• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sunless Sea

Gryphos

Auror
I've been playing a neat little game for the past few days, which as the thread title suggests, is called Sunless Sea.

It's difficult to describe. Kind of a narratively driven adventure game with the truly brilliantly imaginative setting of Fallen London. Basically, London has been stolen by bats and taken to the Unterzee, an ocean in a chasm in the depths of the earth. There's steampunk, there's gothic, there's eldritch monstrosities, everything I (personally) love!

As for the gameplay, it involves taking your ship out onto the zee (it's not really the sea, it's the zee — they even call sailors 'zailors') and exploring the dangerous and horrific world, before returning to port in Fallen London. It manages to invoke fear really well with aspects of worry and resource management with regards to fuel and resources. But the highlight of the game has to be the writing. Truly immersive and entertaining in its description of characters and events.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I played this for a bit when it was still in early release and absolutely loved the atmosphere and art style in it. I didn't quite get into it - probably because it still wasn't finished, but I'm definitely going to go back to it for another look at some point.

Gryphos

Auror
I played this for a bit when it was still in early release and absolutely loved the atmosphere and art style in it. I didn't quite get into it - probably because it still wasn't finished, but I'm definitely going to go back to it for another look at some point.

Yeah, you should totally give it another try. I will admit it's not for everyone. If you don't mind long stretches of just sailing across open expanses of water on long journeys, then you shouldn't have a problem.