1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Crystal Spear

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by Snikt5, Jul 7, 2019.

Does the cover grab your attention?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Is that a wand?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Snikt5

Snikt5 Dreamer

Good morning all,

Please would you be so kind as to provide your honest opinions on the following fantasy cover please? The Crystal Spear is an ancient mythical weapon with unique powers.

Attached Files:

2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Is there meant to be some writing in the background? It's unreadable, almost like a watermark.

3. Snikt5

Snikt5 Dreamer

It is a watermark. Before I approved the draft

4. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

The design isn't too bad but the artwork itself looks clumsy and murky and a bit amateurish. And why is 'Book One' so tiny?

Chessie2 likes this.
  5. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I like the design generally. I agree, "Book One" is in a font with lines that are too thin, letters too narrow.

I did select "Yes" in the poll above, simply because I like the design.

I'm not sure the dead body below is needed, although I do think having some character present might be good. Perhaps someone just discovering it, or reaching for it, with a look of awe on his/her face? I'm not sure.

6. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Ideally you might consider working with a cover artist to help you visually reach your target audience.

Off hand though, your titles/fonts can be improved. For font get it similar to other books in your (sub)genre. I would consider moving the title to middle position and enlarge it so it is more visible to your reader. Enlarge the font for author. You really want your name out there.

7. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Minstrel

It didn't really grab me, to be honest. But there are things I like about this. The colours work well for me. I think it needs a little more, but I'm not sure of what.

8. Snikt5

Snikt5 Dreamer

Thanks all, very useful feedback. Appreciate it.