about twice as large as humans without accounting for horns, wings and tail. So picture them around twelve feet tall on average.)

Here are my characters:

Zarakharn, my chief antagonist, is the emperor of Khriza. He is a wizard, but this is a secret. (Dragons in this age don't believe in magic.) The magic order to, called the Kenshi, which he belongs seeks to collect a set of powerful blades that will grant them omnipotence. As the only living member of this ancient cult, Zarakharn must achieve this by himself, with the assistance of his mentor, the spirit of the Kenshi's founder. Zarakharn is outnumbered but not outmatched by the Shazarians, another secret and once-powerful and respected wizard sect that seek to protect the blades of power from dragons like the Kenshi. Zarakharn anticipates the possibility that the Khrizan lifespan of two hundred years may not be a sufficiently long time to gain the power he lusts after, so he has created a life crystal, which keeps him at the age when he created it, meaning he is around a hundred and sixty years old, but with the body of a sixty year old dragon (Khrizans age about half as fast as humans, so think a thirty year old with twice the experience, or in Zarakharn's case, 3.3 times the experience.) When he learns that a professional thief has acquired one of the blades of power, Zarakharn summons him in order to purchase it from him. But it's a trap-- the thief was hired by the Shazarians, and given the blade to lure Zarakharn to him so the thief could steal the crystal. The thief loses the crystal, and fearing the Shazarians' retribution, seeks refuge with a crime lord he does business with, only to be betrayed to Zarakharn. Under interrogation, the thief reveals that he was hired by someone belonging to the elite police. Zarakharn kills him in a rage before he can learn more (not that there was, because the thief was kept mostly in the dark) as he realizes there is a Shazarian spy in the highest level of the police force. Having put out a reward for the crystal's return, he resolves not to wait around for someone to bring it to him and goes after it himself. Zarakharn's personality and motives are already fairly dragonlike. I don't need help with him.

Ginzaekh is an adolescent dragon of thirty-four who lives in a humble village. They moved there when his father was killed in a blacksmith accident and his family could no longer afford to live in a nicer area. Ginzaekh provides for his family by hunting, which he does with his two best friends, Ash and Gazi. Ginzaekh and his friends are the ones who find the crystal, and jump at the chance to lift Ginzaekh's family out of poverty. They must fly cautiously, however, because nearly everyone in the land is willing to kill for the crystal's reward. Ginzaekh is very protective of his friends, who see him as a leader. The three of them work so well together that they are almost a hive mind.

Ash is the lancer of Ginzaekh's trio-- though he doesn't think ahead very realistically, his sarcastic wit demonstrates that he has a very clear grasp of whatever is happening in the moment. He never passes up a good meal or the opportunity to come into more money, but his friends always come first.

Gazi is the third prong in Ginzaekh's two-pronged attack-- the surprise huntress that swoops in when the prey is just beginning to think it's evaded the dragons' grasp. Gazi never does anything if she doesn't know all the risks, but as long as she knows them, no risk is so high that she's afraid to take it. Which is why the fact that any stranger or even ally might stab them in the back for the crystal doesn't faze her, but telling Ginzaekh how she feels about him does.

Kharrin is the chief inquisitor. The Shazarian spy is under his command. Kharrin is resentful of Zarakharn's contempt for him, so when Zarakharn tells him there is a traitor in his midst, Kharrin is eager to discover the spy so he can win Zarakharn's respect. But on top of the spy, he has to search for the crystal (a task he can no longer entrust to his usual resources) and capture a recently resurfaced terrorist named Sar Argandi, so he entrusts the task of finding the spy to his most trusted operative, a tracker named Vazared, who is currently searching for Sar. Vazared insists on taking on both tasks at once, leaving Kharrin to devote his full attention to the crystal. Kharrin uses his backup network to discover information on the crystal's whereabouts. Kharrin is also very dragonlike already.

