• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Primordial Planes

xlarge

Ok, this is a BIG work in progress, but I think I may have figured out the basic concepts of the Primordial Planes. If I get these right, they can be used to explain the mechanics of a lot of things in my overall setting, from the strictly fantasy universes to the universes that are a science fantasy to the ones that are mostly science fiction with a dash of magic and the supernatural. To be clear, these Planes are found along the Equatorial Band of the Cosmic Sphere, which is best explained by this diagram:

xlarge

The goal with the Primordial Planes is to set things up so that the "sandbox" I'm working to create for not only me but other storytellers who join me in this project will have an explanation for where certain exotic materials originate and how they work in all the different settings. For example, Phlogiston can be used to explain the miniature suns on the Transitory Planes, to create Alchemist's Fire on fantasy Planes, and as fuel for starships on the science fantasy or science fiction Planes. Quintessence would be used in Nutrient Tonics or Stim Packs. The point is VERSATILITY. Heck, this stuff could explain how some Superheroes would work if there's a Plane where things are more like what you see in classic comic books.

As stated, my goal is to create a sandbox where other writers can join me in using this overall setting to tell stories. The Primordial Planes, in addition to the Energy Planes, would account for where exotic materials and magic powers originate. They might work a bit differently on different Planes, but would always have the same basic core mechanics behind them. The denizens of various Planes might not be aware of the existence of the Primordial Planes, however. But it would still provide an explanation for THE AUDIENCE on how all this stuff works while also opening the door for crossover stories & events. The materials on the Primordial Planes would manifest on other Planes through a sort of "Cosmic Osmosis." They could also be conjured with magic or the right technology. But it's all from the same sources, even if the characters aren't aware of this.

So, a quick run-down of these Primordial Substances:

Xirang (working name): This is similar to Proto-Matter in that it can take on many forms, but it's how both Arcane & Psionic materials come into existence. Xirang can self-replicate, which is why magic gemstones can grow perpetually.

Azoth: This liquid is used in all sorts of Healing Potions, Remedies, Anti-Toxins, & Med Packs. It is easily modified for specific applications, though this requires the right knowledge & tools, or it's pretty useless on its own. It must be COMBINED with other things to work.

Bioplasm/Archaeus: This stuff is the "clay" the gods used to create organic life. It's universal stem cells, in essence, which can be used to reattach limbs, create Homunculi, or regrow damaged organs. Again, a lot of skill & knowledge is required to use it properly.

Quintessence: The main substance in the sap of the World Tree, this liquid is a biological catalyst that provides nutritional materials for organic lifeforms. It is used to make stuff along the lines of Lembas Bread, Nutrient Tonics, and Food Pills. IT MUST BE DILUTED TO USE SAFELY.

Proto-Matter/Yliastrum: This is the raw material the gods used to make all physical matter. It is how the Echo Planes replicate geology, artificial structures, and manufactured objects, as well as being used in Conjuration Spells and by material replicators. It can become anything, with the right skill, knowledge, and tools.

Phlogiston: From miniature suns to Alchemist's Fire to fuel for starships, if it involves combustion, Phlogiston is how it's done. This stuff is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS & even a tiny amount can be incredibly destructive if mishandled. USE WITH CARE.

Gravitium: On Planes where gravity normally doesn't exist, Gravitium provides it. On Planes where it is present, Gravitium provides anti-gravity. From floating castles to gravity plating on starships, this material is quite versatile, if handled correctly.

Voltriston (working name): The electrical equivalent of Phlogiston, Voltriston is how Alchemist's Shock and Power Cells are made. From magical weapons to batteries, Voltriston has tons of uses but must be handled with extreme care for obvious reasons.

And that's what I have so far with the Primordial Planes. What do you guys think? Do you have alternative or additional suggestions? Remember, some Planes can overlap, so while there are only eight slots, more than one Plane can go in a slot. Please, share your thoughts!

xlarge

Ok, this is a BIG work in progress, but I think I may have figured out the basic concepts of the Primordial Planes. If I get these right, they can be used to explain the mechanics of a lot of things in my overall setting, from the strictly fantasy universes to the universes that are a science fantasy to the ones that are mostly science fiction with a dash of magic and the supernatural. To be clear, these Planes are found along the Equatorial Band of the Cosmic Sphere, which is best explained by this diagram:

xlarge

The goal with the Primordial Planes is to set things up so that the "sandbox" I'm working to create for not only me but other storytellers who join me in this project will have an explanation for where certain exotic materials originate and how they work in all the different settings. For example, Phlogiston can be used to explain the miniature suns on the Transitory Planes, to create Alchemist's Fire on fantasy Planes, and as fuel for starships on the science fantasy or science fiction Planes. Quintessence would be used in Nutrient Tonics or Stim Packs. The point is VERSATILITY. Heck, this stuff could explain how some Superheroes would work if there's a Plane where things are more like what you see in classic comic books.

