• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The oaken door swung open with a bang, and a man walked in..

Hail to you all,

Happy to be here and wanting to share and learn as much from senior, experienced writers as well as exchange tips and ideas with other fellow aspired writers..

I came from a military background. Was a soldier for many years and now I work as a technician with a diving company. I wasn't a book person in the past and I had really lousy grades for my english. I didn't get a good education background cause I was playing all the time, when I was younger.

I came to love books, especially fantasy books, when I started my work. There are many spare time that I can read a book. So I started reading to kill time at first, but fell in love. Started with Dan Brown's books from recommendations by friends and did a few conspiracy themed books. Modern stuffs. And done some military fiction books.. But I truly love fantasy.. Done Lord of the Rings and love it big time. Just completed the 4 books of George R.R Martin's Game of Thrones and the others.. Going to get A Dance with Dragons soon..

I thought of trying to write a book myself. I love fantasy and would like to throw in some of my own imagination and style.

Currently, I'm thinking of writing a book, that talks about morals and values that are somewhere in the grey area of life. Like loyalty, and friendship, kinship. Yet, I want to be ambitious.. I want to throw in my other things, like massive war and battles, and lots of politics strifes and struggles..

Do give me some feedbacks when I start posting stuffs on..:)

Thanks and have a great day ahead!!

Oh, if you do want to add me in Facebook, just pvt message me.. :)

Chilari

Staff
Welcome to the Scriptorium. You've come to the right place for advice and discussion on fantasy. Jump right into discussions if you find something that interests you.

Aidan looked up from his book, and beckoned the newcomer to a chair...

Welcome to the Scribes, I already like the sound of your book. I think the grey area is a fascinating place to explore, and indeed a good tool to test who our characters really are. I think you will like it here, please feel free to participate.

David Ivanov

Minstrel
Godzilax, I'm a fellow new guy, but also a fellow veteran (U.S. Army 1985-93) and diver. Something tells me we're going to get along just fine.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome. We're a fun bunch and always willing to help someone out, so feel free to post anything you want and let us know what kind of feedback you're looking for.

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Welcome to Scribes! Like Aidan, I also like the sound of your book - the gray areas fascinate me far more than the cut and dry alignments do. It'll be nice to see what you have sometime. ^^

David: Great to have another soldier in the midst. I was in the Army of Singapore for 7 years. Special forces. :)

SeleneHime and Aidan: Thanks a lot! This encourage me a lot. I am trying to make the characters of the story. Currently, I'm on the idea of a prince who is a bastard of the Emperor. His father(The Emperor) brought him to the palace after the mother died of a plague. The tensions started because of the jealous and power crazed queen, who feared that this boy will one day take over the throne. But, the emperor declare to everyone in his court, that this boy will never be a king, hoping to save this boy from politics and backstabbing.

However, this boy prince joined the military because the war was still going on, so he entered the military and because of his humble attitude and his eagerness to learn, he performed splendidly and became a favorite in the military. And the peasants loved him greatly.

Then, things happened, and he must be removed because the Emperor died suddenly, and he seems to be the obvious choice, and the queen started to do some stuffs to remove him..

The story will shape around him and his companions.. how they fight and how they overcome obstacles.. of course there will be some twists and turns of the story... To make it all the more interested.. :)

I'm still adding details and stuffs inside. And I am also thinking if i want to set this up in a medieval period, or around the industrialization period, where there are trains and rifles.. still thinking.. And I will fit in magic in the story..

David: Great to have another soldier in the midst. I was in the Army of Singapore for 7 years. Special forces. :)

SeleneHime and Aidan: Thanks a lot! This encourage me a lot. I am trying to make the characters of the story. Currently, I'm on the idea of a prince who is a bastard of the Emperor. His father(The Emperor) brought him to the palace after the mother died of a plague. The tensions started because of the jealous and power crazed queen, who feared that this boy will one day take over the throne. But, the emperor declare to everyone in his court, that this boy will never be a king, hoping to save this boy from politics and backstabbing.

However, this boy prince joined the military because the war was still going on, so he entered the military and because of his humble attitude and his eagerness to learn, he performed splendidly and became a favorite in the military. And the peasants loved him greatly.

Then, things happened, and he must be removed because the Emperor died suddenly, and he seems to be the obvious choice, and the queen started to do some stuffs to remove him..

The story will shape around him and his companions.. how they fight and how they overcome obstacles.. of course there will be some twists and turns of the story... To make it all the more interested.. :)

I'm still adding details and stuffs inside. And I am also thinking if i want to set this up in a medieval period, or around the industrialization period, where there are trains and rifles.. still thinking.. And I will fit in magic in the story..

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Hmm. Do you want to set up an actual thread for this? There is a lot going on beneath the surface here, and I have quite a few questions. ^^

When I am actually free. I'm currently working offshore and the internet speed is probably as fast as a snail.. So I'll get it up after I finish work and reach land..