Vazared is Kharrin's head tracker. A family man, he has two sons (who are following in his footsteps) and a daughter. He's away from home a lot. He's also a Shazarian-- the one who hired the thief to steal the crystal, in fact. But normally, Kharrin's trust in him isn't misplaced-- the two are old friends and Vazared is genuinely loyal to him and the police. And Vazared really does want to bring Sar Argandi in-- because he's a rogue Shazarian who escaped the capture of his fellow Shazarians, and he's not afraid to use magic in public or kill anyone, making him a danger to all the other characters. Vazared wants Zarakharn dead, but doesn't want Sar to kill Kharrin or any other dragons. Also, Vazared refuses to select a scapegoat to cover up his treason, instead opting to stall for as long as possible until the crystal can be destroyed.

Nat is Ginzaekh's uncle. He lives just a city over from Ginzaekh, where Ginzaekh used to live, but he didn't live there when Ginzaekh did. Nat has a love of exotic places and has spent a good portion of his parental life outside of Khriza. Nat comes off as eccentric, but that's due to the fact that he's a Shazarian, like his brother and father, who were murdered by Zarakharn (and not, as his nephew believes, killed in a blacksmith accident.) Nat lost his mother at a young age and his father became a wanted fugitive for avenging her death. He doesn't want his youngest son, Davard, to learn of the Shazarian-Kenshi conflict until he's old enough. His elder son Khazardi is a wizard-in-training, having recently been deemed ready to know the truth. Nat lives in the same town as Vazared's family and Khazardi is training with Vazared's sons to join the police force. No deception is too great for Nat if it means protecting his loved ones. When he tries to destroy the crystal, turning Ginzaekh against him, he proceeds to stalk Ginzaekh in disguise under the name Assirratan, protecting him from harm and waiting for the right moment to steal the crystal so it can be destroyed.

Davard is Nat's son who joins Ginzaekh's company on their quest. Unlike Nat, he is proven to be trustworthy. Dav is a very unusual dragon, a neuroatypical, socially awkward but creatively brilliant specimen. Due to the amount of travelling his family has done, Dav speaks two foreign languages and the ancient precursor to his own. Dav is motivated by adventure more than wealth. He is very close to Vazared and his family and has unrequited feelings for Vazared's daughter. He bonds quickly with Gazi, who seems to understand him in a way few others do. Dav knows his way around very well and his know-how is key in helping the group secure affordable lodgings and finding dragons they can trust.

Droka is one of Kharrin's non-police contacts. He's also a non-Khrizan, a Vrakardian, which means he's three feet shorter than everyone around him and built like a raptor, and on the receiving end of a lot of bigotry. He's the one who discovers Ginzaekh has the crystal. He's not willing to kill to get the job done, but he figures if he does his job right, he won't have to. Technically, Zarakharn's orders are to not interfere with anyone attempting to return the crystal, but Kharrin has other plans and he's willing to let Droka have the reward and then some if Droka takes the crystal from them and brings it to Kharrin, and Droka doesn't care about another species' emperor.

Sar Argandi is a Shazarian. He was born with the deformity of having stubs for wings, so he has become very powerful in magic to compensate. Zarakharn tried to have Sar's daughter imprisoned so he could use her as leverage, but Kharrin's men slipped up and killed her instead. In revenge, Sar killed every one of them except one who escaped. The Shazarians captured him and imprisoned him, and Sar vanished. When the thief did not return with the crystal, Sar broke out to seek revenge on the thief and on Kharrin and Zarakharn. The public simply sees Sar as a dangerous murderer, though his unconcealed displays of magical power show otherwise.

Those are my major players. Right now my story feels very human and I need to justify the dragonness of the characters.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Why did you choose for them to be dragons in the first place? These do all sound like human motivations. There is nothing in here that sounds 'dragon-ish' to me. So what was the motivating factor for you to make them dragons?

Maybe, another way to look at this, would be to give them specific, dragon specific flaws? Like, how Dusty Crophopper is afraid of heights, which is a pretty serious flaw for an airplane... what sort of serious flaws would a dragon have that could be specific to dragons?

rktho

Troubadour
Why did you choose for them to be dragons in the first place? These do all sound like human motivations. There is nothing in here that sounds 'dragon-ish' to me. So what was the motivating factor for you to make them dragons?
That is a very good question. I wanted my story to stand out, and using non-humans appealed to me and gave me room to develop a unique culture. But if I used a dragon substitute, people would say, "Well, these creatures can breathe fire and fly and have tails and horns, why aren't they just called dragons?" and if I just used humans, they would say, "Why are the names all weird? Why can they fly and breathe fire if they don't know what magic is?"

