• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Narrative Debacle I face

Hi,

As others have said it seems you've ended up world building and not writing. That's what you have to stop. I would suggest trying something completely new. Give Alphal a rest. Put it away completely. Now think of a person, a place and a situation. In essence a scene. Then write it. Once you've written it, start asking questions. Why is person X in location Y and situation Z? Answer those questions and then add them to your story. In that way you start to build a story. And that's what you need to do.

This is free writing - or pantsting as everyone seems to call it including me. And while most people can't or won't write a novel this way it's an excellent way to get started on your writing. And that's what you need to do. You can't go back to Alphal because you'll just end up continuing your world building.

One suggestion to get you started. There was a contest here some time ago which was awesomely interesting. The JimButcher challenge. Everyone got together to brainwave up some stupid ideas, and then the challenge was to write a story based on two of them. I chose from memory Lucifer in therapy and the world's most inept doctor. I'd suggest going through this fora, finding the threads, picking two ideas that interest you, and starting work. Give yourself a couple of days or a week, see where your work is going, then put it up here in the critiques section when its close enough to ready.

Cheers, Greg.