As stated, my goal is to create a sandbox where other writers can join me in using this overall setting to tell stories. The Primordial Planes, in addition to the Energy Planes, would account for where exotic materials and magic powers originate. They might work a bit differently on different Planes, but would always have the same basic core mechanics behind them. The denizens of various Planes might not be aware of the existence of the Primordial Planes, however. But it would still provide an explanation for THE AUDIENCE on how all this stuff works while also opening the door for crossover stories & events. The materials on the Primordial Planes would manifest on other Planes through a sort of "Cosmic Osmosis." They could also be conjured with magic or the right technology. But it's all from the same sources, even if the characters aren't aware of this.

So, a quick run-down of these Primordial Substances:

Xirang (working name): This is similar to Proto-Matter in that it can take on many forms, but it's how both Arcane & Psionic materials come into existence. Xirang can self-replicate, which is why magic gemstones can grow perpetually.

Azoth: This liquid is used in all sorts of Healing Potions, Remedies, Anti-Toxins, & Med Packs. It is easily modified for specific applications, though this requires the right knowledge & tools, or it's pretty useless on its own. It must be COMBINED with other things to work.

Bioplasm/Archaeus: This stuff is the "clay" the gods used to create organic life. It's universal stem cells, in essence, which can be used to reattach limbs, create Homunculi, or regrow damaged organs. Again, a lot of skill & knowledge is required to use it properly.

Quintessence: The main substance in the sap of the World Tree, this liquid is a biological catalyst that provides nutritional materials for organic lifeforms. It is used to make stuff along the lines of Lembas Bread, Nutrient Tonics, and Food Pills. IT MUST BE DILUTED TO USE SAFELY.

Proto-Matter/Yliastrum: This is the raw material the gods used to make all physical matter. It is how the Echo Planes replicate geology, artificial structures, and manufactured objects, as well as being used in Conjuration Spells and by material replicators. It can become anything, with the right skill, knowledge, and tools.

Phlogiston: From miniature suns to Alchemist's Fire to fuel for starships, if it involves combustion, Phlogiston is how it's done. This stuff is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS & even a tiny amount can be incredibly destructive if mishandled. USE WITH CARE.

Gravitium: On Planes where gravity normally doesn't exist, Gravitium provides it. On Planes where it is present, Gravitium provides anti-gravity. From floating castles to gravity plating on starships, this material is quite versatile, if handled correctly.

Voltriston (working name): The electrical equivalent of Phlogiston, Voltriston is how Alchemist's Shock and Power Cells are made. From magical weapons to batteries, Voltriston has tons of uses but must be handled with extreme care for obvious reasons.

And that's what I have so far with the Primordial Planes. What do you guys think? Do you have alternative or additional suggestions? Remember, some Planes can overlap, so while there are only eight slots, more than one Plane can go in a slot. Please, share your thoughts!
Patrick-Leigh, as always I am blown away by your worldbuilding. I would very much like to know more about these 'Primordial Planes'. I think that if your goal is versatility, you have all the tools you need, although I'm unsure how you plan to narrow it down more for each individual plane. How exactly would magic work on any given plane, and how would it connect to this system?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So...admittedly, I dont see Patrick Leigh on the site very much, and there's not a lot of point jumping on this if he's never gonna read it, or the issue has moved on.

I will say, it looks nicely done, and I admire the effort and thought that went into. It reminds me of my RPG days with all the Planes DnD brought out. Particularly the meta planes, like the astral, prime material, and ethereal, as well the elemental planes.

From that perspective, I think they are very cool, make for interesting stuff to occur, and can spark some neat story, or game group details.

I cant say I can give this a lot of thought as to what is missing. Cause it seems to me, if I want to get very granular, I can come up with an endless list. Does each deserve a plain?

But...its later in the day, and my brain has turned on. My question with this is the whole of idea of such planes in the first place. Which I would discard cause it more fun if I do. But my question is, if gods need the proto-matter plane to create stuff, where did the proto-matter plane come from? And the notion of a primordial plane is...well...is that not a transient term? Things are primordial only because they are the beginning of a process, and later become something more evolved? Should not primordial mean just those planes at an earlier state and not a permanent one?

But I would also ask if an elemental plane of fire could really exist as well. I mean...must it not have stuff from the other planes to actually be burning?

I like it. I am not sure what I would add, or take away. If I was still doing RPG'ing, I might like it in my toolbox.