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Ok, I added a bit more to my post above about maybe looking at flaws instead of motivations. You mention that the protagonist is forced to hunt to provide food for his family. I assume they hunt in the traditional "dragon" way, by flying around and breathing fire on stuff... what if he is unable to do this, for some reason? What if the chief protagonist has a problem with his fire, and so can't hunt in the traditional way. He has to find other ways of killing his prey, and he is sort of stigmatized for it? It's cliche, but it is an example of how you could focus on the character's flaws to justify the 'dragon-ness.'

rktho

Troubadour
Ok, I added a bit more to my post above about maybe looking at flaws instead of motivations. You mention that the protagonist is forced to hunt to provide food for his family. I assume they hunt in the traditional "dragon" way, by flying around and breathing fire on stuff... what if he is unable to do this, for some reason? What if the chief protagonist has a problem with his fire, and so can't hunt in the traditional way. He has to find other ways of killing his prey, and he is sort of stigmatized for it? It's cliche, but it is an example of how you could focus on the character's flaws to justify the 'dragon-ness.'
That's a VERY good idea! I already have a wingless character. Why not one who can't breathe fire? I think you've struck gold here. Now, what should be the reason he can't breathe fire? Just a birth defect, or something a little more purposeful?

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
It could be a birth defect, or his fire gland was destroyed somehow... maybe he was there for his father's blacksmith accident and he almost died with his father. He survived, but he was left permanently damaged... something like that.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
For each character I would do a quick longline summing up their motivations and flaws, trying to justify the dragon-ness.

Ginzaekh, a fireless dragon, dreams of pulling his family out of poverty and starvation. When he finds a magic crystal that could do just that he is stoked to claim its reward. But he must fly cautiously. Nearly everyone is willing to kill for the crystal, and in a world where fire is life, a fireless dragon has little chance of survival.

Meh. Whatever. But you get the idea.

Then move on to the next character and try to find a way to justify their dragon-ness.

Zarakharn, the emperor of Khriza, hopes to the crush Elvenkind's thirst for Dragon blood. In order to gain omnipotence and save his Empire, he seeks a set of powerful blades. But he is not the only one who wants them. Desperate to beat a rival group, Zarakham creates a life crystal to keep himself alive until the blades can be found. But, when he falls into a trap, the crystal is lost. Can Zarakham find the crystal and the blades and stop the Elves before his Empire is destroyed forever?

Note, for the antagonist, I purposely gave him another, NON DRAGON enemy. The reason I did this was to bring to light the importance of the dragon-ness of the character, and set them apart as 'other.' This way, they are not just human substitutes. You could say that dragon blood holds medicinal properties for elves, or something like that, and they have been mass hunted for years. Zarakharn can still be a bad guy, but he believes that what he is doing is right. His fear of the Elves has driven him to make terrible choices, and the power has gone to his head.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Every dragon in Khriza understands the value of treasure, except for Ash. If he can't eat it, he doesn't want it. Criticized for his disinterest in Khriza's most important commodity, Ash dreams of a day when his family understands there is more to life than gold.

OMG, I'm having so much fun with this! Ha! I'm so sorry I've commandeered your story. lol.

rktho

Troubadour
For each character I would do a quick longline summing up their motivations and flaws, trying to justify the dragon-ness.

Ginzaekh, a fireless dragon, dreams of pulling his family out of poverty and starvation. When he finds a magic crystal that could do just that he is stoked to claim its reward. But he must fly cautiously. Nearly everyone is willing to kill for the crystal, and in a world where fire is life, a fireless dragon has little chance of survival.

Meh. Whatever. But you get the idea.

Then move on to the next character and try to find a way to justify their dragon-ness.

