• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The AHA moment

I've written about this a few times as part of an incidental response to the posts of others, but I've had a request to explain it again so it seemed like a good idea to start a thread called the AHA! moment - the moment (if it's ever happened for you) when you realised you had an absolute killer idea for a story. One that couldn't fail.

For me it was really the culmination of a lot of things - mainly the dramatic improvement in my writing and storytelling ability which had occurred between writing my first two books. They had both generated a fair bit of interest from publishers and agents, but no-one had been quite convinced to take them on. The second story, in particular, went agonisingly close a couple of times. A commissioning editor at a mid-sized publishing house loved it and tried to get it up but (as he admitted) I wasn't already famous so they didn't want to take a risk on me. (He even admitted the company had started approaching celebrities to ask them to write something...anything...just to cash in on their names. Leaving less and less room for the undiscovered. But he encouraged me to continue and to make sure I sent him my next thing.

As you can imagine, I was pretty depressed after that. It seemed like there was no way out of the slush pile for the non-famous. The best way for me to attract the interest of publishers was to become a serial killer...or axe murder the prime minister!

I even gave up on writing for a little while, but when I restarted it wasn't a novel. I decided to have a go at writing a screenplay - much quicker to write, so less need to pour so many thousands of hours into an ultimately fruitless exercise. (As you can see, cynical, but still cursed with THE URGE to write.

I rattled off three screenplays and a stage play over the next two or three years and it taught me a lot. I knew that I already had strong original ideas and could tell an original story. Screenplay writing added the discipline of scene crafting, very strong dialogue (there is no wasted dialogue in my work these days) and a sense of the mechanics of storytelling that had never really occurred to me previously. One of my screenplays was even optioned by a producer, but has not yet been made despite numerous meetings with a keen (and quite famous in Australia) director. I gather there's nothing more common than an unmade optioned film.

What I realised by now was that I was actually quite skilled at writing/storytelling - I just needed to tell the right story. The story that was so strong it couldn't be ignored. And here was the AHA! moment: it finally occurred to me...what if I write a story actually targeted at a particular audience?

Believe it or not, that had never happened before. My writing had always happened in a fairly idiosyncratic and personal vacuum, which I really loved, but not enough other people did - even though some professionals could sense its quality. My stories were just too obscure and demanded too much of the reader. My simpler and more commercial approach, learned writing screenplays, was now turned to writing a novel.

I knew also that I already had the story too. For some years, I'd been idly jotting down bits and pieces for a comic tale about a 39 year old park level goalkeeper in Australia who decides to chase an impossible dream in England. He winds up having all sorts of amazing adventures with vicious hooligans, international terrorists and winds up playing for a non-league side in London who are a legitimate business front for the Irish mafia. The team go on a bit of a run in the FA Cup and all the various threads come together in a pretty amazing climax.

I'd never really taken the ideas that seriously, because I was a serious writer, but I suddenly realised that this was a seriously good idea and the football public would probably really like it.

The story was so strong it wrote itself, and when I sent it to the fellow who had championed my cause in the past he told me he was just doing non-fiction at that time, but I should send it to X at Y publishing house. So I sent an exploratory email to X and was gobsmacked when 20 minutes later the phone rang. It was X and he was really interested in seeing my ms. That was a Monday morning, and by Friday afternoon he had read it and told me he definitely wanted to publish it.

It took another 18 months and numerous editing phases but in April 2010 I was doing a reading at a launch for the first time and in a rosy-blurred daze of joy. While signing numerous copies that night, someone asked me: was it hard to get published? And I thought, no, it was bloody easy. If you have the right product, it's easy to get published. If you don't, it's impossible.

Of course, getting the right product is hard...unless you're an axe-wielding celebrity.

Does anyone else have an AHA! moment worth sharing?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I wish I did. To date, my biggest success was when I sent out my second query letter, and an agent asked for a partial manuscript a few days later. I probably botched the submission both in post length and in rawness of the manuscript, but I learned a valuable lesson... don't treat every query as an automatic "no". Someone might actually want to see it, and you can't count yourself out before you try, so be prepared to put your best foot forward if you receive a "yes".

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Why would you treat a query as an automatic no? A query is a possible yes and your duty is to turn it into a definite yes.

Another insight I've had, while writing the book I just recently finished - which I really hope is going to be the big one - is this...

Every chapter, every page, every sentence, every word...is another opportunity for you to engage and entertain the reader. At any moment they could put the book down - even if it's just to answer the telephone - and maybe they'll never pick it up again. Your mission is to so engage the reader that a publisher/agent reading your work will feel a flash of irritation if the phone rings.

Some people feel this attitutde is cynical but I make no apology. Readers have buttons. Learn how to press them Don't just passively write a story - use the story as an implement to make the reader gasp and shout, cringe and cry, laugh and love with every twist of the plot.

Never lose sight of that, and you'll soon see your name on bookshop shelves.

I've had a number of AHA! moments, but I don't think they're worth sharing, because I don't think the AHA! moments are particularly important. In fact, AHA! moments are relatively easy to come across; it's turning that brilliant idea into a fully-fleshed, thoroughly-developed piece of fiction that's the hard part. Hell, there are highly entertaining books out there that aren't based on some killer premise; they're just really well-done. I just recently read John Scalzi's book Fuzzy Nation, the premise of which is not especially amazing (guy prospecting on distant planet discovers sapient indigenes), but it's executed so well and with such panache that it's highly enjoyable.

In this sense, the AHA! moment is not a brilliant idea for a premise or unusual plot point...it's a personal epiphany regarding some aspect of writing/publishing that suddenly made the road ahead seem a lot clearer and easier. All of a sudden you just know that you can get something published.

gavintonks

Maester
Your story is great well done, I really feel for you.
I had a piece accepted for a national weekend newspaper and they even commissioned a cartoonist to draw a picture, which was also great after a long struggle and submitting pieces these are in my day job line of mentoring small business.Was a big rush to open the paper and there is your work covering 3/4 of the page.

A new magazine gave me a one page in their print, which was also great not being a journalist or really any prior writing ability coming from the art and design side.
I did share a similar moment when I was renovating a house for a famous pop star and there set designer fell through, we stepped in and helped and the music label commissioned a dvd of his children's stuff which we[wife and I and his wife] did the animation for 15 days of seriously hard work, and the dvd was nominated and won a music award. Someone asked how long you been animating, my answer since last week Wednesday.

Seriously good luck and I hope this is going to lead to many more and possibly the publication of your previous books as well

Hi,

Slightly off target, but Fuzzy Nation? Isn't that in the same series as Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens, which are H Beam Pipers'? However I agree with you, they were enjoyable reads.

Cheers Greg.

Hi,

Slightly off target, but Fuzzy Nation? Isn't that in the same series as Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens, which are H Beam Pipers'? However I agree with you, they were enjoyable reads.

Cheers Greg.

According to the preface, Fuzzy Nation is a "reimagining" of Little Fuzzy. I'm assuming Scalzi got Piper's (or Piper's estate's) permission, since it might be copyright infringement if not.

Dan Latham

Minstrel
Each time something is published, I have an AHA moment. Mind you, currently they are a short story in an anthology(Dead Robot's Society Explorers: Beyond the Horizon if anyone is interested), a poem in an online magazine, and a reading of an essay on a local public radio station.

When I self-published a novella, I told myself that I will be happy if just one person pays $2.99 to read my book. As of yesterday, four people bought it on Amazon. I suspect one of them is my mom.

None of this is earth-shattering, but it makes me realize I might make a go of this writing business if I keep plugging away.