• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Thoughts and Opinions

Akira444

Scribe
Hey, there! I'm new to the site, and I'm just throwing this little topic out there for all to read. Just wanted to see what people thought of the magic system I thought up for my fantasy world. Anyway, here it is:

Magic is the practice of manipulating the elements. There are seven elements in magic-five "physical" elements: fire, water, earth, air, and lightning, and two "abstract" elements, light and darkness. Magicians, also known as mages, are trained to use their energy to manipulate the nature of the world.

Magic is fueled by mana, life energy present in all living beings. One of the first fundamental steps of magic is learning to control one's mana. If you can't do that, then you won't be able to properly do magic.

All human magic in the world draws power from the seven elements. A mage can draw upon these elements to cast different spells; for example, an air mage can cast wind and conjuration spells. Every person has an affinity to an element, and as such, their powers and abilities reflect that element.

Air

Air is the physical element associated with the sky and wind. Air magic deals with aeromancy, conjuration, sound, and empathy.

Water

Water is the physical element associated with both fluids on the earth and fluids in the body. Water magic deals with hydromancy, healing, purification, potions, and scrying.

Earth

Earth is the physical element associated with all things linked to the earth-from stones and metals to plants and animals. Earth magic deals with geomancy, plant manipulation, animal bonding, warding, and physical enhancements.

Fire

Fire is the physical element associated with heat and flames. Fire magic deals with pyromancy, warmth, rage, passion, destruction, affection, and transformation.

Lightning

Lightning is the physical element associated with electricity and magnetism. Lightning magic deals with electrokinesis, magnetism, speed, knowledge and information.

Light

Light is the abstract element associated with life and the spirit. Light magic deals with phosphoromancy, illusions, psychic abilities, and communication with spirits.

Darkness

Darkness is the abstract element associated with death and the body. Dark magic deals with umbrakinesis, space, gravity, curses, summoning and blood manipulation.

Pretty sure elemental powers are a tried and true trope in fantasy. This isn't a critical statement. It has been done before, and it will be done again, and people will probably like it.

It's good to question everything, though, especially the tropes. For example: Why does darkness= death? This is a fairly ingrained assumption in pop culture, but it's just that, an assumption, and doesn't have to hold true in a fantasy world. Any reason for it?

Akira444

Scribe
Pretty sure elemental powers are a tried and true trope in fantasy. This isn't a critical statement. It has been done before, and it will be done again, and people will probably like it.

It's good to question everything, though, especially the tropes. For example: Why does darkness= death? This is a fairly ingrained assumption in pop culture, but it's just that, an assumption, and doesn't have to hold true in a fantasy world. Any reason for it?
Well, being the opposite of light, which represents life, naturally I made darkness equal death, but not necessarily in an evil way. Light and dark, as abstract elements in this world, represent the mind and body, life and death, opposing forces that are two halves of the same whole. Dar magic, aside from encompassing natural forces, also embody magic that affects the body, like blood magic.