Zarakharn, the emperor of Khriza, hopes to the crush Elvenkind's thirst for Dragon blood. In order to gain omnipotence and save his Empire, he seeks a set of powerful blades. But he is not the only one who wants them. Desperate to beat a rival group, Zarakham creates a life crystal to keep himself alive until the blades can be found. But, when he falls into a trap, the crystal is lost. Can Zarakham find the crystal and the blades and stop the Elves before his Empire is destroyed forever?

Note, for the antagonist, I purposely gave him another, NON DRAGON enemy. The reason I did this was to bring to light the importance of the dragon-ness of the character, and set them apart as 'other.' This way, they are not just human substitutes. You could say that dragon blood holds medicinal properties for elves, or something like that, and they have been mass hunted for years. Zarakharn can still be a bad guy, but he believes that what he is doing is right. His fear of the Elves has driven him to make terrible choices, and the power has gone to his head.
Well, Zarakharn is the amoral type of villain who does care much for right and wrong. But that’s not to say the order he serves can’t have a noble goal that Zarakharn can pretend to care about. There are other dimensions at play in my story, and it’s feasible that a real or perceived threat could come from one of them. But I would need a reason the Shazarians don’t side with the Kenshi I’m facing said threat if it’s so great. Perhaps the Shazarians could believe the purported threat is actually peaceful, and oppose a preemptive strike to avoid committing genocide. I like where this is going.

rktho

Troubadour
Every dragon in Khriza understands the value of treasure, except for Ash. If he can't eat it, he doesn't want it. Criticized for his disinterest in Khriza's most important commodity, Ash dreams of a day when his family understands there is more to life than gold.

OMG, I'm having so much fun with this! Ha! I'm so sorry I've commandeered your story. lol.
Took me a moment to realize you weren't being serious, haha. But actually, it's not too far off; ostensibly, the crystal is worth much less than the reward attached to it. But most of Khriza doesn't know it's the reason their emperor is still breathing.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I was just playing with stereotypes. Dragons are known treasure hoarders. I was playing with that. A dragon who had no interest in treasure. Only food and quality family time.

rktho

Troubadour
I like that too. I'm just trying to find ways to make it specifically Dragon-esque.
And you've been a great help. I've been thinking about this in a completely different way and it didn't occur to me how much a defect could justify the dragon-ness of the characters.

Corwynn

Troubadour
I was just playing with stereotypes. Dragons are known treasure hoarders. I was playing with that. A dragon who had no interest in treasure. Only food and quality family time.

I had an idea a while back about a world ruled by dragons. Dragons have a compulsive desire to acquire things, with each dragon having a hoard that is the source of their power and respect. However, these hoards can take many forms. Some go for the classics, such amassing wealth in the form of jewels and precious metals, or keeping a harem of beautiful maidens. Others go after more esoteric concepts. Some gather power by building armies, acquiring powerful weapons, or getting involved in politics. Some hoard knowledge by building a vast library of obscure lore, and learning as much as they can. Still others build up a larder stocked with the finest and rarest of food and drink from around the world, upon which they and their guests may feast at their leisure.

What sort of hoard do your characters seek to build?

rktho

Troubadour
I had an idea a while back about a world ruled by dragons. Dragons have a compulsive desire to acquire things, with each dragon having a hoard that is the source of their power and respect. However, these hoards can take many forms. Some go for the classics, such amassing wealth in the form of jewels and precious metals, or keeping a harem of beautiful maidens. Others go after more esoteric concepts. Some gather power by building armies, acquiring powerful weapons, or getting involved in politics. Some hoard knowledge by building a vast library of obscure lore, and learning as much as they can. Still others build up a larder stocked with the finest and rarest of food and drink from around the world, upon which they and their guests may feast at their leisure.

Good question. I think the Shazarians, as protectors, would eschew a hoard in favor of keeping the wrong sorts of hoards from being amassed by the wrong people. This would limit its membership as it would require sacrifice that is contrary to dragon nature, and there would be even more reason for a splinter wizard group to emerge as its antithesis.

But as Heliotrope pointed out, Ash, at least, would probably hoard food.

Firefly

Troubadour

Jessica Day George did so merging like this in her Dragon Slippers trilogy. There was a dragon who collected stained glass, there was one who collected food. My favorite was the one that collected dogs. Very entertaining.
It's an interesting take on the mythology.