• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Walking Dead

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Couldn't agree more. Unless the writing gets things back on track, this may be the last season I watch. Seems to me that Kirkman and company are choosing shock value over substance. I guess we'll see.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

I think this is the first time watching that I'm not eager to see the next episode. I could really take it or leave it.

I suppose looking at the spin off Fear the Walking dead, I shouldn't be surprised quality has dropped. That show is utterly terrible. But I watch because I AM hoping to see some main character deaths. :p In some ways it's so bad, it's almost good. Everyone is so stupid in that show.

Any way, I heard a reviewer say one thing the show kind of lost was any sort of sense of adventure and hope. It kind of died along the road to this. I tend to agree. They have to give me something to hang on to.

I think they wanted that to be revenge on Negan, but honestly, I'm not pissed at Negan. I'm pissed at the show runners and writers. And I think it started with that stupid cliffhanger at the end of last season.

C

Chessie

Okay, but they've been hanging on to the whole image/concept of Negan for what? Two seasons? At the end of one was where Darryl, Abraham, and the one chick's name I can never remember (Tyrese's sis), where holed up on the road by the biker gang who said they were Negan. Then there was the season after that/last season where Rick's group wiped them all out. It's kind of pissed me off.

My husband made the comment last night that he also wasn't mad at Negan but was annoyed at the fact that his character has taken so long to reveal and that the show is only going to toy with us for however many seasons now. Like they did with the Governor. Although I do think they did the Governor rather well.

I don't remember much about Negan except a few key things because I stopped reading shortly after Glenn's death. So some of the material will be new but I kind of want to continue reading now vs watching the show. If you guys ever go back to Seasons 1-4, they are so, so good. Full of action and zombie threats. The zombies are an afterthought now which really has killed it for me.

C

Chessie

Ok, I'm seriously done now. What the heck is up with that Ezekiel character? The whole thing was just weird and I went to bed last night feeling empty and lonely for the days when zombies were really a part of this series. I suppose 6 seasons of awesomeness should be enough to satiate me for the rest of my days. I just can't continue on with this mess and Carol...groan.

C

Chessie

We were out of town when the 2nd one aired so yes, we are behind an episode. However, we don't care to see the next one, especially now with what you've said. The writing has turned to horseshit. It's incredibly lame. But what can we expect after 6 seasons and a spin off? Maybe he's just that tired...

SeverinR

Vala
A friend got me to watch Walking dead.
I'm up to season 3, I seriously doubt I will be watching much longer.

The villains get all the breaks, they are super human(cornered by 8 zombies when he runs out of ammo and he survives without a scratch[because if he was scratched, he would have turned.) The whole Governor series was kept going because it was the way the writer wanted (It's not in the script). When the governor lost his eye, he was dead but she was stopped, when asked why she did it, she walked away rather then end the governors run. I truly felt nothing when Andrea died. It was clear the "writer god" targeted her and there was nothing going to save her. At the CDC I didn't agree with her wanting to stay. But now, I see she was right, they should have all stayed. Basically, I was done with this series when he grabbed Andrea before Rick saw her. Even more when the next seen he drives into town with her totally quiet. And in the end, The governor fought off 8 zombies while unarmed and cornered and Andrea couldn't fight off one in the Governors playroom. (She had both hands free and she still got bit)
I know there is a new "governor" in the future and writers don't usually mellow, so next time it will be worse.
I liked the show, but when the writer gods just manipulated the situations to much. I will probably finish the season, just to see if the Governor ever loses. (Last seen driving away after gunning down his townspeople. ie he won again.)

I am also tired of brainless zombies sneaking up on people when it's most convenient to the plot.

SeverinR

Vala
Just an update...
Still watching, I am on Season 6 episode 4, Should be caught up by Feb return date.

The writers are still playing the odds almost always against the main characters. But not blatantly as with the governor. (Basically the Governor, in role playing jargon, crit'd (20) his rolls numerous times to do what he did, and the characters crit failed (1) numerous of their rolls.)

Basically this show is a train wreck, we just can't stop watching.

SeverinR

Vala
Walking fans and military geeks...
The episode I just watched, Abraham finds a RPG. Is this a technical error or did I miss a UN symbol?
RPG is a Russian/Eastern block weapon on an American soldier.

It saved them, but it could have just as easily been an America weapon. (m203, M79 are more common than RPG's and anti tank.)

SeverinR

Vala
I never thought about it...
Walkers, biters, growlers, but no one ever calls them zombies.

I think I finally made it to 2016. (season 6 episode 11, I think.)

SeverinR

Vala
New Walking Dead:
definitely a building episode.

It is really strange how they are making "bullet reloading" as some mystic rocket science.
A few simple machines and they could be popping out bullets quickly. Most people would not even recognize them as reloads, and they will penetrate a wooden bat. You definitely don't need a large machine shop either.

SeverinR

Vala
3rd show since the return.
Still seems like they are building/rebuilding after the fall finale where Lucille opened up on some of the group.